Author Topic: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!  (Read 285341 times)

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, isolation top mount, powder coated
« Reply #350 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 09:00:06 »
Would it be possible to see a photo with the ePBT / Classic Beige keycaps next to or sitting on the Inox Nickel finish? Almost looks like it might be a nicer match than RAL9002 or RAL9001 ...

yes, I should try more case/keycap combinations. but it will have to wait till next year.

« Reply #351 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 09:01:35 »
Would it be possible to have a shot of the powder coated glossy in a indoor environment?

yes, totally agree, I need indoor/desksetup pictures. my lighting inside was just terrible and I don't have an extra flashlight. even the outdoor pictures are far from good, it was much too cloudy and I rushed it because it was beginning to rain. I'll work on a more relatable picture scenario after the holidays.

« Reply #352 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 09:05:52 »
7021 looks really good with dolch too

atm I don't really remember why I changed from RAL7021, which I had shown in earlier renderings, to RAL7039 for dolch. I'll check that out after the holidays as well. wait, I just checked RAL7021 - that was a mistake. the renderings with dolch caps were all with RAL7039, don't know why I wrote RAL7021. If you check the color, it is a very dark grey. but also that would work with dolche and many more sets.

« Reply #353 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 09:16:53 »
regarding glossy:

if it can be done reliabley without the wavyness then I'll offer a glossy version, if not then not. we'll see. simple.

« Reply #354 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 09:18:02 »
regarding RAL 9001 vs 9002:

I see mixed opinions about which of the two is suited better for classic beige.

I think the problem here comes down to the quality of the pictures I took. I'll take pictures with better lighting, white balance and the same cherry classic beige caps put on, side by side. with more objective pictures it should be easier to decide if 9001 or 9002 fits more.
...after the holidays.

more suggestions for case/keycap combos welcome.

Offline killchain

« Reply #355 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 07:06:24 »
Voted for 75% ISO in the IC, although I'd also consider 1800, 96% or similar; a separate numpad would be nice too for the smaller options.
In terms of colours, I voted dark gray, although black is always cool, and a raw version (clear/transparent coated) would be nice (I think it looks awesome when there are welds, i.e. on some bike frames, but might look nice with just bends too). Also, what about cerakote (think Norbauer)?

« Reply #356 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 12:13:11 »
there is raw steel, just bead blasted. also bead blasted and nickel coated, which is somewhat clear. see here.

there are already a lot of options in discussion, maybe I'll try another powder coating color but nothing more/new like cerakote. would be too much.

Offline killchain

« Reply #357 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 17:05:37 »
Cool!

About the plate and the split spacebar options on the 75% - should I decide to go with PCB mounted stabs, will I be able to change from split to normal (or vice versa) without desoldering the whole board (i.e. will the stabs be able to pass through the plate)? Should be doable with plate mount stabs, right? Sorry if these are noob questions, I've never built a board.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #358 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 17:17:42 »
Suggestion:

I just recently built my skb75 v1 and mounting the plate into the top is probably the most awkward and counter-intuitive process of the whole build. With the single long screws, I have to secure them to the top piece first, then finessing the plate into the top. There is no other way around, everything has to be done in that exact order. The screws on the bottom lip are easy, but the top lip screws got tricky, there was not a lot of real estate to wiggle about. How about using multiple shorter screws so each step could be done independently. Please see picture for examples:

1. Top row: you can place the spacers onto the plate first, then place the plate-with-spacers into the top piece later. Either way this system gives you better access at tighter spots because you can use 2 screwdrivers.

2. Bottom row: same idea, you pretty much positions the spacers with the plate first before placing the entire thing into the top piece of the case.

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #359 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 17:30:11 »
Would it be possible to have a shot of the powder coated glossy in a indoor environment?

yes, totally agree, I need indoor/desksetup pictures. my lighting inside was just terrible and I don't have an extra flashlight. even the outdoor pictures are far from good, it was much too cloudy and I rushed it because it was beginning to rain. I'll work on a more relatable picture scenario after the holidays.

Cool, yeah you can almost see the grey sky in the reflections heh, that's most likely also enhancing the minor waves in the glossy look.
Could still be cool to see a few random snaps from a indoor environment when its possible :thumb:

BTW,
Would be cool if you could look into adding the SKB family to this at some point
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102336.0 hint hint :p 

« Reply #360 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 17:35:55 »
Suggestion:

I just recently built my skb75 v1 and mounting the plate into the top is probably the most awkward and counter-intuitive process of the whole build. With the single long screws, I have to secure them to the top piece first, then finessing the plate into the top. There is no other way around, everything has to be done in that exact order. The screws on the bottom lip are easy, but the top lip screws got tricky, there was not a lot of real estate to wiggle about. How about using multiple shorter screws so each step could be done independently. Please see picture for examples:

Show Image

1. Top row: you can place the spacers onto the plate first, then place the plate-with-spacers into the top piece later. Either way this system gives you better access at tighter spots because you can use 2 screwdrivers.

