Author Topic: Old Cherry Keyboards - Key Cap swapping?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline cycloverid

Old Cherry Keyboards - Key Cap swapping?
« on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 16:16:46 »
The subject of Key Layouts, Stem placement and Stem type can be hard information to obtain on various keyboard models for a noob like me.  Sometimes I only get an image of the top of the keyboard and have to go on that.

What I want to do is: swap double shot keys from a Cherry Keyboard into a Filco Majestouch 2.

I found a great quality white Cherry G80-3234HQU online for $50.  As I've read here, the H means it has doubleshots.  It also has the mechanical axis stem.  I know that the bottom row won't fit at all based on the size of the keys.  But, everything else looks great to me.

It's exactly this layout that I saw over on Deskthority:

My questions now: Will all except the bottom keys fit like I think?  Is there another Cherry board that would have doubleshots that fit on the bottom?  Is it possible to buy one that fits all?

Thanks a ton for any help.

EDIT: Fixed an error in the model number.  It's 3234, not 3284.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2011, 16:31:52 by cycloverid »

Offline calavera

Old Cherry Keyboards - Key Cap swapping?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 16:23:14 »
Everything will fit except the bottom row and capslock. I assume the $50 is for a used one? You'll have to source multiple keyboards to replace all key caps with double shots. The bottom row is available in one model only as far as I know and it's close to impossible to get these days so I wouldn't even bother. Moogle kit from group buy 3 is the easiest replacement. But they're all sold out so either look for that in the future group buy #4 or try to buy one in the classifieds.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2011, 16:26:20 by calavera »