Author Topic: [GB] SA Oblivion - CONCLUDED  (Read 280173 times)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
Re: [IC] SA Oblivion (Massdrop Q3 2017, Updated June 7th 2017)
« Reply #650 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 09:55:28 »
Hmm, is META a valid substitute for FN keys? It's currently in place of the bottom row MENU key, and people would be using it in the same spot still if they used it for a function layer. And the Minila kit has a second META key to cover the two FN keys the Minila has. Thoughts?

Show Image

Show Image

Reason is, I've abandoned FUNC, just makes me think of a 80s disco set with FUNKY keys or so. So R4 1u in Extension and stepped capslock replacement have been changed to FN, while bottom row (R3) 1u in extension and 1.25u in modifiers has been changed to META, chosen for better aesthetics when in line with the other 3-4 lettered legends.

PS: We're very close  ;)

Hey, what kit will have the 1.75 R4 R-shift at the end?

The Extension kits

oblotzky.github.com/sa-oblivion is currently up to date in regards to kits, and is locked in once I've cleared up the FN vs META issue or non-issue

:(

So no way to remove ONE  of the extra 1.75u r3 and add it in r4?   (since surely is more popular a r4 1.75 than an extra function or control 1.75 r3)

Show Image

Only additionally, if at all.

Control is used by HHKB layout and also by some on TKL. Function for anyone who lives in the 21st century and has abandoned CapsLock

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #651 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 09:57:10 »

Aww man I hope its after the middle of the month :)) Wallets empty after paying the bills :))

MD doesn't do two sets simultaneously, and XDA Godspeed just launched with 3 weeks of GB ;)
Is there any chance we'll know pricing info before XDA Godspeed ends?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #652 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 10:01:17 »
Hmm, is META a valid substitute for FN keys? It's currently in place of the bottom row MENU key, and people would be using it in the same spot still if they used it for a function layer. And the Minila kit has a second META key to cover the two FN keys the Minila has. Thoughts?

Show Image

Show Image

Reason is, I've abandoned FUNC, just makes me think of a 80s disco set with FUNKY keys or so. So R4 1u in Extension and stepped capslock replacement have been changed to FN, while bottom row (R3) 1u in extension and 1.25u in modifiers has been changed to META, chosen for better aesthetics when in line with the other 3-4 lettered legends.

The Extension kits

oblotzky.github.com/sa-oblivion is currently up to date in regards to kits, and is locked in once I've cleared up the FN vs META issue or non-issue

So no way to remove ONE  of the extra 1.75u r3 and add it in r4?   (since surely is more popular a r4 1.75 than an extra function or control 1.75 r3)

Show Image

Control is used by HHKB layout and also by some on TKL. Function for anyone who lives in the 21st century and has abandoned CapsLock

Well additionally would be really good, i believe there are more people looking for that keycap Than people with a hhkb layout or modified hkkb sliders (to fit mx) 

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #653 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 10:04:04 »

Show Image

Show Image

The Extension kits

Show Image

Well additionally would be really good, i believe there are more people looking for that keycap Than people with a hhkb layout or modified hkkb sliders (to fit mx)

Oh, I kinda misunderstood your request there because I was initially speaking about 1.25u FN key for R3. The key you're looking for, R4 1.75u Shift, will remain available through the Extension kit.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #654 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 10:05:08 »

Show Image

Show Image

The Extension kits

Show Image

Oh, I kinda misunderstood your request there because I was initially speaking about 1.25u FN key for R3. The key you're looking for, R4 1.75u Shift, will remain available through the Extension kit.

BibleThump 

Offline Arallu

« Reply #655 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 10:13:19 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:12:10 by Arallu »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #656 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 10:26:39 »

Aww man I hope its after the middle of the month :)) Wallets empty after paying the bills :))

MD doesn't do two sets simultaneously, and XDA Godspeed just launched with 3 weeks of GB ;)
Is there any chance we'll know pricing info before XDA Godspeed ends?

Unlikely, but maybe. Probably not. The GB page will be created on MD in the weeks leading up to the launch, I'll see that pricing is shown live ASAP. Don't see why we can't publish it way ahead of the launch since it's being finalized currently, but in the past pricing has only been visible a couple days ahead of launch, not weeks.

