Author Topic: [IC] 6060 - 60% WKL gasket mount hybrid  (Read 5541 times)

Offline SmitH1y

[IC] 6060 - 60% WKL gasket mount hybrid
« on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 04:04:13 »
Hello keyboard peeps, it has been several busy months designing the 6060. Now that the prototyping for the 6060 is complete, it is time for me to start the Interest Check for the keyboard, introducing the 6060 the first Gasket hybrid layout that can use all 60% plates and all left sided PCBs!.

Our philosophy behind this keyboard design was to provide everyone with the opportunity to get a gasket mount keyboard for a cheap price, however with a gasket mount comes a few issues, you must use the plate provided with the keyboard and that isn't fun for people wanting to explore different plate options; to combat this issue we have come up with a design that allows the user to plate mount with removable M2 standoffs thus making it possible to fit any 60% plate and PCB.

The board has been through several iterations of prototypes and review units will be sent out in the following months.

I am sure at this point there is still some room for improvement. Please kindly let me know your thoughts if you will be interested in this, and your suggestions for the GB and the design. If you would like to chat in Discord, here is the link: https://discord.gg/Yrshqrs8ST

IC FORM: https://forms.gle/2GNy5oLggHxYYr3T6

Technical Specs:

Dimensions
Front height: 1.66 cm
Width: 29.67cm

General
6.5° typing angle
Gasket mounted switch plate in polycarbonate made by SMOKEY!
HS60 designed by yiancar and Mechboards, Hot-swappable, QMK compatible PCB, and fully programmable with VIA configurator. USB-C

What's in the box? (Insert Brad Pitt impression)
1 × 6060 Top enclosure - Bead blasted, anodized aluminium
1 × 6060 Bottom enclosure - Bead blasted, anodized aluminium
1 × yiancar x Mechboards HS60 PCBs (hotswap, screws included)
4 × rubber feet
1 × set of gaskets
3x 16mm M3 screws
3x 6mm M3 screws
6x M2 Standoffs
6 x M2 screws

Materials
We're using 2014 aerospace grade aluminium for this board, although its a little more expensive we chose this alu in particular as its the strongest out of the bunch and this will increase the amount of times you can rebuild your keeb (so the screw inserts don't thread).

Pricing

We're expecting this board to sell for £300 at GB (top, bottom, PCB and plate) (£250 without the PCB)

Vendor:
https://mechboards.co.uk/

For you international folks, do not worry Mechboards can deliver internationally!

Purchasing Options:

We're happy to announce that we're working with SMOKEY for the plates, German made plates are no joke! We will curently only be offering polycarbonate plates. Plate files will be made available on GB!

You will have the opportunity to pick a custom cable that will be made by my business partner and friend Hectoring, you will have a few options on colours when choosing (Colours TBA).

As mentioned before, this keyboard supports all left side USBC 60% PCBs so there will be a few more non HS PCBs at checkout for all you die hard solder peeps.

Renders:

Mounting system and how it works:

As mentioned this is a gasket mount keyboard however you can use tray mount with this keyboard, the way we can achieve this is by adding screw holes in the standard PCB screw position, below is a render on how the whole things works:

Case Colour Options:

- Dark Grey
- Blue
- E-White
- Green
- Rose Gold
- Black
- Red
- Navy

Keep in mind that colours are subject to change based on interest.

Socials
Custom cable examples made by Hectoring: https://www.instagram.com/hectoring_mk/
Best place for updates would be the discord: https://discord.gg/Yrshqrs8ST

« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2020, 03:23:18 by SmitH1y »

Offline Ja3_420

Re: [IC] 6060 - 60% Gasket mount hybrid
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 04:37:01 »
reserved

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 04:44:03 »
can you post pictures of the prototypes?

Offline SmitH1y

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 04:51:09 »
can you post pictures of the prototypes?

At the moment we just have 3D printed prototypes but the alu protos are coming in the next few months!

Offline ubmit

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 05:29:18 »
To be honest, this seems like a really simple design to cost 300 GBP (around 400 USD). I don't know if that's due to the type of aluminum you're using. If that's the case, did you consider using 6063 or even the 6061?
Lyn Whale | KFE CE | Frog | Singa | Dolice | Haus | Kei | Polaris | Prophet | Bongoneko

Offline SmitH1y

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 05:58:02 »
To be honest, this seems like a really simple design to cost 300 GBP (around 400 USD). I don't know if that's due to the type of aluminum you're using. If that's the case, did you consider using 6063 or even the 6061?
We wanted a minimalistic design for this board hence its simplicity; even with a simple design such as this, there are still fundamental costs associated with it that cant be cut. Regarding the aluminium type; I designed these boards to last, using 2014 will significantly increase the life of the board and screw threads for a little bit extra. Also I would like to point out its £250 without the PCB ($337)

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Re: [IC] 6060 - 60% WKL gasket mount hybrid
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 00:47:00 »
Would you be willing to offer a HHKB design as well as winkeyless?

Offline knam316

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 01:32:26 »
I like the clean simple design

Offline SmitH1y

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 07:06:21 »
Would you be willing to offer a HHKB design as well as winkeyless?

Most definitely in the future we will plan on doing this, if all goes well with this GB. Keep up to date for any news like this on our discord!