Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 643629 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 11:05:44 »
What would people recommend for a first car between $2-4k? I'm 31 and figured I ought to get a car by now.

Room doesn't matter, safety doesn't matter, speed doesn't matter. Just looking for something reliable stylish and comfortable. Good handling is a big plus.
also interested in this
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #301 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:11:01 »
What would people recommend for a first car between $2-4k? I'm 31 and figured I ought to get a car by now.

Room doesn't matter, safety doesn't matter, speed doesn't matter. Just looking for something reliable stylish and comfortable. Good handling is a big plus.
also interested in this

I can't really help as I'm not in the USA and you guys have so many mid-range sedans I don't even know where to start
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #302 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:47:24 »

also interested in this

Maybe an older 2001-2002 Lexus IS 300 would be a good option? They seem pretty reliable, fast enough, and comfy while not being boring.
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #303 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 13:47:30 »
An older Volkswagen Golf IV ... these things are indestructible, it's not even funny.
But don't know the situation over there in USA, so I cannot help you really.

Offline dante

« Reply #304 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 14:06:05 »
An older Volkswagen Golf IV ... these things are indestructible, it's not even funny.
But don't know the situation over there in USA, so I cannot help you really.

Over here in the US the Golf IV is known as one of the most unreliable Golfs VW ever made!  Sure you'll run into someone who has had no issues but overall they were not made very well.  This is my experience (ex GL TDI owner) as well as other folks who have owned them.

I'm not anti-VW because the Golf VII "S" is a possible replacement.  I'd probably stick with the standard 6 speed auto as I think it's rape to charge $400USD for DSG fluid changes.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #305 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 16:55:03 »
Over here in the US the Golf IV is known as one of the most unreliable Golfs VW ever made!

Are we talking about the same car?

This is said to be a superb car here in Germany. And I can confirm that. My mother owns one first hand since 2001 and I get to drive it regularly.
It has nearly 200.000 km on it and is still going. It was poorly maintained, got beaten hard, my brother and me learned how to drive on this thing. This car went through hard times and is still going. I'm really impressed.
Built quality is solid. Interieur feels good, no rattle, no noise. No comparison to, let's say, a Ford Focus or a Ford Ka of the same year.
No bigger issues with it, just smaller stuff that can happen with any other car.

In concern of the hard times this car went trough (poorly maintained, got beaten hard, daily driven, 2 driving beginners) and the little problems we had with it, i can honestly say: Respect to VW for this car. I'm really impressed that this thing is still driving.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 04:10:57 »
Show Image

just paid off a 2012 imprezza

and racoon just ran into car, took the passenger side fog light cover with him.

Offline dante

« Reply #307 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 09:00:35 »
Over here in the US the Golf IV is known as one of the most unreliable Golfs VW ever made!

Are we talking about the same car?

Yes we are!  Maybe Germany kept all the best Golf IV's for itself but ours were pretty lousy.

It wasn't until the Golf V w/ 2.5 5-cylinder that people started trusting them again.  I can tell you first hand that my 2000 Golf GL TDI had some serious build quality issues.

I currently have a Volvo C30 but am getting tired of the manual transmission.  I fell in love with the aesthetics but after 20k/mi I'm facing the reality that the clutch/shifter is absolute crap.  Besides that I just don't want to shift anymore ...

My next potential rides are either going to be a Golf VII S or Kia Forte 5.

Ford Fiesta/Focus is out of the picture because the Powershift Automatic is a ticking timebomb.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #308 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 11:19:43 »
With Golfs, you do well to steer clear of the Mk3 and 5 I believe.

The rest are pretty much bulletproof.

Offline dante

« Reply #309 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 11:30:56 »

Part of another issue is how much cheaper we get cars in the US.   I think the Golf ends up being as much as 35% more expensive over seas which leads me to think there is some cost cutting somewhere.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #310 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 11:44:46 »
The wife has a 2014 GTI and at 14k miles she was low on coolant, added some more and it was low a day later. Took it to the dealer and there was a crack on the water pump housing so they replaced it. Apparently this is a common issue on those motors. That's kind of disconcerting considering changing a water pump is no light task.

She had a 2012 TDI Sportwagon and that vehicle was far superior, unfortunately someone ran a red light, hit her, and totaled it. She should have just gotten another one but wanted something different. I don't think we'll end up keeping the GTI that long. It gets pitiful MPG and cant really carry anything, just like my Evo, just not nearly to the level of performance an Evo is, so why bother.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #311 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 13:41:55 »
If you aren't in America the answer is Scirocco

The car market in america is crap.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline dante

« Reply #312 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:34:59 »

The upcoming Ford Focus RS has renewed my faith in humanity.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #313 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 18:17:09 »

But.... it's a Ford...

