Author Topic: [IC] Elemental 75 | 75% keyboard with Knob, RGB Underglow, Gasket Mounted  (Read 26757 times)

Offline shamit05

Previous IC

Updated Render Album

Reddit Thread

DISCORD

IC Form

After looking at the previous interest check please look at the updated design down below. The updates below will highlight some of the changes made from the last interest check.

UPDATE:

After looking at some of the comments and overall interaction with the post I’d like to see how many people would actually be interested in actually purchasing this keyboard in the future, especially with boards like the gmmk pro releasing. As a result I updated the post with another ic form.

This project started for me well before the announcement of the gmmk pro, so it’s design is not influenced by the gmmk pro, and any similarities are purely coincidental. However, in order to move forward to production I need to know how many people would actually have interest in buying the keyboard, as I can only make it into a fairly priced product with a certain moq.

The Design:

The internals of the board have been completely revamped and refined, while still maintaining the signature look of the board from outside. The board still features a beautiful accent piece running through the center of the board, while maintaining subtle rgb under glow underneath. The OLED screen has been removed for this revision after lots of thought due to the following reasons:

- The OLED screen is difficult to see in normal usage, rendering it as a sort of fruitless addition to the board

- Removing the screen allows for the accent piece to run more seamlessly through the side of the board, increasing aesthetics and reducing the price heavily

- The OLED screen made the accent piece difficult to produce and fragile, a problem that would again increase the price drastically to solve

The Bezels:

To allow for a cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing design, the layout still contains a 1.5u left shift. This allows for a continuous .25u bezel throughout all of the clusters (of keys).

The Rotary Encoder:

Instead of opting for a logo, the keyboard features a rotary encoder. Currently, I've added support on the pcb for clockwise and counterclockwise rotations, as well as a push button.

The Knob:

A gorgeous new addition to the rotary encoder, the knob takes functional aspects of grip and movement. The knob is designed in such a way that it can be replaced with a variety of other knobs already out there on the market, so you can always customize the board to your hearts content. I've introduced two different materials and various color, which you can view in the following section. I am still open to suggestions for improvement on the knob and will definitely read the comments to look for ideas on possible designs to add to the top side of the knob.

Mounting:

After large request, I've revamped the internals to make the plate "gasket mounted". After further testing of burger mounting vs gasket mounting, I determined that I personally enjoy the isolation that gasket mounting brings to each switch press, a feeling that you can't quite achieve with burger mounting.

The Plate:

The plate now features "flex cuts" which are specifically placed to help isolate the specific clusters. In combination with the gasket mounting, the flex cuts help bring relief to each keystroke and give a unique typing experience.

Additional Specs:

6.5 degree typing angle

USB C custom designed PCB with rgb backlighting

Top and Bottom Piece: Aluminum 6061

Middle "Accent" Piece: Brass, Stainless Steel

RGB Lighting Piece: Polycarbonate

Knob: Aluminum 6061, Brass

Plate: Brass

Layouts:

After looking at lots of feedback, I decided to offer support for a number of different layouts, including iso/ansi support, split backspace and left shift, and multiple bottom row layouts.

Pricing:

The price still has a lot of possible fluctuations, especially due to COVID, but a reasonable goal for me as of now for the pricing would be to start at $400, excluding tax and shipping. This price could easily get lower or higher, and it will be more clarified and determined as I approach closer to the group buy stage.

Colors:

Determined Colors for Top and Bottom Pieces: Black, E-white, Navy Blue

Determined Colors for Knob: PVD Polished Black Nickel, PVD Polished Brass, PVD Polished Chrome

Determined Colors for Middle Piece: Black, E-white, PVD Polished Black Nickel, PVD Polished Brass, PVD Polished Chrome, Polished Stainless Steel

Please leave comments for some other possible colors for the top and bottom pieces. I am considering adding one to two possible additional colors based on requests that I see.

Acknowledgements:

NathanAlphaMan: Helped me get started and gave great tips/general knowledge

Keyboard Atelier discord community: Helped me when I had questions along the way and gave lots of great suggestions

Future Development:

Please follow my discord for more updates in the future. Discord will have the most updated features, pricing, and colors.

I have been also working with manufacturers to order a prototype. Once I get a proto ordered and assembled I will post updates on discord.

Once I come closer to the GB date (which is still undetermined, but definitely sooner rather than later), I will also launch a website which will continuously have updates posted. However, until then discord will be my main way of delivering updates aside from possible reddit posts.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 January 2021, 14:42:46 by shamit05 »

Offline hali

• hali.studio
Re: [IC] Elemental 75 | 75% keyboard with Knob, RGB Underglow, Gasket Mounted
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 13:38:30 »
love having the evolv's 1.5u shift integrated into more boards, but this layout is just an evolv

Offline Havattack

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 15:26:40 »
Meh, without the screen it's too much like whole bunch of other keebs for me, the 4 button cluster on the right, instead of he far superior 3, is also unappealing.
I wish you all the luck on your GB none the less, I'm sure others will still be quite interested.   :thumb:

Offline Coldie75

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 17:17:54 »
Would love to see a grey or silver color! Big fan of the underglow design.

