Author Topic: [IC] Campine mk.III high profile milled alu 60% kit  (Read 4244 times)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
[IC] Campine mk.III high profile milled alu 60% kit
« on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 14:58:33 »
Hello all,
This is an interest check for two designs for 60% high profile keyboard cases.

Group Buy thread is right here!!!

* Standard
* HHKB-style

-------------------------------

Additional renders and 3D printed prototypes are forthcoming. Currently, here is an album with some preliminary pictures of what will be manufactured:

Campine mk. III album

-------------------------------

The parts should clock in approximately 4 pounds, minus keyboard internals. The case can be assembled with both the acrylic diffuser and the steel bottom, or one or the other. As the images indicate, there will be the option to add our favorite feet to add an incline. They will be compatible with the vast majority of current PCBs and switchplates.

I am planning on powder coating the parts, to maintain a consistent finish between the aluminum and the steel. Powder-coating is a viable aesthetic option for both aluminum and steel parts. Here are some real world examples of colors and results.

Real-world examples

------------------------------

I’m in the final leg of pricing, but at this point, the frame, diffuser, bottom and hardware should be under $150. Delivery in-hand is expected to be 10 weeks from GB conclusion. The parts will be manufactured, receive coloring post-treatment, be packed and dropped off for shipping all within a 60 mile radius. There will not be a cap on the order amount.

I’m interested to hear color preferences (either pictured above or your own favorites), kit options (I can engage in bulk switch/PCB/stab purchases to lower the overall build price) or anything else you think would be important to include.
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks!

Interest check form

« Last Edit: Sun, 06 August 2017, 11:11:54 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline AuthenticDanger

Re: [IC] Campine mk.III high profile milled alu 60% kit
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 15:07:11 »
Does this require user-supplied standoffs?
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 15:13:21 »
Powder coating eh?  I like the idea, but the meeting edges of the steel and alum are going to have to be masked perfectly and not painted for a sharp seam.  I've seen it done and it looked terrible :(

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 16:22:16 »
Does this require user-supplied standoffs?

I plan on including a small (>4) amount with the assembly hardware.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 16:24:00 »
Powder coating eh?  I like the idea, but the meeting edges of the steel and alum are going to have to be masked perfectly and not painted for a sharp seam.  I've seen it done and it looked terrible :(

I will be sure to take note of this. I've been assured by the shop they have performed a similar (though not identical) application, so they do apparently have experience.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 19:25:54 »
I do think it's possible, just not easy

Here you can see what happens when it's not masked correctly.  They tried, but didn't really succeed on this case:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85676.msg2363209#msg2363209

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 21:38:27 »
IC form filled -- very interested in this (particularly the HHKB option)  :thumb:

As far as color options are concerned, I'm curious what a sample of the plum looks like (glad to see it as an option BTW, as many 'purple' cases look more like magenta to me). I also like the option around using both/either case bottom.

Question: for the case feet, is the idea that we'd source our own (e.g. a pair of the same that are used on the WhiteFox), or would we have the option of including some with a case? It would be awesome to have an option to include, in particular if we could get feet that are the same color as the case. But barring that, having a few basic options (black, silver, etc.) would be welcome in my book.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 23:20:21 »
I do think it's possible, just not easy

Here you can see what happens when it's not masked correctly.  They tried, but didn't really succeed on this case:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85676.msg2363209#msg2363209

I will definitely demand perfection when having these parts treated. The margin for error is non-existent if I am going to opt for powder-coating alu, since the overwhelming majority of parts run are anodized and anything different is going to meet skepticism. Thanks for the heads up, and I will be sure to warn against this particular issue.

IC form filled -- very interested in this (particularly the HHKB option)  :thumb:

As far as color options are concerned, I'm curious what a sample of the plum looks like (glad to see it as an option BTW, as many 'purple' cases look more like magenta to me). I also like the option around using both/either case bottom.

Question: for the case feet, is the idea that we'd source our own (e.g. a pair of the same that are used on the WhiteFox), or would we have the option of including some with a case? It would be awesome to have an option to include, in particular if we could get feet that are the same color as the case. But barring that, having a few basic options (black, silver, etc.) would be welcome in my book.

I'm going to try to get it to be as close to this purple:

Easily my favorite shade thus far. I think bundling feet and making sure they match is something that we can make happen.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 July 2017, 23:55:04 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 11:35:40 »
Sweet, thanks for sharing the picture, that helps clarify what you were thinking color-wise. And thanks for considering the matching feet. I have a plastic case that I'm looking to upgrade, so I'll be in for this.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb