Author Topic: 3M Ergonomic Mouse  (Read 7767 times)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
3M Ergonomic Mouse
« on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 23:00:01 »
Found a NIB 3M Ergonomic Mouse at $12 at one of my usual haunts, so it's mine. I like it. Unfortunately, it's the petite model, and my hand is definitely in the Grande category.

Otherwise, it's awesome because it allows arm control AND wrist control; Unlike the Monster Gecko pistol mouse, the 3M ergo gives useful fine motor control from only wrist movements. I've been using the pistol mouse for perhaps a year. with the Gecko I need to touch/drag a pinky on the mousing surface in order to get fine motion control. Not so with the 3M. With the 3M, I can swiftly position the cursor between specific letters in a word, using ARM movement. The wrist movement is for the really close work.

At the office, I am fond of saying "It's a mouse that lets my hand stay upright. I can pay $7 for one that looks like a gun, or $70 for one that looks like a Danish design award." Well, now I've paid $12 for one that looks like a design award.

The controls do take some getting used to.
  • The thumb controls a rocker for left/right click. Fortunately there's plenty of room to rest the thumb in the ready position without actually pressing on the rocker.
  • The shaft has a 3rd button, which functions as a scroll button. Press the shaft button and push the whole device up the desk to scroll up, press and pull to scroll down. I find that I really like this because it allows a fine control of speed and distance of scroll.

It's also given me a whole new outlook in teflon pads on mice. This thing glides like good sex. ON a mouse pad it's nice. On a hardwood desk, it's orgasmic. I'mma gonna get teflon pads on alla my mouses.

Perhaps the most important thing is that it relaxes my hand. Back when I first got computer glasses in my prescription, I was amazed at how much I was NOT working to see the screen any more. When I got a Kinesis Contoured keyboard, I was amazed at how much wrist and arm work I could avoid, at how FAST my chronic neck and arm pain abated. I'd pay full retail for a Kinesis if I ever have to. The 3M Ergonomic Mouse is like that, but for my hand. It's amazing how much work I'm not doing any more to control the cursor. The platform cups my hand so it doesn't drag on the surface, and keeps the palm in position no matter where it is relative to my body. I'm looking forward to having one of these around if my arthritis gets as bad as my mom's. I'll even pay $70 for one in my size.

Recommended. It's nice. It outclasses the Gecko in simple control, and the and the Evoluent vertical mouse for comfort and relaxation. I just wish it had been a large size. If you have a large and want the petite, send me PM.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 December 2009, 23:30:59 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Rajagra

3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 01:51:37 »
I think one of the reasons I loved Logitech Trackman Marble FX trackballs was the way your hand was at a 45° angle when you rested on it.
Now I have some good keyboards maybe it's time to look for a no-compromise mouse to go with them.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 09:04:33 »
I usually just like any kind of mouse that works.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Xuan

3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 12:30:45 »
Con you press right and left buttons at the same time with it?

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 14:30:50 »
Quote from: Xuan;139452
Con you press right and left buttons at the same time with it?

Yes, this seems to be the case. I'll test with an application that validates/verifies mouse clicks ASAP.

Quote from: Rajagra;139320
I think one of the reasons I loved Logitech Trackman Marble FX trackballs was the way your hand was at a 45° angle when you rested on it.

Exactly. The Marble FX is one of my favorite trackballs for that reason. I'd kill for a left hand version, but I have no reason to believe they exist.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 December 2009, 14:33:20 by ricercar »

Offline PRISONER 24601

3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 18:48:44 »
the mouse i use is phallic enough already thank you
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 22:55:18 »
Quote from: ripster;139473
My Evoluent took control of the Paint program

It grows on you. Matter of fact, it's grown past my right elbow, approaching my shoulder.

Offline hyperlinked

3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 23:06:54 »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline didjamatic

3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 23:44:54 »
That massage chair definitely falls under the subliminal sex in advertising category.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 February 2010, 14:18:02 »
I've been using a 3M mouse for while now - starting using one after a bout of tendonitis.    It's different to use, as you end up moving the arm from the shoulder more than an normal mouse, so it can take a little getting used to.

I love mine - $12 was a steal!
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Xuan

3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 06 February 2010, 17:22:14 »
Quote from: didjamatic;139637
That massage chair definitely falls under the subliminal sex in advertising category.

Here it is out of the box.

Offline Xuan

3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 February 2010, 10:56:33 »
Quote from: webwit;156832
Try this in your google images: ****-1 gp

Well, I saw the chair in the 'burn after read' movie. What's your excuse?

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 07 February 2010, 13:52:07 »
Quote from: webwit;156926
reddit

Not much of an excuse. The current #1 link is labeled NSFW. You have been warned!

HEH HEH

I was a 3rd year associate at a law firm in San Francisco in the mid 80's. We were bargained out of a million dollar billing for a Union Carbide factory explosion in India. Most of the partners were very unhappy. I posted a sign in my office over the door "WILL WORK FOR FOOD". I was almost fired. Talk about stuff not safe for work.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
3M Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 07 February 2010, 13:53:16 »
a Union Carbide factory explosion in India

The Union Carbide factory explosion in India?
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2010, 14:15:30 by ch_123 »