2. Bottom row: same idea, you pretty much positions the spacers with the plate first before placing the entire thing into the top piece of the case.

I guess you wanted to post this in the SKB(1)-GB thread?
If this was not an accident, then I don't quite understand. The mounting of the SKB2s' plate is different. Also there are no spacers/washers involved this time. Also different screw positioning, more space/room to work and generally less painfull to put together. See here.
For your SKB(1), you could try this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 December 2019, 17:54:37 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #361 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 17:37:20 »
Cool!

About the plate and the split spacebar options on the 75% - should I decide to go with PCB mounted stabs, will I be able to change from split to normal (or vice versa) without desoldering the whole board (i.e. will the stabs be able to pass through the plate)? Should be doable with plate mount stabs, right? Sorry if these are noob questions, I've never built a board.

no problem, everyone has to start somewhere.
you are talking about plate/layout details. it's too early for that atm. I'll have these details figured out when GB starts of course.

your questions can be answered generally to some degree. PCB mount stabs can usually not be removed after soldering, though I did offer some custom plates files for PCB mount stabs where the cutouts allowed removability even after soldering - so it is possible. normally only plate mount stabs are removable after soldering, but they require a plate that does not allow for much options regarding layout. most plates for custom cases, like the ones for my recent SKB-GB are unified, which means they enable multiple layouts (like ANSI, ISO and different bottom row configs). here PCB mount stabs are used and they are not removable after soldering (though I found myself in a situation once where I actually did manage to remove and reinstall them in a different config, it was horrible but I did it, will not apply usually).

how the plate for a possible SKB2-75% will specifically look like is - like I mentioned above - too early to say atm.

Offline ZG2047

« Reply #362 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 04:16:33 »
Big fan of the dolch and naked.   :thumb:
Me too can't wait.

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #363 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 05:53:43 »
I'm in love with that nickel color scheme from the photos of the latest prototype, was wondering though if those are the finalized colors you are planning for the GB cause I fell hard for that turquoise case rendering you had

« Reply #364 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 07:38:55 »
I'm in love with that nickel color scheme from the photos of the latest prototype, was wondering though if those are the finalized colors you are planning for the GB cause I fell hard for that turquoise case rendering you had

The colors are not finalized jet.

In the new year, I'll first have to contact the company that did the powder coating and find out what went wrong with the glossy colors (wavy surface). Then I can decide whether glossy will be on option or not. Then probably one more small and quick round of protos with two or three other color options. Better pictures (improved lighting and indoor). Then a google form should help to make a final color decision.

I should add a todo section to the start post.
EDIT: just did that.

The process takes time. Though I have to say that so far this proceeds quickly. It was less than a month since the day I ordered the last protos until I uploaded the pictures for you.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 December 2019, 08:11:29 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline suspiciouscow

« Reply #365 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 08:35:23 »
It's just a very small amount of yas PCBs from the SKB1 GB that I have left. So there won't be much YAS-versions available.

I still have a YAS kit that hasn't been built yet. Is it possible to get a case without the PCB?

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #366 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 08:37:55 »

In the new year, I'll first have to contact the company that did the powder coating and find out what went wrong with the glossy colors (wavy surface). Then I can decide whether glossy will be on option or not. Then probably one more small and quick round of protos with two or three other color options. Better pictures (improved lighting and indoor). Then a google form should help to make a final color decision.

The process takes time. Though I have to say that so far this proceeds quickly. It was less than a month since the day I ordered the last protos until I uploaded the pictures for you.
Sounds great, have an happy 31!

« Reply #367 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 09:24:08 »
It's just a very small amount of yas PCBs from the SKB1 GB that I have left. So there won't be much YAS-versions available.

I still have a YAS kit that hasn't been built yet. Is it possible to get a case without the PCB?

yes, this will be possible.

« Reply #368 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 09:24:58 »
Sounds great, have an happy 31!

yep, happy 31 to all!

Offline suspiciouscow

« Reply #369 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 10:57:45 »

yes, this will be possible.

Woo! Looking forward to it c:
Happy new year!

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #370 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 12:54:47 »

That sounds great, happy new years to you and hopefully to a great 2020 as well

Offline menuhin

« Reply #371 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 04:24:00 »
Noted that some people are saying "happy new year" before new year has actually arrived for the system at least...