Offline zslane

« Reply #657 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 12:31:21 »
I am a big fan of the 1.75u FUNCTION key. Too few sets provide it. In addition, it is almost universal for 60% boards to have a 1.25u FN key on the bottom row. It seems odd to me to have a FUNCTION legend (for when people like me configure a board to have FN instead of Caps Lock), but then not have a matching legend for the bottom row. I realize you can't comfortably fit FUNCTION onto a 1.25u keycap, so FN is perfectly acceptable.

SP has been providing both the 1.75u FUNCTION and 1.25u FN keys as part of their dyesub SA keysets (like Ice Cap and Industrial), and I have been eternally grateful for that since all the keyboards that I use with my iPad(s) need both in order to have legend accuracy.

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #658 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 15:29:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

I think FUNC looks good imo. Better than META at least. What about FN?

Offline Nonster

• Lo-Ki Studios
« Reply #659 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 15:49:11 »
This is looking great, feel like I've been waiting for this one forever. Looking forward to it, great work Oblotzky!
More

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #660 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 16:43:49 »
Found a solution, will update github page in the morning while stuff renders over night.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #661 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 18:49:48 »
Any idea on delivery date?  Just curious...l

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #662 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 18:55:58 »
FN is still useful when handing a 60% over to a friend. They can clearly figure out that FN + number will give them the F keys. It's a weird sidebar logic, but still useful if you don't want to espouse anyone from using your keyboard.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #663 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 03:22:44 »
Found a solution, will update github page in the morning while stuff renders over night.

And done.

Since NorDeUK was split off into the NorDe and UK kits, I moved the AltGraph keys back to their appropriate UK kit. Earlier I had them in the Modifier/Extension kits because they made up an additional 6 keys per NorDeUK kit but now it's much more balanced. The Modifier and Extension kits now have FN and META keys in 1.25u and 1u, and Minila now features the correctly labeled second FN key. That should now make everyone happy.

Any idea on delivery date?  Just curious...l

lol

Offline ctrl

« Reply #664 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 08:16:23 »
Since NorDeUK was split off into the NorDe and UK kits, I moved the AltGraph keys back to their appropriate UK kit. Earlier I had them in the Modifier/Extension kits because they made up an additional 6 keys per NorDeUK kit but now it's much more balanced. The Modifier and Extension kits now have FN and META keys in 1.25u and 1u, and Minila now features the correctly labeled second FN key. That should now make everyone happy.

Ooh! This makes me very happy to hear! What sizes?

What happened to the LED-windowed keys? Are they going to be included?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #665 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 08:20:07 »

oblotzky.github.com/sa-oblivion

Offline ctrl

« Reply #666 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 08:31:30 »

oblotzky.github.com/sa-oblivion

Oh my...  :eek:

Not only AltGr, but 1u AltGr! LED-windowed keys! Nordic language support! Split spacebar support! SA profile!

You have no idea how thrilled I am to see this! This covers everything I'd want in my endgame layout.

I'll just go ahead and cancel all other keysets I thought I was going to buy for this.

I will dish out so much money. SO. MUCH. $$$.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #667 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 09:43:27 »
Definitely excited.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #668 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 13:01:07 »
Looking at the spacekeys kit. Would it be possible to add a blank 1.25u to it as well?

I've seen quite a few split spacebar layouts, the BananaSplit60 one of them, that splits the spacebar 2.25u - 1.25u - 2.75u. While it could easily be resolved with another nice R3 1.25u, it might still be nice to have the spacekeys area blank in an unbroken line. Would it be feasible?

Either way, this keyset takes the cake.  :thumb:

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #669 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 23:16:25 »
Looking at the spacekeys kit. Would it be possible to add a blank 1.25u to it as well?

Done

Also fixed UK kit (one key was still in the NorDe kit) and added the missing 5 key for Swedish support.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #670 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 03:23:33 »

Done

Also fixed UK kit (one key was still in the NorDe kit) and added the missing 5 key for Swedish support.

Awesome! Big thanks! I wasn't even aware of the missing 5 key! :thumb:

Really stoked about this keyset and am really looking forward to the drop!

