Author Topic: [IC] Promenade - 60% Ortho pcb the takes ergodox keycaps (a Boardwalk clone)  (Read 14433 times)

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries

Frog Mini

HMKB - 60BW

PCB
Promenade

I love the Boardwalk. It is still my favorite keyboard concept after 10 years in this hobby, and one of the major reasons I got into ortholinear. One of the reasons I made copy was that I had ordered so many PCBs from MKUltra that at some point it would become more cost effective for me to just manufacture my own for personal use, but I also wanted some additional features. I prefer 1.5u center mods, so I would end up mill-maxing the solder version instead of using the Professional 2 version of the Boardwalk. I also found that I prefer 3u spacebars to 2u and wanted stab holes instead of making custom plates. With all of these gummy o-ring 60% boards, it seemed logical to add o-ring cuts to the board, along with a JST connector. So I made all these changes and called it the Promenade as a nod to the Boardwalk.

Let me know what you think!

I am also in the middle of designing a solder version that would have way more layouts and a bunch of encoder support.
IC Form
Discord

Features:
  • Atmega34u4
  • Kaihl Hotswap
  • ESD Protection
  • RGB Underglow
  • Gummy o-ring mounts for some o-ring boards*
  • JST connector for C3UDB
  • 6u/3u Spacebar stabilizer holes added
  • 1.5u center mods (with hotswap footprints for 1u columns)
Layouts
More
Promenade HS

More
*Solder version layouts (still being designed)

GB Details
Estimated run window: Late September~October
Estimated delivery: Q1 2024
Estimated price: $50~$60
*The solder version is still being designed, and will likely not be ready for GB until end of the year.

For years now, MKUltra has kept the Boardwalk in stock and available, but as he is closing shop and the Boardwalk PCBs are no longer in stock, the future of the Boardwalk is currently unknown (at least to me). So I have decide to run this IC to see if there is enough demand for me to order a batch as a GB. Assuming there is interest, I will run it alongside the TKL version, the Kousa TKL.

Offline Mr Chrome

This is my favourite Boardwalk layout too, would love to see in hotswap  :thumb:
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline rc42

i'm in. let's go!

Offline sugarfreemedia

I'm in as well. My only wish is for a better MCU than in the original Boardwalk. It didn't have enough memory. RP2040?
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 August 2023, 20:52:02 by sugarfreemedia »

Offline PhoenixUNI

Re: [IC] Promenade - 60% Ortho pcb the takes ergodox keycaps (a Boardwalk clone)
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 19:47:47 »
Definitely in. Can't wait!

Offline madImpulse

Re: [IC] Promenade - 60% Ortho pcb the takes ergodox keycaps (a Boardwalk clone)
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 03:08:05 »
I'm in for 2 (maybe an additional spare)

Offline riterdando

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 01:23:45 »
Great. I am in for one.
Will be a good add-on for the Heavy Metal Keyboard.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Offline ninthcls

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 September 2023, 07:46:23 »
Been wanting a 60% and to try out ortholinear. This seems like it’s meant to be.
Shanshui - Ramenstop

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries
I'm in as well. My only wish is for a better MCU than in the original Boardwalk. It didn't have enough memory. RP2040?
I am currently working on the design for the solder version, which will use an RP2040. As the pictured hotswap version is already finished, I really don't want to take the time to remake it with a different MCU.

It seems that people are pretty divided on 1u vs 1.5u center column, so I will offer both. Please be aware that if you are using 5 pin switches with the 1u version you will need to clip a leg on two of the switches.

Details on GB coming soon.

Offline sugarfreemedia

can't wait!

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 12:22:40 »
Hi everyone,

I would like to give a small update on the status of the IC and GB now that we have reached the end of October. My initial plan was to start the GB at the beginning of October, but my employer informed me in September that I would probably be sent overseas for about a month sometime between October and March. The dates were finally decided, and I will be traveling for most of November and the first half of December. I didn’t want to run into a situation where I wouldn’t have time to deal with GB related tasks while in another country, so I have held off on doing anything. I am still working on the RP2040 solder version, and will continue to do so while I am on my business trip, time permitting. I plan to adjust the gerbers to make the current hotswap version Bakeneko v3 compatible over the next few weeks. The plan for now is to run a GB for the current hotswap version with 1u and 1.5u center columns offered and a Bakeneko V3 compatible version offered as options. It will probably be a few months before the solder version is ready for production, but I am hoping to run that one around February 2024.

Thanks to the IC I have a more accurate headcount, so I will work on getting more definitive pricing. Hopefully I will have another update before I leave on my trip. Thank you for your patience.

Offline oilpit

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 10:23:26 »
I have never posted to GH before, I honestly had forgotten that I even had an account, as I almost always just lurk.

But I just have to express how unbelievably excited this makes me.  My daily driver is a Boardwalk and I had always planned to get a second one at some point, and then MKUltra shut down and I thought I was **** outa luck.

This is honestly so amazing, I really, really, REALLY hope that this comes to fruition.

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 November 2023, 19:51:32 »
I have never posted to GH before, I honestly had forgotten that I even had an account, as I almost always just lurk.

But I just have to express how unbelievably excited this makes me.  My daily driver is a Boardwalk and I had always planned to get a second one at some point, and then MKUltra shut down and I thought I was **** outa luck.

This is honestly so amazing, I really, really, REALLY hope that this comes to fruition.
Thank you for the enthusiasm! I too love the Boardwalk and bought probably 5 Boardwalk pcbs from MKUltra over the years. I am planning to open the groupbuy before the end of the year.

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 November 2023, 19:54:41 »
If you are interested in buying a plate with the PCB for the group buy please fill out this survey. I cannot guarantee that every requested plate will get made, but hopefully enough people will want similar layouts.

https://forms.gle/yQKFFUVurXpkNhUH8 (4Questions, ~3minutes)
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 November 2023, 19:57:46 by Narf »

Offline komodo90

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 04:26:13 »
It's been a while since I logged in on Geekhack as well. I had purchased one or two ergo keycap kits with boardwalk in mind but postponed the project until I realised mkultra is closing. This is what I've been waiting for. Thanks Narf!

I'm looking for 1u center column, preferably with hotswap sockets. Hoping EU shipping (Poland) won't be a problem. Rest of the things don't matter that much to me.

Keep us posted!

Offline oilpit

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 14:10:05 »
Thank you for the enthusiasm! I too love the Boardwalk and bought probably 5 Boardwalk pcbs from MKUltra over the years. I am planning to open the groupbuy before the end of the year.

Thank YOU! Already filled out the plate survey, and I have been checking this thread daily.  I'm both excited and optimistic to see how this plays out!

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 November 2023, 14:11:53 by oilpit »

Offline VXQN

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 November 2023, 02:39:49 »
I was always intrigued by the boardwalk but never got round to getting one. This is very tempting. Anyone got any recommendations for some reasonably priced Cherry profile caps? I can always take the alphas from one of my sets but I'm not sure where to get the mods...

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 December 2023, 08:31:02 »
Form filled! Hype!

3u spacebar layout is perfection. The OG Boardwalk doesn’t really let your hands fully rest apart because of the 2u for thumbs. But 3u :-*

For me 1.5u > 1u center… they’re more forgiving as thumb keys on a split layout.
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline iwobobul

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 December 2023, 06:52:30 »
I love this,  I need this, this is a perfect layout, please make it happen (In for a tsangan bottom row to use with o-ring inside a unikorn-like case)

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries