Author Topic: [IC] GMK R4 Cherry OG 1.75u "Shift" Key (Icon Mod) - possibly with 1u "Fn" key  (Read 5797 times)

Offline jani80k

• In the hobby for a good time.
Dear friends,

after "Missing keys" has made MoQ and will be shipped out to vendors latest beginning of Feb 2020, I would like to raise another IC to the community.

Many people have contacted me that "Missing Keys" was too big of a set and they only needed the short right shift which is so difficult to come by. Others would have liked to see 2 short right shift keys instead of one in the kit of "Missing Keys".

So without further ado, I hereby present to you the GB for just that short right shift (and possibly a complementary fn key).

IC Form here.

First Option:

231833-0

Second Option:

231835-1

In case you are wondering what this short shift is good for?
It is an extremely cheap way to make good use of ABS doubleshot keycaps from an OG keyboard on a 60% or HHKB Layout (using the uparrow as Fn key). With the additional Fn key, it would even allow to build 65% and 75% (because the uparrow is used otherwise and you need an additional R4 key to the right of it).

Just to be clear. This IC is for ONE (1) key or possibly TWO (2) keys.
You must have this to benefit from it.

Vendors:
EU: mykeyboard.eu
US: cannonkeys.com
Asia: tbd

Price: Don't know exactly, yet. But very low :)

Timeline: ASAP

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 December 2019, 08:12:51 by jani80k »

Offline jani80k

reserved

Offline victorpre

I'm in, man

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Darth WTF

Absolutely on board

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
How many do I need to buy to make sure we hit MOQ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Poesjuh

Yes am in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ullr

Can you add NorDeUK support?

Offline pngu

• send noots
I don't use right shift but not having a keycap there looks odd, so I'm in for a couple

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Sure why not. Would be in for the kit of two caps.

Offline Yeoh

Would be interested in 2 key kit, if it was text+icon.

Offline Poesjuh

[IC] GMK R4 Cherry OG 1.75u "Shift" Key (Icon Mod) - possibly with 1u "Fn" key
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 13:16:47 »
Actually a 2 key kit makes sense. One icon and one text+icon. (3 with the Fn included)

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
xoxo i need this  :eek:

Offline jani80k

Actually a 2 key kit makes sense. One icon and one text+icon. (3 with the Fn included)

Because those rare ANSI OG sets have icon+text?
Most people would have icon only I believe... not sure if icon+text would make a business case.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
As I said I  private, you should do both text and icon, and icon. Ansi og dyesub isn't that rare.
Also, idk the formula, but a single key gb is probably too expensive with a very high moq(never ran a kit like that so idk, but wasn't pretty in pink 500 due to key amount?) 
Would make sense to make it at least 4 keys.

Digging the idea, I'm in like with missing keys. :)

Offline Applet

I'd love a text+icon 1.75u shift for my OG ansi-set, so I'd favour Emir's idéa of a 4 keys kit.

Offline Poesjuh

ISO-DE og doubleshots have icon+text as well.

Offline jani80k

Hey guys,

the only really widely avaiable OG keycaps are German OG ISO-DE keycaps with Icon mods as ABS Doubleshots (like GMK).

This GB is intended for those caps. There several boards per month on German ebay and those are the ones which many people have. Member from the German community (and also other European countries) have sometimes 10-20 sets like that at home.

I know there are ANSI OG ABS Doubleshots but they are quite rare compared to the German ones.

I already got a quote from GMK and the MoQ 150 price for single shift is as cheap as expected before shipping and tax. There are no funny requirements like MoQ 500 or the like they have given us. Each additional key will proportionally raise the price.

Regarding dyesubs mentioned above. I wouldn't consider mixing ABS Doubleshots with PBT Dyesubs. The difference is quite obvious and they look out of place.

« Last Edit: Sat, 14 December 2019, 05:56:48 by jani80k »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Thank you for clearing it up! TIL!

I know that ISO-DE keycaps are widely available in germany, but I still feel that a lot of people in the community have icon+text doubleshots and would benefit from this (coming from a hardcore icon only guy).
I know that might affect the pricing a lot compared to just one or two keys, but I feel like it would be beneficial in the end. :)

Offline Applet

I’m in either way :D

Offline gnhuy91

Im in and will try to find a German og set for myself, anyone knows what keyword I shoud search for on ebay? thanks in advance

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Im in and will try to find a German og set for myself, anyone knows what keyword I shoud search for on ebay? thanks in advance

G80 followed by whichever board model (1000/3000 are common) and make sure the three letter product code starts with H for doubleshot, middle letter can be whatever but if you want vint blacks in your 1000/3000, then A and then last letter D for the language (deutsch).

So in above example it'd be g80-1000 HAD, but just making sure they're g80 and doubleshot (H) is fine.

Cherry my boards are also a good source for doubleshots and dyesub, g81. Search for cherry product code on deskthority for a good collection of info.

Offline gnhuy91

G80 followed by whichever bord model (1000/3000 are common) and make sure the three letter product code starts with H for doubleshot, middle letter can be whatever but if you want vint blacks in your 1000/3000, then A and then last letter D for the language (deutsch).

So in above example it'd be g80-1000 HAD, but just making sure they're g80 and doubleshot (H) is fine.

such detail! thanks alot

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord

G80 followed by whichever bord model (1000/3000 are common) and make sure the three letter product code starts with H for doubleshot, middle letter can be whatever but if you want vint blacks in your 1000/3000, then A and then last letter D for the language (deutsch).

such detail! thanks alot

NP, see the edit on cherry MY G81 too :P

Offline jani80k

I am stopping this IC for now. There is by far not enough interest.

This shows that missing keys was not the worst idea.

Example: One group wants the bottom row, another group wants the short shift and a third group wants OG Icon mods. Each group is too small to make MoQ. They combine their kits and "buy each others keys" that way (so to speak) in order to make MoQ.

Yes, Missing Keys was big, but it needed to be in order to make MoQ.

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
one day jani, one day...

Offline Eike

I am stopping this IC for now. There is by far not enough interest.

This shows that missing keys was not the worst idea.

Example: One group wants the bottom row, another group wants the short shift and a third group wants OG Icon mods. Each group is too small to make MoQ. They combine their kits and "buy each others keys" that way (so to speak) in order to make MoQ.

Yes, Missing Keys was big, but it needed to be in order to make MoQ.

Too sad!

Could you indicate how many ICs are missing until MoQ? I am in for 4 shift keys. Not interested in additional Fn-Key but woudn't mind to buy them anyway if that helps to reach MoQ.