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #671 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 03:34:28 »
I noticed there's no "RUN" key...

you know:

why not? ;)  (you already got 66.67% of it)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #672 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 04:01:48 »

you know:
Show Image

It's not actually a git command ;) don't feel like the joke would fit in the set anyways

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #673 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 04:11:36 »

you know:
Show Image

It's not actually a git command ;) don't feel like the joke would fit in the set anyways

I know it's no git command, but the joke is independant from any specifics... it's just coding in general. I  mean, "git gud" isn't a command either, sooo ;)
worth a try, I would've liked it :P

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #674 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 14:15:44 »
Would it be possible to update either the first post of this thread or the github.io page with all the changes that have been made to the various kits in this set?  It's a bit difficult to keep up with the cumulative effect of all the changes that have been made over the course of this thread, and I'd like to see what all the kits look like in their current form.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #675 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 14:24:49 »
Would it be possible to update either the first post of this thread or the github.io page with all the changes that have been made to the various kits in this set?  It's a bit difficult to keep up with the cumulative effect of all the changes that have been made over the course of this thread, and I'd like to see what all the kits look like in their current form.

oblotzky.github.com/sa-oblivion is the most up to date version. I moved around a few Assembly legends just now and will refresh those in the morning, but key wise no changes are planned

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #676 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 07:52:23 »
Updated the kits with assembly instructions. Added DIV, AND and OUT to reduce the number of duplicate legends, and MUL needed its counterpart anyways.

At this point, once again, the kits are final  ;)

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #677 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 08:09:19 »
tenkeyless.asm is one of the greatest ideas I've ever seen. I've never been actually impatient for a keyset to drop. I hope you feel like what you've achieved here with your design/decisions is a success, because many people do!

Couple of questions:
Oblivion LED - are the legends doubleshot or pad printed?
Any option for all the Honeycadet accent keys to make it into their own kit? Or be combined with a kit that'll be cheaper than the monochrome modifiers?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #678 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 08:33:45 »
tenkeyless.asm is one of the greatest ideas I've ever seen. I've never been actually impatient for a keyset to drop. I hope you feel like what you've achieved here with your design/decisions is a success, because many people do!

Couple of questions:
Oblivion LED - are the legends doubleshot or pad printed?
Any option for all the Honeycadet accent keys to make it into their own kit? Or be combined with a kit that'll be cheaper than the monochrome modifiers?

Thanks! I am very proud of how this set turned out after all this time. And yeah, tenkeyless.asm is one of my favorites too :) Can't wait to put it to use!

Regarding Oblivion LED, the text right above the image states that legends are pad printed  ;)

I have no plans to make HoneyCadet accent keys their own kit as I believe they only fit with Monochrome anyways. Mixing them with colored legends is quite bleh

quick mockups:

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #679 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 09:16:17 »
I have no plans to make HoneyCadet accent keys their own kit as I believe they only fit with Monochrome anyways. Mixing them with colored legends is quite bleh

I completely agree, but people might want to buy them separately for other keysets. Though, if they buy your whole monochrome modifier set for 'other keysets' it also makes sense!

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #680 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 09:19:46 »
I guess this will drop soon  :eek:

been awhile since i looked at the set. REALLY looking forward to press Join :) Thanks for making the norde kit Oblivion style!  :-*

Any last chance to add a LED windowed control/caps look? :)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #681 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 09:29:00 »

been awhile since i looked at the set. REALLY looking forward to press Join :) Thanks for making the norde kit Oblivion style!  :-*

?

LED kit is at the bottom of the page https://oblotzky.github.io/sa-oblivion/

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #682 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 09:50:31 »

?

LED kit is at the bottom of the page https://oblotzky.github.io/sa-oblivion/

^-^ <3 <3

Offline Oblotzky

Re: [IC] SA Oblivion (Massdrop Q3 2017, Updated August 8th 2017)
« Reply #683 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 11:24:09 »
working on fresh drop renders, first part! the first one is pretty much my dream kit combo

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #684 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 11:41:19 »
Damn, I'm going to have to buy a whole mod kit just for that 'Hello World!' button.  :(

Still psyched.

EDIT: What keyboard do you use Oblotzky?
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 August 2017, 11:44:14 by clappingcactus »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #685 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 12:39:43 »
Damn, I'm going to have to buy a whole mod kit just for that 'Hello World!' button.  :(

Still psyched.

