Author Topic: [GB] SA Retro [Closed]  (Read 530380 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Re: [GB] SA Retro
« Reply #700 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 12:27:02 »

Optimal layout completed! (JK :)

SA's are pretttty tall compared to DSA's, Cherry's

Those arrows look great! Too rich for me, unfortunately. Wish I would have been able to get them.

They are huge :)

Due to my lazy typing style and posture, I can't really handle SA's, so I'm going to have to sell all my Retro's at one point, If anyone is interested, let me know, it's (almost all) - (ergodox) - (petscii) + (these extras)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline harlw

« Reply #701 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 12:37:00 »

Optimal layout completed! (JK :)

Those arrows look great! Too rich for me, unfortunately. Wish I would have been able to get them.

They are huge :)

Due to my lazy typing style and posture, I can't really handle SA's, so I'm going to have to sell all my Retro's at one point, If anyone is interested, let me know, it's (almost all) - (ergodox) - (petscii) + (these extras)

What's the total for what you have? Can I see the order? Interested in splitting it up at all?
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline blastoid

« Reply #702 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 12:40:48 »
Wasn't a huge fan of Jukebox but I definitely regret not getting in on 1976!
Yeah, the 1976 mockups didn't convince me, but when the photos started coming out, I managed to grab a set from the keyshop during the couple days they were actually in stock. I made my kids give them to me for Father's Day.  ;D

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #703 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 12:52:41 »
Yeah, the 1976 mockups didn't convince me, but when the photos started coming out, I managed to grab a set from the keyshop during the couple days they were actually in stock. I made my kids give them to me for Father's Day.  ;D

Ha! Parenting: you are doing it right  :thumb:

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #704 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 14:51:43 »
I even have a couple of PBT SA spacebars actually :) but they will deny having made them :)

Lol! They can't deny making the 1x items they sell on PMK store, though ;)

Could be they were made by Comptec, before they became SP. I suspect they had a lot more molds in use back in the day, now perhaps warehoused, sold or lost.

SP refuses to do doubleshot PBT.  I guess they haven't perfected it yet (or they're just not interested).  Since every SA cap set (so far) seems to have doubleshot legends I wonder if that's not the biggest factor for a lack of SA sets in PBT -- if they can't do the legends then they just won't do them.  But I find it really hard to believe they can't inject PBT (blanks) into the same molds they use for ABS.  The wear on the tooling might be higher because of the higher temps required for PBT, but that's hardly an excuse.  It's not that they can't do it, but that they won't.

Edit: I forgot that shrinkage is a bigger factor with PBT, so maybe they really do require new molds/tooling.  Now I'm not so sure.

Well, they can and do make 1x and 1.5x SA profile blank PBT keys which can be dyesubbed, but AFAIK they don't have PBT molds for the larger modifiers, so they can't do a FULL set in PBT (and yes, the different shrinkage rate and temperature requires different molds). But I think they could do alphas in dyesub PBT, mods in doubleshot ABS. At least technically. They seem to be reluctant about offering this as an option, though.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #705 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 16:26:48 »
I even have a couple of PBT SA spacebars actually :) but they will deny having made them :)

Could be they were made by Comptec, before they became SP. I suspect they had a lot more molds in use back in the day, now perhaps warehoused, sold or lost.

SP refuses to do doubleshot PBT.  I guess they haven't perfected it yet (or they're just not interested).  Since every SA cap set (so far) seems to have doubleshot legends I wonder if that's not the biggest factor for a lack of SA sets in PBT -- if they can't do the legends then they just won't do them.  But I find it really hard to believe they can't inject PBT (blanks) into the same molds they use for ABS.  The wear on the tooling might be higher because of the higher temps required for PBT, but that's hardly an excuse.  It's not that they can't do it, but that they won't.

Edit: I forgot that shrinkage is a bigger factor with PBT, so maybe they really do require new molds/tooling.  Now I'm not so sure.

Well, they can and do make 1x and 1.5x SA profile blank PBT keys which can be dyesubbed, but AFAIK they don't have PBT molds for the larger modifiers, so they can't do a FULL set in PBT (and yes, the different shrinkage rate and temperature requires different molds). But I think they could do alphas in dyesub PBT, mods in doubleshot ABS. At least technically. They seem to be reluctant about offering this as an option, though.

They should probably produce the R4 Shifts before all these :)

I was really on the edge about SA's, the shifts cast the deciding vote for me

Practically they are not much of an issue, but on an obsessive level, it's annoying
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline blastoid

« Reply #706 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 17:19:59 »

They should probably produce the R4 Shifts before all these :)

I was really on the edge about SA's, the shifts cast the deciding vote for me

Practically they are not much of an issue, but on an obsessive level, it's annoying
Obsessive? You? Is not like you went out and ordered custom-printed keycaps to fit a very specific arrow layout or anything... ;)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #707 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 03:04:03 »
Indeed! 1976 was my first foray into SA, and the height was indeed very surprising. I can't wait to get my grubby hands on SA Retro, my first sculpted SA set, with Modern Selectric and Jukebox tailing close behind.

I have Retro and Selectric on order too - kind of regretting not ordering Jukebox now that the SA Out of The Vault sets are on the horizon.

I'm in the same boat, two great SA sets on the way and now Carbon comes up and I have to decide if I need even more SA in my life. I only have two MX boards! I hear once you start purchasing boards specifically for extra sets that's when the real wallet hack kicks in  ;)

Carbon got very expensive for me. I was just going to get a base and novelties, but then I realised my one really custom layout could be filled out using keys from both the Planck and ErgoDox sets... so I added those. Ended up buying Base, Orange Alphas, Planck, ErgoDox, Novelties, Warnings, Forums and some spacebars... Almost also bought the Mod and Flex kits...

Just look at the stats on it... over 400 base kits sold! Impressive: http://www.massdrop.community/

If you're still interested in 1976, it's selling on PMK store again: http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/1976-keycap-set
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline blastoid

« Reply #708 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 10:15:04 »
Next wednesday!

So... did this happen? I'm dying to see some photos of PETSCII.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #709 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 10:26:27 »
So... did this happen? I'm dying to see some photos of PETSCII.
I am very excited to see how it came out as well.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2015, 10:51:17 by nickheller »

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #710 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 12:06:10 »
Indeed! 1976 was my first foray into SA, and the height was indeed very surprising. I can't wait to get my grubby hands on SA Retro, my first sculpted SA set, with Modern Selectric and Jukebox tailing close behind.

I have Retro and Selectric on order too - kind of regretting not ordering Jukebox now that the SA Out of The Vault sets are on the horizon.

I'm in the same boat, two great SA sets on the way and now Carbon comes up and I have to decide if I need even more SA in my life. I only have two MX boards! I hear once you start purchasing boards specifically for extra sets that's when the real wallet hack kicks in  ;)

Carbon got very expensive for me. I was just going to get a base and novelties, but then I realised my one really custom layout could be filled out using keys from both the Planck and ErgoDox sets... so I added those. Ended up buying Base, Orange Alphas, Planck, ErgoDox, Novelties, Warnings, Forums and some spacebars... Almost also bought the Mod and Flex kits...

Just look at the stats on it... over 400 base kits sold! Impressive: http://www.massdrop.community/

If you're still interested in 1976, it's selling on PMK store again: http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/1976-keycap-set

Just looked base is out of stock

Offline tangkims

« Reply #711 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 19:18:05 »
I regret not participating in this so badly...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #712 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 19:38:55 »

YES the number ONE emotion displayed by those that missed out on a golden opportunity that might never occur again in their life time  8) .

There are other Group Buys running so don't miss out on owning some decent GMK sets or still grabbing some Carbon, before it passes into history.....

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #713 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 22:12:32 »
My only regret is that I didnt buy the burgundy numpad kit...maybe there will be extras???
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline tangkims

« Reply #714 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 23:06:22 »
If there are extras.... PM me please!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #715 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 03:38:20 »
More

Just looked base is out of stock

Darn...

Well, we've cleared up the PBT caps confusion with SP.

Apparently the 1x and 1.5x caps are from a small run done for a client. They don't have the capabilities to dyesub them (you need special holders for each type of cap and they don't have SA ones) and they won't do any larger runs of them. So those are the only ones likely to ever be made by them.

PBT is not feasible for SA profile GB's. :(

I think I may just buy some, simply for the rarity value :)

Absolutely loving the sample pics, can't wait for these to ship!
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #716 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 04:35:33 »
I have bad news, guys.