And the Scirocco is truly a thing of beauty

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #314 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 18:27:50 »
Speaking of Fords...

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #315 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 22:36:58 »

The lack of cool wagons and OG JDM cancels that out.

Speaking of Fords...

Show Image

Show Image

That's a kit right? I only say that because of the headlights, engine, and color but I could be wrong. Still sick if it's a kit!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 05:52:47 »
That's a kit right? I only say that because of the headlights, engine, and color but I could be wrong. Still sick if it's a kit!

I don't think it is. The guy told me it was real.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #317 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 07:16:10 »

Yeah, unfortunately I think the Mk2, 4 and 6 don't look as good as the 3, 5 and 7...

We've had some troubles with our Mk5. Battery was dying in the cold, whenever it wasn't used for a few days and it got below -15 or so the battery would be dead. When the charge in a cell is low it is susceptible to freezing, so we've had to replace the battery twice due to this issue.

I read online about a class action suit in Canada for this issue caused by the driver's door wiring harness being to short and with poor quality insulation, so the insulation woud rub when the door was opened / closed, crack and split and cause wires to make contact that should not be touching. Our local dealer refused to believe that something like that could be the cause, they kept insiting it was the battery itself or some other issue, but they couldn't find the problem. They would not admit there was a design fault.

Even though the harness has been redesigned.

So we replaced the harness at the next service and hey presto, problem fixed. Still no owning up to the problem... Cost a pretty penny in labour to install it, too.

@katushkin: Did you know there is a "continuation series" of GT40 made by High Tech Automotive in South Africa and sold by Superformance. They're made to the same spec as the original (with a couple of nods to modernity) and own the GT40 brand, so they're "genuine" GT40's:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/18045-tiff-needell-superformance-gt40-mk11.html
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #318 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 07:19:52 »
On a related note (classic performance cars), I still love the form of the Porsche 718 RSK. You can't truly appreciate it until you've seen it in motion. That front end is simply the most beautiful one of all cars ever made, IMHO:

Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #319 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 16:04:05 »

Yeah, unfortunately I think the Mk2, 4 and 6 don't look as good as the 3, 5 and 7...

We've had some troubles with our Mk5. Battery was dying in the cold, whenever it wasn't used for a few days and it got below -15 or so the battery would be dead. When the charge in a cell is low it is susceptible to freezing, so we've had to replace the battery twice due to this issue.

I read online about a class action suit in Canada for this issue caused by the driver's door wiring harness being to short and with poor quality insulation, so the insulation woud rub when the door was opened / closed, crack and split and cause wires to make contact that should not be touching. Our local dealer refused to believe that something like that could be the cause, they kept insiting it was the battery itself or some other issue, but they couldn't find the problem. They would not admit there was a design fault.

Even though the harness has been redesigned.

So we replaced the harness at the next service and hey presto, problem fixed. Still no owning up to the problem... Cost a pretty penny in labour to install it, too.

@katushkin: Did you know there is a "continuation series" of GT40 made by High Tech Automotive in South Africa and sold by Superformance. They're made to the same spec as the original (with a couple of nods to modernity) and own the GT40 brand, so they're "genuine" GT40's:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/18045-tiff-needell-superformance-gt40-mk11.html

Well that's personal preference of course, but I think the Mk2 is the best parts of the 1 and 3, and I really dislike the Mk3...

I didn't know about those replicas. I am only going on what he told me, but I think it would be just as cool to drive one of those.

He had it under a tarp and I recognised the Gulf colours straight away. So yeah, he said it was real.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #320 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 16:30:46 »

Mk2 is the best, heretic   >:D

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #321 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 17:33:00 »

:D <3

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #322 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 08:02:40 »
I forgot to update this thread with better pictures.

Artsy shots.

.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #323 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 08:50:45 »
This gigantic fart-can + the humongous wing are looking absolutly ridiculous.  :))
everything else is very nice, of course  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 March 2015, 09:09:57 by Geroximo »

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #324 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 08:59:27 »
That jdm leggy is pretty sweet, must be a blast.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #325 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 15:41:26 »

Nah, the best by a long shot:

Designed by Giugiaro, just 810kg, the first "hot hatch". Legendary.

Actually, I'm not as crazy about the looks of the 3 as I grow older and the reliability, durability and driving feel of the 2 and 4 trump the 3 and 5. I think the reason I dislike the 2 is that it's like a "fat" Mk1 and I prefer the purity of the Mk1. And the 4 has those odd front lights that don't appeal to me. The 3 was also the first over the 1000kg mark... They just kept getting heavier, the lightest Mk5 is 1323kg. Mk6, 1450kg..... At least the 7 is lighter than the 6. If it continued the trend it may have been the first to weigh double the original.