Let me do some spiritual cleansing so that this project will be successful in Q1 or Q2 and perhaps I can build it up before the end of 2020.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

« Reply #372 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 09:22:11 »
Let me do some spiritual cleansing so that this project will be successful in Q1 or Q2 and perhaps I can build it up before the end of 2020.

Let me ease potential concerns regarding the timeline.
This will not take nearly as long as SKB(1) did.
I plan to have it completely concluded still in Q1 (of 2020, obviously).

« Reply #373 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 08:34:20 »
Regarding 75%

here are the results so far from the "SKB2 75%" google form:

233047-0

Version D is by far the most favored layout. I like the result a lot because this would be my first choice as well.

Quite a lot have filled out the SKB2-IC form so far. I've learned not to trust IC form numbers too much but it does look like there is a very healthy demand. To keep the SKB2 GB manageable I don't want to offer a "75% version D" right away but instead in a separate GB, later. However I do plan to offer the "75% version A" (for the KBD75-PCB) right away with this GB, better than not having a 75% option at all and the KBD75-PCB is always available.

In short:
- 75% standard version (for KBD75% PCB) in this GB
- 75% version D with new developed PCB in a later GB

Offline Insanto

• Etsy page
« Reply #374 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 09:02:25 »
but what do they mean!?

« Reply #375 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 09:08:30 »
I linked to an earlier post containing a link to the google form where you could vote on the different 75% versions.
here is the direct link again, in there you can see the versions:

KLICK

Offline saesh

« Reply #376 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 12:59:44 »
Regarding 75%

here are the results so far from the "SKB2 75%" google form:

(Attachment Link)

Version D is by far the most favored layout. I like the result a lot because this would be my first choice as well.

Quite a lot have filled out the SKB2-IC form so far. I've learned not to trust IC form numbers too much but it does look like there is a very healthy demand. To keep the SKB2 GB manageable I don't want to offer a "75% version D" right away but instead in a separate GB, later. However I do plan to offer the "75% version A" (for the KBD75-PCB) right away with this GB, better than not having a 75% option at all and the KBD75-PCB is always available.

In short:
- 75% standard version (for KBD75% PCB) in this GB
- 75% version D with new developed PCB in a later GB

Will early birds have the same benefits in the second group buy?

Offline equalunique

« Reply #377 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 13:16:37 »
For the record I just want to say that Version E is a really cool idea.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

« Reply #378 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 13:36:44 »
Will early birds have the same benefits in the second group buy?

If you are an early bird and had hoped for the 75% version D and none of what will be offered in the first batch, then no problem, you can just wait and choose yours from the next batch which will include 75% version D.
Stuffing all the different sizes and version in one batch will be too much. Also we would have to wait a longer since the development of the PCB hasn't even started jet. The TKL (Eon87) prototype is not far away though.

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #379 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 14:07:28 »
For the record I just want to say that Version E is a really cool idea.
Yeah I'm sad about this but those results are pretty damning :( It's not like it's easy to just produce anyway because there is no PCB for it yet, I think. Sucks, it or a version without arrows would look great with the screwheads symmetrical around the centered spacebar.

« Reply #380 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 16:37:31 »
Don't worry, the "SKB2-75% version D" will be done after this and it will come with its own custom PCB. It's just not going to make it into this batch.

« Reply #381 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 16:54:24 »
Trying more colors

I will do one more and last round of prototypes before I start the GB. I was looking for more color options.

I want to try something yellow.

RAL1023 is one that I like.
I looked for recent or upcoming keycap sets that would fit well. Something like Serika, Lux or Dualshot. Even Metropolis would work because of its yellow accents, Nautilus and High Voltage for the same reason. There is also an IC for for Hive PBT, this would also be a good fit. Probably many more, these are just a few examples I could quickly gather. I made some renderings. I can try with other sets, suggestions welcome.

Here is SKB2-60 in RAL1023 (Feinstruktur) and caps with colors that should resemble Serika:

Here again but with a cap set that looks close to Hive:

I also tried purple. Sadly the standard RAL catalogue does not offer a purple that looks satisfying to me. RAL4008 was the best RAL purple but still isn't really good, imo. For a purple I would have to go with Pantone. No option for this GB. Anyway here it is RAL4008 (glossy) combined with a caps set that consits of standard GMK colors TU2, DY and CP (I think something like this exists):

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #382 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 17:02:34 »
Love that yellow!

Will definitely be my choice if it's offered in the GB

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #383 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 17:07:57 »
Yes, this yellow seems more in line with your modernist approach, and is quite nice indeed. Nevertheless, because I already have a rama 65b in the pipes, I might stick to a more classical white or black (depending on the glossy issue).

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #384 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 17:10:06 »
Love the yellow. I’ll be all over that in a 65%

Offline malde

« Reply #385 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 17:24:19 »
I'm also all in if 65% yellow will be an option!

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #386 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 17:27:53 »
Split backspace too on the 65%

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #387 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 17:56:59 »
That yellow looks sick! I think I might pick this one.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #388 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 18:44:35 »
Trying more colors

Love the yellow, personally. I also like the purple, but it is quite particular - would you be willing to give a neon-ish pink a go by any chance? That, yellow and Tiffany blue/teal are the colours I've really wanted to see done for a while and no one's quite gotten them right yet (maybe the Fox65 will but they're not coated yet).

Either way, love to see the progress!

Offline gynovva

« Reply #389 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 19:10:09 »
when's the next early bird gb?

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #390 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 20:38:26 »
That yellow looks amazing. I really like it, almost as much as I like RAL 6027. It looks especially nice in the Feinstruktur. I really hope this and RAL 6027 get the Feinstruktur treatment. (:

Offline MajorclaM

« Reply #391 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 22:57:25 »
I'm looking forward to the 75% GB especially in the inox colors. Are there other stainless steel finishes that you've considered besides raw and nickel? I really like the industrial look and think the gasket is a nice update!

Offline Insanto

• Etsy page
« Reply #392 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 09:05:32 »
I linked to an earlier post containing a link to the google form where you could vote on the different 75% versions.
here is the direct link again, in there you can see the versions:

KLICK

hehe good morning me  :-[ :))

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #393 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 09:17:39 »
Trying more colors

Love the yellow, personally. I also like the purple, but it is quite particular - would you be willing to give a neon-ish pink a go by any chance? That, yellow and Tiffany blue/teal are the colours I've really wanted to see done for a while and no one's quite gotten them right yet (maybe the Fox65 will but they're not coated yet).

Either way, love to see the progress!
I second that. I would be very curious to see a creamy pink (like 60's Cadillac, just before pastel ton, if RAL allowes it). A choice of contrast with the mechanical style.

Offline eebogaine

« Reply #394 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 00:03:25 »
For the fasteners, could you try an ultra low profile socket head screw. Like this:
https://www.mcmaster.com/91223a416

In M3, It's head is 65% lower height, and 3% smaller diameter than the button cap. It's available in black and stainless.

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #395 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 05:14:49 »
For the fasteners, could you try an ultra low profile socket head screw. Like this:

In M3, It's head is 65% lower height, and 3% smaller diameter than the button cap. It's available in black and stainless.

I tried them on the og SKB, i think plastik's choice of screws is the best for a clean all around look. The low caps looks nice tho, used on the very first SKB prototype afaik.
Use them now on mine SKB's for the brute win :)

Offline equalunique

« Reply #396 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 07:40:18 »

How can that one screw be $4.46 each?

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline eebogaine

« Reply #397 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 09:59:50 »

I tried them on the og SKB, i think plastik's choice of screws is the best for a clean all around look. The low caps looks nice tho, used on the very first SKB prototype afaik.

Not quite. The ones on the prototype were the low profile, not the ultra low profile. The ultras are half the height of the regular low profile (2mm vs 1mm). 1mm is really tiny, this is as close to flush as you'll get.

Here's the SKB prototype for reference: https://m.imgur.com/a/5wfjv

EDIT: you're probably right about the aesthetics tho, the button heads look like rivets.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2020, 10:58:37 by eebogaine »

Offline eebogaine

« Reply #398 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 10:05:57 »
How can that one screw be $4.46 each?
That's cause it's McMaster. They can be sourced elsewhere for waaay cheaper. Here's a pack of 50 for $3.80usd:
https://aliexpress.com/item/32981714992.html
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2020, 10:44:06 by eebogaine »

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #399 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 12:52:25 »

Not quite. The ones on the prototype were the low profile, not the ultra low profile. The ultras are half the height of the regular low profile (2mm vs 1mm). 1mm is really tiny, this is as close to flush as you'll get.

Here's the SKB prototype for reference: https://m.imgur.com/a/5wfjv

EDIT: you're probably right about the aesthetics tho, the button heads look like rivets.

Yeah exactly!
Sry, also what i meant. The low profile head/cap hex. The medium sized you linked. Imo the ultra low cap would look like rivets as you said :)
But i love you could go all out on steam punk and "bolt it out" if you wanted haha

It just a top shot tho, but here is my og skb with the low profile heads.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102526.msg2834136#msg2834136