Author Topic: [IC] AM Relic 80 | 80% TKL/WKL  (Read 9882 times)

Offline Crazy Designers

[IC] AM Relic 80 | 80% TKL/WKL
« on: Tue, 02 January 2024, 21:37:57 »
AM Relic 80 by Angry Miao

305236-0
Discord server

Happy New Year everyone! Today I would like to introduce Angry Miao's first 80% keyboard: the AM Relic 80. With this keyboard, we wanted to create something timeless and elegant, while also embodying our "Future Art Community" philosophy into the keyboard's design. This is how we found our inspiration in Daniel Arsham's Future Relics. 80% is a classic keyboard layout, which we believe will still be relevant for years to come. Imagine if individuals from a distant future were to stumble upon the keyboards that we use today. We believe they will find them strikingly similar to their contemporary counterparts, distinguished only by the patina of time. So today, we're presenting to you AM Relic 80, a tribute from a millennium ahead.

IC Form: https://forms.gle/6xRmnCFHdcGA2d789

Pricing

January 11, 2024 at 7:00 PM PST
Location and details: Angry Miao Shopify
End date: until all units sold
Estimated fulfilment: approximately 7 days
Pricing:
  • AM Relic 80 Base Kit (TKL/WKL) - 490 USD
  • AM Relic 80 Bundle (TKL/WKL) - 650 USD

Details

Layout: 80% (TKL or WKL)
Typing Angle:
CMF: CNC machined aluminum body
Mount: Three-Stage Adjustable Leaf-Spring Mount (12 typing combos)
Plate: FR4
LEDs: In-switch RGB and case corner RGB lighting
PCB: 1.2mm hotswap PCB with cutouts and in-switch LEDs configurable via Angry Miao DIY site
Switch Mounting Style: Hot-swappable
Connectivity: Tri-mode: 2.4G (with dongle), Bluetooth 5.1, USB Type-C
Weight: Base Kit 2.0kg / Bundle 2.25kg
Battery: Lithium polymer 5000mAh *2, 10000mAh total (typical), supports wireless charging

Design

305238-1

We took our inspiration from Daniel Arsham's eroded "Brillo Box" for AM Relic 80's design. The case is crafted from CNC machined aluminum, with diamond-pattern RGB lighting in the upper and lower case corners. Crafting the top cover takes 4 hours on itself. We use a ball cutter to recreate the eroded design elements on the keyboard case. To have a comfortable typing experience when you're not using a wrist rest, AM Relic 80 has a 19mm front height (while still including an internal structure of 8 layers) and 8° typing angle.

AM Relic 80 will be available in 3 colors, namely Basalt Black, Meteor and Chalk White. Basalt Black and Meteor have an anodized finish, while Chalk White uses e-coat. With AM Relic 80, we want to take advantage of all that an 80% layout has to offer. To give you a wider range of choice, we're planning to offer both a TKL (tenkeyless) and WKL (winkeyless) variant. We also plan to offer a stepped Caps Lock option.

Colors

305240-2 305242-3

Chalk White: the matte texture and delicate feel of marble that has been naturally weathered for thousands of years.

305244-4 305246-5

Basalt Black: the tinted case corner RGB lighting perfectly integrates with the anodized black color of the keyboard case when RGB is turned off. Turn on RGB lighting to reveal the shining diamond pattern on the inside.

305248-6 305250-7

Meteor: just like meteorites, an anodized light brown color is not something you see every day.

Adjustable Leaf Spring

305252-8

Inspired by coilover suspension seen on modified cars, adjustable leaf spring mount allows you to modify keyboard flex for a total 12 different typing combos.

Two different types of leaf springs are provided with AM Relic 80: phosphorus copper (for a softer typing feel) and stainless steel (for a harder typing feel). The leaf springs provide 3 stages of hardness adjustments, with respective adjustment levels of 3.5mm, 2mm and 0.5mm. To further complement the three hardness levels, one pre-installed and one additional PORON pads will be provided with the keyboard.

305254-9

Aside from adjusting the 3 leaf spring gears from soft to hard, rebound stiffness can be adjusted by switching between the two different leaf-spring materials: phosphorus copper and stainless steel. Of course, conventional adjustment solutions, such as mixing and matching foam is also available. The firmest typing feel can be achieved through adding all the pads. Removing all the pads results in the softest feel and touch.

PCB

305260-10

AM Relic 80 will come with a 1.2mm 4-layer hotswap PCB with cutouts, as this type of PCB allows for a satisfying amount of flex when combined with the leaf springs. The PCB will have dual-compatibility for TKL and WKL. A FR4 plate will be included by default but we may offer an additional plate as extra if the demand is there. The internal structure will have 8 layers in total, and include a PET film, an IXPE 8 switch pad and Poron pads for a better sounding keyboard. Poron foam placed at the bottom minimizes vibration and hollow sound.

305256-11 305258-12

AM Relic 80's RGB setup is not just limited to case corner RGB lighting, in-switch RGB is also available. You can fully customize the keyboard LEDs and remap the keys through our website. Of course, AM Relic 80 integrates seamlessly with AM Master.

305262-13

In addition to USB Type-C, AM Relic 80 has built-in support for Bluetooth and also support for 2.4G wireless with the AM Sniper2.4 dongle. Our tri-mode wireless supports seamless automatic switching. Wireless charging using the Qi protocol is also available.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 January 2024, 21:00:59 by Crazy Designers »
Future Art Community.

Offline Necrolegion

Re: [IC] AM Relic 80 | 80% TKL/WKL
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 January 2024, 23:04:40 »
Looks hideous. Why did you guys abandon the other designs? The ones with the larger forehead and LED matrix???

Offline Cosmin

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 January 2024, 02:52:48 »
I love it. But then again being Angry Miao I'm expecting this to be $1599 which is way too much (I am not complaining, the corner machining time definitely makes it more expensive).

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 January 2024, 03:05:43 »
I love it. But then again being Angry Miao I'm expecting this to be $1599 which is way too much (I am not complaining, the corner machining time definitely makes it more expensive).
We're trying to make this board a bit more affordable than our last two boards. But indeed the corner machining adds a lot of complexity to the already complex CNC machining process.
Future Art Community.

Offline SuperSjoerd

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 January 2024, 02:29:59 »
We're trying to make this board a bit more affordable than our last two boards. But indeed the corner machining adds a lot of complexity to the already complex CNC machining process.

Do you have a ballpark number for pricing?

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 January 2024, 02:39:50 »

Do you have a ballpark number for pricing?
Based on the feedback we received in the IC form we settled on 490 USD for the Base Kit and 650 USD for the Bundle (includes Glacier keycaps and Icy Silver Pro switches).
Future Art Community.

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 January 2024, 21:00:35 »
AM Relic 80 is now available on our official website. Grab yours now!

Pricing:
AM Relic 80 Base Kit (TKL/WKL) - 490 USD
AM Relic 80 Bundle (TKL/WKL) - 650 USD

Link:
https://store.angrymiao.com/products/am-relic-80
Future Art Community.

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 January 2024, 21:05:10 »
AM Relic 80 is now also available through the following vendors:

US: Space Cables (Base Kit)
EU: Keygem (Base Kit)
UK: Prototypist (Base Kit)
South Korea: Swagkeys (Base Kit & Bundle)
Vietnam: Mechkey (Base Kit & Bundle)
Thailand: NCTHKeys (Base Kit & Bundle)
Australia: Scorptec Computers (Bundle)
Future Art Community.