I'd hesitate to even call the Superformance cars "replicas", they really are the same, with genuine serial numbers continuing from the original series. They're even approved for vintage racing. I'd accept that that one could be a "true" original, though, it certainly looks it. Most of the replicas and modern versions have swapped the gearchange lever to the centre, but that one's still on the right. She's a beauty!

Y, the wing and "auspuff" on the Legacy are a bit over the top, but overall that's a very sweet Scooby!
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #326 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 16:06:26 »

Nah, the best by a long shot:

Show Image

Designed by Giugiaro, just 810kg, the first "hot hatch". Legendary.

Actually, I'm not as crazy about the looks of the 3 as I grow older and the reliability, durability and driving feel of the 2 and 4 trump the 3 and 5. I think the reason I dislike the 2 is that it's like a "fat" Mk1 and I prefer the purity of the Mk1. And the 4 has those odd front lights that don't appeal to me. The 3 was also the first over the 1000kg mark... They just kept getting heavier, the lightest Mk5 is 1323kg. Mk6, 1450kg..... At least the 7 is lighter than the 6. If it continued the trend it may have been the first to weigh double the original.

I'd hesitate to even call the Superformance cars "replicas", they really are the same, with genuine serial numbers continuing from the original series. They're even approved for vintage racing. I'd accept that that one could be a "true" original, though, it certainly looks it. Most of the replicas and modern versions have swapped the gearchange lever to the centre, but that one's still on the right. She's a beauty!

Y, the wing and "auspuff" on the Legacy are a bit over the top, but overall that's a very sweet Scooby!

I agree, the Mk1 is amazing. Small, quick, original, nice looking, just generally awesome.

However, I think the Mk2 still has decent handling, the small bumper ones look better than the big bumper ones which I think is why they look fat. But they have more space, the 5 doors are really quite big inside.

I wouldn't mind a Mk1 caddy though... But I think if I got a second car it would be a Jetta. Mk2 probably, but a Mk1 if I could find one.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #327 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 16:43:09 »
Anyone else watching Sebring?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #328 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 14:33:49 »
Some nice footage of a  '59 RSK: http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/kevin-hart-you-look-amazing-in-the-wind

The engine sound... hoohooo!
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline dante

« Reply #329 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 17:22:05 »
RIP Wallet...

That's beautiful..but $28k for a 18 yr old car!? No way.  Original tires from 97..unusable now.

Auction ended at $43,300 w/ 87 bids.

You are right - it will need some tires and such - but I challenge you to find an Integra Type R in better condition than this.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #330 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 07:23:49 »
You have really got to like tegs to spend that much on one lol!

Offline nova779

« Reply #331 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 09:07:29 »
I'm only 17 so I don't have much driving experience but my father owned a shop for around twenty years so I have a bit of knowledge about cars and help him and my family whenever I can. I have a two door 1990 S10 Tahoe Blazer which is basically as stock as it came besides replacing all the stuff that breaks or isn't just right. I only have one decent picture of it and it's in the ditch, but there was no damage to it.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #332 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 10:58:58 »
This gigantic fart-can + the humongous wing are looking absolutly ridiculous.  :))
everything else is very nice, of course  :thumb:

They were on the car when i bought it but honestly i really like how the wing squares off the back anyways and the exhaust is a little large but my choice wouldn't have been much smaller as i enjoy larger single exit exhausts.
I'm also in Japan where's there much less judgement about how your car is done up =)

That jdm leggy is pretty sweet, must be a blast.

Dude this thing's amazing, i'm still not used to it so i'm getting headaches from the g-force that i get from the acceleration and the grip i can get out of it in turns XD
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #333 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 18:45:40 »
I'm only 17 so I don't have much driving experience but my father owned a shop for around twenty years so I have a bit of knowledge about cars and help him and my family whenever I can. I have a two door 1990 S10 Tahoe Blazer which is basically as stock as it came besides replacing all the stuff that breaks or isn't just right. I only have one decent picture of it and it's in the ditch, but there was no damage to it.
Show Image

I had one of those as my first car and I had a blast in that thing. Something you could drive at the limit a LOT and stay mostly out of trouble (except the ditch).

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 18:49:51 »
After giving up on finding a reasonably priced lip for the Evo last year, the good folks at Bayson R on eBay released a $100 poly version of the $$$ JDP carbon lip. I know the aero effect is probably negligible, but I like the look of lips after having them on my Subys. It came today, install was a breeze, and since I don't post much on the Evo boards (lotta douchery) I might as well share on a good forum.

No lip (for reference)

Lip

I think it kind of balances out the trunk.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #335 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:12:32 »
Do Evo X come without a wing or did you take it off?
So clean looking ...  :thumb:

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #336 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:17:05 »
Thanks!
The GSR version (manual) comes with a Wing. I traded it for a low wing from an MR version.
Then my garage door got closed on it. It was going to cost as much to fix the factory part as it was to buy a Do-Luck style carbon fiber trunk and have it painted, so I went that route.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #337 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:55:07 »
This is nothing compared to all you guys with your fancy race cars, but my new car finally came in!  The dealer put new tires on it and delivered it yesterday.  :)

2010 Subaru Outback by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

^-^

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #338 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 13:40:49 »
This is nothing compared to all you guys with your fancy race cars, but my new car finally came in!  The dealer put new tires on it and delivered it yesterday.  :)

Show Image

^-^

Congrats :D

Should be awesome to drive around haha

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #339 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 17:37:14 »
Those things are tanks, perfect bad weather car. The confidence you have with AWD and the proper tires feels great.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #340 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 18:48:59 »
After giving up on finding a reasonably priced lip for the Evo last year, the good folks at Bayson R on eBay released a $100 poly version of the $$$ JDP carbon lip. I know the aero effect is probably negligible, but I like the look of lips after having them on my Subys. It came today, install was a breeze, and since I don't post much on the Evo boards (lotta douchery) I might as well share on a good forum.

No lip (for reference)
Show Image

Lip

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice, I like it both before and after the lip.

Sorry, gotta mention this, since I also drive a turbo car and it kinda bothers me. How come you have the license plate mounted like that?

You're blocking atleast 30% of the intercooler, that's not good for your turbos, as the air will be hotter, you want the air to be cold and dense before reaching the turbos for the maximum efficiency.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #341 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 21:20:14 »

Show Image

^-^

I can't wait to fool around in that big ass backseat. Congrats on the new car!!

No lip (for reference)
Show Image

Lip

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Cool, I like how the mods on your car are subtle :).

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #342 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 18:14:43 »
We took the V8 out for play time this weekend  :cool:

We had some other interesting stuff racing with us too:

I am waiting for some of our other photographers to get back with the photos from the Britcar Trophy Championship on the Sunday, these were all from the main British Endurance Championship on Saturday.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #343 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 18:44:05 »
I've started thinking...

List what you guys think are wolves in sheep's clothing.
Example: 135i N54 and 335i. Also the new M235i with the N55 has a forged bottom end.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #344 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 12:20:10 »

Nice, I like it both before and after the lip.

Sorry, gotta mention this, since I also drive a turbo car and it kinda bothers me. How come you have the license plate mounted like that?

You're blocking atleast 30% of the intercooler, that's not good for your turbos, as the air will be hotter, you want the air to be cold and dense before reaching the turbos for the maximum efficiency.

Badass stuff Freebird, that looks like it would be an amazing experience.

To Karura, I bought the car new and I cant bring myself into drilling into the bumper. There is no threaded tow hook attachment in the bumper of the USDM models, so I cant use one of those tow hook plate mounts. Safety wiring the plate to the grill is the only solution for now. I know its stupid and covers air flow, I just don't have any other options besides paying out the butt for some JDM tow hook hardware with a JDM beam or drilling into the bumper. The car runs great and doesn't heat up, but I honesty don't push it hard over any extended period of time.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:39:29 »
I've started thinking...

Example: 135i N54 and 335i. Also the new M235i with the N55 has a forged bottom end.

Funny thing is I said earlier in this thread about getting a new car and the 335i was on the list. However I have been thinking about a 135i Coupe over the last week or so. Just need to find one to go and drive! They are a rare sight over here, I think they look quite muscular and as you say a bit of a sleeper, I think I have come down to that or a Cayman S from about 2007.

When you love cars it is so hard picking just one!

Offline AbyssPWNS

« Reply #346 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 08:41:40 »
I've started thinking...

Funny thing is I said earlier in this thread about getting a new car and the 335i was on the list. However I have been thinking about a 135i Coupe over the last week or so. Just need to find one to go and drive! They are a rare sight over here, I think they look quite muscular and as you say a bit of a sleeper, I think I have come down to that or a Cayman S from about 2007.

When you love cars it is so hard picking just one!
I got my 07 335i about a week ago, and I'm in love with it. Haven't driven a 135i, but I can strongly recommend a 335i. It's a great balance of comfort, handling, and power, all while being a bit of a sleeper.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #347 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 21:04:30 »
I got my 07 335i about a week ago, and I'm in love with it. Haven't driven a 135i, but I can strongly recommend a 335i. It's a great balance of comfort, handling, and power, all while being a bit of a sleeper.

335i is OK, 335d is better, but all BMWs are overrated anyway.

Offline AbyssPWNS

« Reply #348 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 07:49:20 »

Eh, the diesel life isn't really for me. I haven't really found anything about this car, or any other BMW I've driven or been in, to be overrated.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #349 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 01:09:57 »

I would love to hear how you ended up with that conclusion :D

Guessing you drove them and owned them for a bit?