SP ran out of brown plastic and they need to restock. This will lead to some delay. I'm waiting for a new ETA, but it won't be pleasant.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #717 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 04:50:28 »
I have bad news, guys.

SP ran out of brown plastic and they need to restock. This will lead to some delay. I'm waiting for a new ETA, but it won't be pleasant.

extremely bad news, it might also create a shade difference

Offline harlw

« Reply #718 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 07:44:32 »
I have bad news, guys.

Wtf? Did they spill all of it? Lose a pallet? You think they would notice before they get halfway through a run.

We should emphasize that variations in the color will be rejected.

Thanks for the update, sorry for the headache on your end.
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline pkircher

« Reply #719 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 07:56:38 »
well questionable how deep they are in prod already given they wanted to ship on wed. and realize about 2 days after that they run out of brown pellets ( usualy they come in 50 kg bags or 250 kg drums ) ..

do we have a idea how long there leadtimes for pellets are ? and how long a rescheduling of the production will take ? 1-2 month or more a thing of a other week ?

usualy thats inaceptable SP should have done there diligence in terms of stocking .. they know there yields
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 August 2015, 08:00:49 by pkircher »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #720 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 09:06:26 »
I have bad news, guys.

Wtf? Did they spill all of it? Lose a pallet? You think they would notice before they get halfway through a run.

We should emphasize that variations in the color will be rejected.

Thanks for the update, sorry for the headache on your end.

On the bright side, the brown is pretty dark, it's almost black in some shades, so it will probably mask variations well, hopefully at least

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #721 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 11:15:22 »
I will not accept color variations. If they can't guarantee 100% color matching I will demand the whole batch redone.

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #722 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 11:24:51 »
I will not accept color variations. If they can't guarantee 100% color matching I will demand the whole batch redone.

damn
Zealio Master Race

Offline tangkims

« Reply #723 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 11:37:23 »

damn

If that's the case... will you take one more order for poor little old me? =)

Offline Baxter

• They do not know it, but they are doing it.
    • http://www.darklightweb.co.uk
« Reply #724 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 12:25:39 »

We'd expect nothing less than the pursuit of perfection from Matt3o.

All the same my sympathies for having to deal with this, running out of raw materials in the middle of an agreed production batch is shockingly poor process control on their part.

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #725 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 16:01:47 »
Agreed that it's extremely poor practice for a large manufacturing facility to not have raw materials calculated before a run. Hoepfully this doesn't turn into some crazy year long endeavour.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #726 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 17:12:10 »
It would be nice if SP invested in some R4 Shifts as apologies :)

There is a naive part of me that hopes this set is secretly the first set with some R4 Shifts, and it will be a huge surprise

The initial R4 shift rumours got me, I was shocked when I found out there was no R4 Shifts

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #727 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 11:39:03 »
Last I heard the set was going to ship a few days ago, so is most of the production run done and sitting in their warehouse? Or did they wait to communicate this for some reason?

I have a fair amount tied up in this set, so I really want to understand what's happening.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #728 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 11:40:26 »
Last I heard the set was going to ship a few days ago, so is most of the production run done and sitting in their warehouse? Or did they wait to communicate this for some reason?

I have a fair amount tied up in this set, so I really want to understand what's happening.

I have bad news, guys.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #729 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 12:45:53 »
It would be nice if SP invested in some R4 Shifts as apologies :)

There is a naive part of me that hopes this set is secretly the first set with some R4 Shifts, and it will be a huge surprise

That would be truly awesome! But somehow I don't think SP will invest $9000 in R4 molds just because of a single GB being delayed.

I do think they should, though. Perhaps they don't realise how much people are interested in seeing this happen, or how many more sets they'd sell with the proper Shifts. At the moment, though, they are getting so many orders for SA sets coming in that they're probably not concerned.

If they ever do make them I'd like to see a mini GB of R4 Shifts for all the sculptured SA sets that have been made with R3 shifts.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #730 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 15:36:17 »

I have bad news, guys.

Yeah, wow, no kidding. Matt3o's update coincides with when the set was supposed to be shipping. So is most of the production run done and sitting in SP's warehouse? Or did SP wait to communicate this for some reason?

