Author Topic: Noppoo Choc Mini (Black) or Tenkeyless Linear Touch (Red)  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Fluxiantor

Noppoo Choc Mini (Black) or Tenkeyless Linear Touch (Red)
« on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 21:54:15 »
SUMMARY AT THE BOTTOM IF TL;DR

So I've got a Razer Black Widow Ultimate (Blue switch), for which I will (at some point) be getting white key caps for. However, I've decided (much to my mum's dismay and confusion) that I want a second mechanical keyboard, one that's both smaller and of a different switch type. The BWU is loud for those on skype and also those trying to sleep in my house, however it's not too big of an issue, so the main reason I want one is for the aesthetics, room and comfort/enjoyment.

I was thinking about something with either a Red, Black or Brown switch. Brown switches I decided against because I want something completely different from my blues, something with no tactile feedback. I don't really know how stiff the black switches are compared to the red, but in general I think I'd prefer the lighter red switches (but of course without trying them I can't say for sure). With this in mind, and also my very low budget (as close to £50 as possible), my 2 choices for a new keyboard are as follows:

1) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noppoo-Choc-Mini-84-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Black-/250856181065?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice&hash=item3a68318d49#ht_6181wt_1163
2) http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rraw

With the white one I'd probably buy black keycaps, and with the black I'd buy white ones. Any help one which one I would be better buying? I'm siding more towards the leopold one because of the red switches, and (I believe) it's slightly cheaper, comes with a red esc key and I've seen more demonstrations of it that look good. Also I think I'd have to get the version that isn't blank (even though I'd prefer the blank ones) simply because I'm not used to the ANSI layout.

My second question is unrelated to the choice between the two, but related to the choice in general. I want a compact, cheap keyboard with red or black switches (as those above fit the description of), however, the only ones I can find on any site that fit those requirements have the US ANSI layout. I'm from the UK and have used the ISO keyboard layout all my life. If I buy either of these, how long will it take me to adjust? Should I wait until I can find an ISO one, or maybe wait until I can afford a more expensive ISO one?

So to summarise:
-> Pro's and cons of the 2 keyboards I listed? (Alternatives to them for the same budget welcome too)
-> How hard will it be to transition to ANSI keyboard layout?

Offline Fluxiantor

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 09:04:16 »
anyone? The second question is one that probably needs answering the most. If I can adjust to the ANSI layout then that will mean I can get one of these, otherwise I can't get either.

Offline Fluxiantor

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 09:36:50 »
technically it's not april fools over here, it's past 12pm ;)

Offline Squelos

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 11:50:12 »
Go for the leopold. But take in otaku, far better.

And with customs and shipping, you will be well over 50pounds.
You will be closer to 130€ i believe.

Offline Fluxiantor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 12:10:13 »
Dayum didn't realise it would be like $50 for shipping. What's better about the otaku?

Offline Fluxiantor

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 16:06:02 »
I seem to have found less expensive asian ones that look similar. The reviews of them look good, but I can hardly find any reviews for the key cool one, whereas I can find a few for the PLU one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLU-ML-87-TKL-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-W-Cherry-MX-RED-Switches-/290620348010?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item43aa52966a#ht_2742wt_1220
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Key-Cool-87-Mechanical-Gaming-keyboard-Cherry-MX-Red-W-White-body-/290671062176?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item43ad586ca0#ht_3042wt_1220

Anyone know anything about these? I'm thinking of buying the PLU ML-87 and then buying a set of black, blank keycaps with red esc key and keep the white WASD.

Offline anselben

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 16:53:51 »
There's also the noppoo in white that you could get. Between that and the Leopold though.. I'm having a hard time deciding which layout i like better. I wish they would have an mx red filco that was white to just makeup my mind

Offline Fluxiantor

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 17:02:50 »
what about the PLU ML-87? It's significantly cheaper, including shipping, which is making me consider getting it rather than a more popular brand like Leopold or Filco.

Offline anselben

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 17:20:23 »
Well I don't know anything about them, never heard of them before. But if you're concerned about price, they aren't much cheaper then getting a leopold or noppoo. The Noppoo is 100 plus 10 shipping to US, and the Leopold is 89 and it came out to 10 for shipping to California. It's totally up to you, if you wanna save a few bucks just try and find reviews. But if it were me I'd probably go with the Noppoo or Leopold.

