Author Topic: help with a keyboard mod  (Read 1521 times)

Offline beshop

help with a keyboard mod
« on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 06:41:06 »
so, recently i got my hands on a cherry mx 8100 keyboard, which is a giant keyboard since it was extremely annoying to me with that size i decided to resize it, so i opened the keyboard up and i cut the pcb , removed the numbad and the extra buttons now after reconnecting the keyboard only few keys work would any one have an idea on how to fix this?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: help with a keyboard mod
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 09:31:12 »
I am no expert in keyboard PCB's or any other PCB. But i think you removed traces of the PCB that where needed to send the signal,current.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 10:06:10 »
Ummm... Because you destroyed the PCB?

Offline beshop

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 10:29:26 »
well i guess i'll get a new pcb then, thanks for ur help guys

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 10:40:20 »
well i guess i'll get a new pcb then, thanks for ur help guys

I don't want to sound mean or condescending, but why would you want to hack up a very unique keyboard like the 8100 anyway?

You could get a cheapo Cherry MY board and put a GH80-3000 PCB in it.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 16:47:12 »
Do you still have the part that you cut off?

First read up on the web somewhere how a keyboard matrix works, if you don't know already.

1. Select one key that does not work.
2. Trace the two traces to that key. If a trace does not lead back to the controller but to your cut-off numpad piece then trace where it goes on the numpad PCB and back again to the main PCB.
3. Solder a wire between two places on the main PCB to replace the trace on the numpad.
4. Then connect the keyboard and test all keys again. If you are lucky, one replacement wire will fix more than one key at once.
Repeat steps until all keys work.

A Multimeter with two probes and a "continuity test" mode would be very helpful in finding out where traces go.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 November 2018, 16:53:04 by Findecanor »