Offline jackiecanev2

« Reply #731 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 19:33:05 »

I'm such a tease

Show Image

I don't know the order in which keys are produced (though I assume they're made per key in bulk vs complete sets at a time). Since it looks like Matt3o has received samples of some of the keys already made, I would suspect at least some portion of caps within a set have already been made?
| HHKB2 | Viper | 356.2 | Ducati | pitties | scalpels |

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #732 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 01:56:46 »
Yeah, wow, no kidding. Matt3o's update coincides with when the set was supposed to be shipping. So is most of the production run done and sitting in SP's warehouse? Or did SP wait to communicate this for some reason?

They told me that they had little brown remaining, but they thought they could make it. They couldn't.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #733 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 03:46:59 »
They told me that they had little brown remaining, but they thought they could make it. They couldn't.

Just interested in knowing, who is the Person in Charge of Inventory Management at their Company?

Offline TheCowGod

« Reply #734 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 08:24:49 »

Just interested in knowing, who is the Person in Charge of Inventory Management at their Company?

Presumably by now he has been sacked, and the people responsible for sacking him have been sacked.

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #735 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 08:59:22 »

Presumably by now he has been sacked, and the people responsible for sacking him have been sacked.

Or, more likely, they take most of their orders from companies, and these hobbyist-level orders just fill in the gaps between big runs and they really couldn't care less if a bunch of internet nerds get a little upset that their retro computer caps are late.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #736 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 09:13:05 »

Or, more likely, they take most of their orders from companies, and these hobbyist-level orders just fill in the gaps between big runs and they really couldn't care less if a bunch of internet nerds get a little upset that their retro computer caps are late.
Most likely correct.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #737 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 11:54:00 »
Fantastic.

At this point I've got three SA profile key cap sets on order: Round 5a, SA Retro, and Carbon. Let's see which one shows up first. Maybe I'll get them all on Christmas day.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #738 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 11:56:26 »
Man I wish I could get in on that Carbon buy, but I just bought a house, sooooooooo yeah... not gonna happen :(

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #739 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 12:02:12 »
I'm not very chatty about this manner because if I talk I'd say things that I'll regret.

So let's keep it calm. Let's say that **** happens. Let's say "first world problems".

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #740 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 12:13:29 »
I'm not very chatty about this manner because if I talk I'd say things that I'll regret.

So let's keep it calm. Let's say that **** happens. Let's say "first world problems".

I think everyone understands that it's out of your hands. I suspect it will still get here before the Infinity I ordered from Massdrop.  :)

Offline blastoid

« Reply #741 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 12:33:07 »

That's a great stance to take. Good job.

First world problems, indeed.

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #742 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 13:10:30 »
Man I wish I could get in on that Carbon buy, but I just bought a house, sooooooooo yeah... not gonna happen :(

Hey man, you should check out the prices again! Hitting 500 base sets gave us a HUGE discount! A $2.50 drop!  :))

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #743 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 22:37:36 »

I suppose that makes sense why it only came up in the 11th hour. One would think that they would weigh the pellets to confirm the amount, but I guess they're a small facility that may not have a very sophisticated process.

There's not a whole lot I can do as a buyer to help out (please correct me if there is), so I wish you luck getting this sorted.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #744 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 22:44:46 »
Fantastic.

At this point I've got three SA profile key cap sets on order: Round 5a, SA Retro, and Carbon. Let's see which one shows up first. Maybe I'll get them all on Christmas day.

Same here but guess what, it's NEVER ENOUGH my pet - always keep buying more no matter the consequences  :thumb: .
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 22:46:43 by Elrick »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #745 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 23:29:44 »
Sad news to hear about the delay... Matt3o, you have the patience and the reserve of a saint!

Thinking about the delay just makes me regret not going in on the alternate functions :( I would very much like to get hold of a set - curse you past self.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #746 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 01:17:14 »
they said there won't be any color variation between batches. I hope that's true.

Offline pkircher

« Reply #747 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 02:51:22 »
do we have a new eta ?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #748 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 03:12:19 »
you know it as soon as I know it.

Offline blastoid

« Reply #749 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 07:25:25 »

I suppose that makes sense why it only came up in the 11th hour. One would think that they would weigh the pellets to confirm the amount, but I guess they're a small facility that may not have a very sophisticated process.

My guess: They had enough TBN pellets, but just barely, then they lost a couple batches to QC, which put them behind.