Author Topic: Will an Omron D2F switch work with a CST L TracX?  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Scars Unseen

Will an Omron D2F switch work with a CST L TracX?
« on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 20:18:17 »
I've had my L TracX for about 6 years now, and I recently started getting double-clicking problems on the left button, so I was planning on ordering some replacement switches.  I was going to go with the Omron D2F since there's a lot of information about that one available, but when I took apart my trackball, I noticed that the D2F appears to have 3 leads, while the L TracX only has 2 pads to solder for each switch.  The switches currently in there are small and brown(and unlabeled).  Would the D2F be a suitable sub(are all three leads needed for operation?), or would it be better to try to identify the switches currently in there and get an identical replacement?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Will an Omron D2F switch work with a CST L TracX?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 20:29:33 »

Post a picture from TOP down (of the pcb) and Tp4 can tell you if it fits.

Also, check with the multi meter if it's a Normally (closed)  or normally (open)  switch.

My guess is, it's using the brown point switches like in the WMO,  in which case you can refer to my WMO ultimate thread, because that has you cutting one of the leads to the D2F switch as well..

Link below

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 21:36:57 »
Best as I can tell from this thread:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56386.0

This uses the square Panasonic style switch, not a Omron DF2 style:
http://my.element14.com/panasonic-electronic-components/evqp0e07k/switch-6-2x6-2mm-0-74n/dp/2079570#ProductSubstitutes

Omron makes something similar (and 4x the cost) called a B3M-6009 tactile switch, scroll down on the link above and you will see that they interchange, however, don't presume the Omron to be of any better quality or longevity.

Either way, this should give you the info you need to replace it, looks like an easy trackball to work on.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Scars Unseen

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 22:22:18 »
Best as I can tell from this thread:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56386.0

This uses the square Panasonic style switch, not a Omron DF2 style:
http://my.element14.com/panasonic-electronic-components/evqp0e07k/switch-6-2x6-2mm-0-74n/dp/2079570#ProductSubstitutes

Omron makes something similar (and 4x the cost) called a B3M-6009 tactile switch, scroll down on the link above and you will see that they interchange, however, don't presume the Omron to be of any better quality or longevity.

Either way, this should give you the info you need to replace it, looks like an easy trackball to work on.

Yeah, that part matches up visually with what I've got in my trackball.  Good eye.  And yeah, this is probably the easiest input device to disassemble that I've run across.  Probably helps that it actually was intended to be worked on by the user.

Show Image

Post a picture from TOP down (of the pcb) and Tp4 can tell you if it fits.

Also, check with the multi meter if it's a Normally (closed)  or normally (open)  switch.

My guess is, it's using the brown point switches like in the WMO,  in which case you can refer to my WMO ultimate thread, because that has you cutting one of the leads to the D2F switch as well..

Link below

Thanks for pointing out your mod.  I ordered some D2F-01 switches as well as the Panasonic ones Leslieann linked to.  Between the two, I figure I'll get it done.  I'm thinking of trying to mod my scroll wheel to be less loose as well.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 02:05:06 »
Yeah, that part matches up visually with what I've got in my trackball.  Good eye.  And yeah, this is probably the easiest input device to disassemble that I've run across.  Probably helps that it actually was intended to be worked on by the user.
Everything I saw pointed to it being very user friendly to work on, a nice change of pace from everything I've messed with lately.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 22:03:12 »
I can't tell from those photos if they're SMD versions of the switch.. or through holes..

double check..

if it's through-hole,  then the omron should work, as the orientation looks like you can sneak the d2f in there..

If there's a slight height offset, just file or shave the plastic leg of the trackball shell which contacts the switch.

Offline Scars Unseen

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 05:45:29 »
It's through-hole.  I checked that when I took my trackball apart.