Author Topic: Slippery Zowie EC1-A  (Read 15611 times)

Offline Tactile

Slippery Zowie EC1-A
« on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 12:12:37 »
I really like my EC1-A except the finish/coating. It's a black matte & to look at it seems that it would offer a nice grippy surface.

In handling it though, it's almost like a bead-blasted surface & is very slippery when my hands are dry. I can't even lift the mouse without it slipping from my hand.

If I grip the mouse for just a few minuites I get a small amount of sweat on my hand & now the mouse is quite grippy & feels great.

I don't like the initial slipperiness and simply being unsure before I grab the mouse what feel/grip I'll have.

I've put electrical tape on it & that works great. However I'm not too fond of the idea of taping a mouse I've had less than 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any experience with the new Zowie finish? Is it slippery for you? How do you deal with it?
REΛLFORCE

Offline ADFX_Pixy

Re: Slippery Zowie EC1-A
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 16:33:38 »
I have the Zowie EC2-A and I love the new coating of the mouse. The granular finish does get a little slick when my hands are dry but my hands are usually a little sweaty/oily when I'm gaming. I personally find the finish better than on the Deathadder and other popular gaming mice.
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline platypus

• dongerino adventures
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 16:49:47 »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 17:08:07 »
Thanks for the replies, folks. And that teppeki material looks very interesting -might have to grab some of that stuff.

In the end I changed my grip & all is good now. I knew the problem had to be me because no-one else mentioned it. The mouse is still a bit slippery at first but I can grip it & lift it. Also, I like the idea of a finish which gets grippier instead of slippery as your hand sweats.

And this Zowie is really a great mouse. I like it well enough I'm saving my lunch money for a ZA-12  :D.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 September 2015, 17:12:51 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Draxor

• Generic Idiot
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 00:39:55 »
Thanks for the replies, folks. And that teppeki material looks very interesting -might have to grab some of that stuff.

Someone over at reddit used grip tape for weapons on the side of the mouse, probably gets you the same result - looked really nice as well

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 00:52:40 »
I've got an FK-1 and it's kinda the same, but my hands get sweaty pretty quick when gaming, so I don't usually run into the issue of slipping. I love Zowie's stuff though! Simple, yet great quality!

Offline Draxor

• Generic Idiot
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:08:57 »
I've got an FK-1 and it's kinda the same, but my hands get sweaty pretty quick when gaming, so I don't usually run into the issue of slipping. I love Zowie's stuff though! Simple, yet great quality!

Fellow FK1 user here, never had this problem in my 6-ish months of using it, amazing mouse though

Offline KingWhoDat

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 01:52:59 »
This stuff is amazing.... it's textured rubber vs. that sandpapery feel which is much nicer to the digits.

TALON Grips Rubber Material Sheet, 5" x 7", Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FLQO5IU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RQi.xb8EANA48

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Marizen

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 16:30:31 »
I really like my EC1-A except the finish/coating. It's a black matte & to look at it seems that it would offer a nice grippy surface.

In handling it though, it's almost like a bead-blasted surface & is very slippery when my hands are dry. I can't even lift the mouse without it slipping from my hand.

If I grip the mouse for just a few minutes I get a small amount of sweat on my hand & now the mouse is quite grippy & feels great.

Exact same problem here. It's so bad that I can't even stand to use it. In order to get it to grip from the start I have to blow hot air onto my hand, but if it cools back down it's back to being impossible for me to hold on to.

It's probably my favorite shape out of any mouse, but I'm not putting grippy stuff on it. I'm also not a huge fan of the switches because they're suuuper easy to click and when I was trying to make it work I was mis-clicking constantly. I just went back to my Rival as my palm grip mouse. My EC1-A will go in my mouse drawer with the rest of my mouses that I don't really care for but I'm collecting to make into a wall mural type thing eventually.

Offline cmd

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 09:59:53 »
I have the Zowie EC2-A and I love the new coating of the mouse. The granular finish does get a little slick when my hands are dry but my hands are usually a little sweaty/oily when I'm gaming. I personally find the finish better than on the Deathadder and other popular gaming mice.

To go off this comment...I had an early rev EC2-A and it quickly started to shine. I was fortunate enough that Amazon because it sounded like something was rattling inside. They sent a brand new one about a month or so ago. I was pleased to see that Zowie has used a new coating. I haven't noticed that there is any shine whatsoever. I haven't noticed it getting too slick though.

The scroll wheel and mouse 5 and 6 buttons are still utter **** though  :-[