geekhack Community > Keyboards

Re-using desoldered MX switches in hotswap boards

(1/1)

sandywind:
Is that possible without compromising the socket? It is very hard to remove all tin residues from the contact pins. The pin diameter will be somewhat irregular and larger.

Rob27shred:

--- Quote from: sandywind on Sat, 04 December 2021, 08:15:23 ---Is that possible without compromising the socket? It is very hard to remove all tin residues from the contact pins. The pin diameter will be somewhat irregular and larger.

--- End quote ---

It is possible to use desoldered switches with hotswap PCBs, but like you said if the solder is not at least mostly removed it can damage the sockets. What I have done to make desoldered switches viable for hotswap is to just take a hot, tinned solder iron & run it down the pins. That will wick off any excess solder & make what stays form a very thin layer on the pins that won't push the sockets farther apart than a fresh pins. Obviously you have to be extra careful with the iron close to the bottom housing, but this method has worked many times for me.

Rafen:
I basically did what Rob did on my first hotswap board. The next board I bought I used brand new switches because removing the solder on the pins was so time consuming. So it can be done but it will take some time.

sandywind:
Thank you for your answers.  These used switches are Gateron black which I removed from a Varmilo due to chattering problems (some 10% of the switches had chattering problems).  Since they would be the first switches I lube, I'll use them as a test.  If I can't clean them properly, I'll consider buying some more JWK linears for my new board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version