Offline dewaere

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 17:59:30 »
It took me two weeks to adjust from ISO French layout to ANSI US. So from ISO UK, I'd say only one week, maybe less :)
KBC Poker Red / IBM Model M 1987 / Das Keyboard 1 / Filco Majestouch 2 Tenleyless Brown / Nopoo minichoc Red / Cherry G80-1861 HBF Black / Qpad MK-80 Red / Zowie EC2 / Zowie Mico / Steelseries XAI / Steelseries KANA /  Microsoft IE 3.0 / Microsoft imo 1.1 / Microsoft wmo 1.1 / Logitech MX 518 / Logitech MX 300 / Logitech MX 310 / Razer DeathAdder 1800 / Razer  Diamondback 1600 / Logitech  G9X

Offline Fluxiantor

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 18:24:10 »
Well actually the cheapest leopold is £87 with P&P. The PLU is £65 with P&P. Bear in mind I live in the UK, for some reason that means it's $50 postage for the leopold XD

[edit]
so I guess the ANSI layout isn't too much of an issue then. Gunna do some more interwebz researching on the PLU, and if it seems good enough I'll get that, and also some keycaps when I can affford them.

Offline Fluxiantor

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 19:03:24 »
Apparently, the keycool is now considered better than the PLU. I've found a site that sells it for around £40 (but I don't know what the shipping to the UK will cost, anyone know?)
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-br/key-cool-87-mechanical-gaming-/lid=26561692

Seem legit and a good offer?

Offline dewaere

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 22:39:14 »
Scroll down the page for the shipping costs.
KBC Poker Red / IBM Model M 1987 / Das Keyboard 1 / Filco Majestouch 2 Tenleyless Brown / Nopoo minichoc Red / Cherry G80-1861 HBF Black / Qpad MK-80 Red / Zowie EC2 / Zowie Mico / Steelseries XAI / Steelseries KANA /  Microsoft IE 3.0 / Microsoft imo 1.1 / Microsoft wmo 1.1 / Logitech MX 518 / Logitech MX 300 / Logitech MX 310 / Razer DeathAdder 1800 / Razer  Diamondback 1600 / Logitech  G9X

Offline Fluxiantor

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 07:37:34 »
Looks like it will cost £60 including P&P. And apparently the OEM is leopold. Gunna get it when I have the money (soon) :)

Offline Fluxiantor

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 10:14:04 »
here's my options within this price range:
http://screensnapr.com/v/kaX33P.jpg
The numbers in brackets are time to deliver.
Looks like the bottom one from vendio.com is the best offer then, will be purchasing that soon :)

Offline anselben

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 22:10:09 »
Good luck with your buy!

Offline Tony

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 22:27:37 »
Black (60g) > Blue (55g) > Red (45g)
So you are in the middle road right now.
If you want to  type heavier than BWU, try black. If you want typing lighter, try red.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Human

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 02:16:23 »
Quote from: Fluxiantor;564515
Looks like it will cost £60 including P&P. And apparently the OEM is leopold. Gunna get it when I have the money (soon) :)

nope, the OEM for fc200r isn't keycool.
Keycool from China while 200r is Taiwan.
Only when fc700r they are somehow related.

If you want details of keycol, visit review subforum for it.

Offline Fluxiantor

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 05:28:13 »
Quote from: Tony;565255
Black (60g) > Blue (55g) > Red (45g)
So you are in the middle road right now.
If you want to  type heavier than BWU, try black. If you want typing lighter, try red.
I'd like a lighter typer :P Plus I'm not much of a typer anyway, apart from when it comes to college essays, I'm more of a gamer. I play SC2 and QuakeLive a lot. For gaming, I think reds will be better, however in SC2 people say having a tactile click is better, but that doesn't matter because I can simply switch to my BWU if that's the case. I've seen a few videos and the sound of the red seems really good. I didn't know just how stiff the black was though, but if it's more than this BWU, I'll stick to the reds :P

Quote from: Human;565425
nope, the OEM for fc200r isn't keycool.
Keycool from China while 200r is Taiwan.
Only when fc700r they are somehow related.

If you want details of keycol, visit review subforum for it.
I'll take a look on the subforum before I go out today. I'm going out to put money in the bank for ordering it haha. Whichever keyboard I get, I'll post back with how it is when it arrives.

[edit]
Turns out I can only order it in 3 days :(
They require paypal and it takes 3 days to confirm my bank account with paypal.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 April 2012, 06:20:54 by Fluxiantor »

Offline bosjaH

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 13:47:34 »
Regarding the ISO/ANSI question. Keep in mind you'll lose the backslash/pipe key (if you stick to UK qwerty).
So you'll probably have to switch to US qwerty or create a custom layout and remap that key.