That's a Mech27-TKL in the renders, IRL I'll be using SKOG  :) (and M65 and LS3 hype)

Offline ctrl

« Reply #686 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 15:44:16 »
working on fresh drop renders, first part! the first one is pretty much my dream kit combo

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks beautiful!

Any chance of a 60% render? Perhaps of a split spacebar?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #687 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 16:06:53 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks beautiful!

No worries, lotta renders coming in the week to ahead :thumb:

Offline Hamel

• KBDLAB
« Reply #688 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 21:15:45 »

Still psyched.

Wow, I did not notice that "Hello World!" key existed!
Since now I know I better well prepare my wallet for the extra mod to purchase :eek:

Offline Hazzula

« Reply #689 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 21:28:02 »
Would you consider adding the hello world keycap to the git modifiers kit as well? 

I mean, im planning on getting the git modifiers kit just because its programmer-ey and would love to have the hello world keycap as an alternate to the commit keycap. 

Sure it isnt exaclty in the same theme but its still something a programmer would appreciate seeing beside all the other git modifiers :D

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline ctrl

« Reply #690 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 01:08:59 »
Looks beautiful!

No worries, lotta renders coming in the week to ahead :thumb:

Fantastic! Looking forward to them! :thumb:

Offline zslane

« Reply #691 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 11:57:55 »
Would you consider adding the hello world keycap to the git modifiers kit as well? 

I mean, im planning on getting the git modifiers kit just because its programmer-ey and would love to have the hello world keycap as an alternate to the commit keycap. 

You can have mine for the cost of postage.

Offline Hazzula

« Reply #692 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 11:59:58 »

Hahaha ill hold you to it! Thats if oblotzky thinks its not a good idea to include it in the git modifiers kit :)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #693 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 12:01:06 »

Hahaha ill hold you to it! Thats if oblotzky thinks its not a good idea to include it in the git modifiers kit :)

:rolleyes:

Also, another render

Offline zslane

« Reply #694 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 12:02:45 »
Well, I'm trying to take pressure off of Oblotzky to make any further kit changes.  :-*

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #695 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 12:04:48 »
Well, I'm trying to take pressure off of Oblotzky to make any further kit changes.  :-*

:-*

It's a valid request tho I feel. Just not feeling it too much myself since I'm getting all the kits anyways, but trying to put myself in the shoes of those that only get 1 mod set tops

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #696 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 12:35:48 »
I mean I can speak for my preferences. I'm buying the git mods, tenkeyless.asm and maybe a few 40% or extension
kits. The hello world key on its own is making me buy a whole other kit (that won't be used). I'm not even buying an alphas kit, I'm bringing my own to that particular keyboard.

Offline zslane

« Reply #697 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 14:09:10 »
I suppose if a couple hundred people all clamor for one key, like the Hello World! key, to be moved into the base kit (or whatever), then it's probably worth doing even if it will raise the kit price by $1 or $2. But it's a slippery slope. A hundred different people could have a hundred different pet keycaps they want without having to buy a whole kit just for that one key, and so they want it in the base kit (or some other kit they are buying). You can't accommodate every single whim of every buyer and keep the kits affordable.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #698 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 17:44:46 »
I suppose if a couple hundred people all clamor for one key, like the Hello World! key, to be moved into the base kit (or whatever), then it's probably worth doing even if it will raise the kit price by $1 or $2. But it's a slippery slope. A hundred different people could have a hundred different pet keycaps they want without having to buy a whole kit just for that one key, and so they want it in the base kit (or some other kit they are buying). You can't accommodate every single whim of every buyer and keep the kits affordable.

All true. But the Hello World key wasn't available in the base kit until two days ago, and judging by the interest above, it would be a pleasant addition to both mod key sets.

Either way, it doesn't change things for 3/3 people that responded in the thread. Two (including myself) are okay buying another mod-kit, and you're accommodating the third. But the reaction to it is positive enough, and it's more thematically consistent with a mod-set different to the one that it's currently in!

Offline zslane

« Reply #699 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 18:01:02 »
But the reaction to it is positive enough...

I would say the sample size is too small to make any real judgment one way or the other.