Offline rondg

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 16:26:42 »
I have to admit the OLED was the one that got my interest. The placement of the OLED was not ideal though.
Maybe bring it back? Maybe put it in the front, middle.
But depending on the price, I still might get one.

Offline SunsOut

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 01:35:01 »
What keycap set is this ?

Offline Keeblet_257

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 04:32:21 »
I would like to get my hands on the navy blue one is looks good and just like other s said it depends on the price since 450 is the maximum I would pay (excluding taxxes and shipping)

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 06:13:29 »
While im not the biggest fan of the bottom design, all the rest of the board is amazing, love the layout with or without the oled you had, and the compatibility.

Offline roto

• Formerly rubyswb
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 16:31:12 »
Definitely interested in the e-white colourway!

Offline Devil

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 20:22:39 »
Meh, without the screen it's too much like whole bunch of other keebs for me, the 4 button cluster on the right, instead of he far superior 3, is also unappealing.
I wish you all the luck on your GB none the less, I'm sure others will still be quite interested.   :thumb:

You do realize that only 2 other boards have this layout right (4 cluster + knob)? You do realize how milked to death TKls 65%s and 60%s are? Idk what it is with people claiming 75%s are somehow unimmune to this "milked to death phase" as if any of the mentioned haven't haven't been milked to death already. Also how is having a cluster of 3 superior? This has to be the worst troll post I've seen.

Offline yco

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 11:21:21 »

You do realize that only 2 other boards have this layout right (4 cluster + knob)? You do realize how milked to death TKls 65%s and 60%s are? Idk what it is with people claiming 75%s are somehow unimmune to this "milked to death phase" as if any of the mentioned haven't haven't been milked to death already. Also how is having a cluster of 3 superior? This has to be the worst troll post I've seen.

I agree. Everyone is always trying to be "different" so they vouch for features for the sake of being unique. 3 cluster is cool because its "different". I say go with what type of layout suits you and then refine your taste in it instead of bashing other layouts -- true signs of an unoriginal.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 12:48:46 »

....I just said: " For ME" homie, if you like it, cool beans.
"You do realize that only 2 other boards have this layout right (4 cluster + knob)?"
 No, of coarse I did not "realize" that. I don't go around cataloging every current keyboard, and how similar they are, nor do i care, i was just giving my subjective impression.
*"You do realize how milked to death TKls 65%s and 60%s are?"
Sure man, I guess, and again, I don't care, nor do i see what it has to do with what i was saying or implying, or at least trying to imply. When did i mention "layout" at all? I did not. I don't care about the exact layout in general (except the inferiority of the 4 cluster vs 3... jk it doesn't really matter), i just meant the general look. The point was, it's  "smallish" layout, as in 60, 65, 75 or whatever, a knob, standard size bezels and led under-glow. I all ready have a board or 2 like that. I, as in ME, PERSONALLY, was in the market for something with a knob, AND an OLED (I didn't really care about the layout, as long as it was 65-75.) This no longer fits that, and thus, i am no longer interested.
I also did not say that it was "EXACTLY like other boards, only "too similar" and once again, FOR ME.
"Idk what it is with people claiming 75%s are somehow unimmune to this "milked to death phase" as if any of the mentioned haven't haven't been milked to death already"
 Ummmmm... Okay... Who are you even talking to? I never claimed, or even implied any such thing. Stop using my comment as an excuse to go off some weird tangent you've been itching to get off your chest, i do not care.
" This has to be the worst troll post I've see"
 What's wrong with you? There was a redesign of a keyboard i was interested in. I am no longer interested after the redising. So, i make a post stating that, and explaining why, then i sincerely  wish them good luck with it anyway, becasue obviously i'm only one person, and plenty of others will probably dig the redesign, and you.... my genius friend.... think it's a "troll post"......LOL
It really is beyond gross, how weak, and oversensitive people are now a days... sigh.. I'm so sick of having to preface EVERYTHING with "just in my opinion" and no offense" as if that isn't obvious.  People need to thicken up, jesus.

"Oh no! He doesn't like the thing I like, so i'm going to get all butt-hurt, and call him a  troll!" -Pathetic. 

Edit: Oh, and 3key cluster is superior becasue it is more aesthetic. It's got better functuay home boi!
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2021, 16:51:00 by Havattack »

Offline violeaf

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 13:54:56 »
Havattack attacks!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Havattack

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 15:48:26 »
LOL! Sorry everyone. I did not mean to "attack" and i'm slightly embarrassed for how defense that seems re-reading it, but i do not appreciate being accused of making a "troll" comment, when all did was make a post, explaining my honest opinion, in what i felt was a perfectly polite way, in a thread who's purpose is exactly that. Seems kind of absurd to me.

Offline yco

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 10:35:11 »
LOL! Sorry everyone. I did not mean to "attack" and i'm slightly embarrassed for how defense that seems re-reading it, but i do not appreciate being accused of making a "troll" comment, when all did was make a post, explaining my honest opinion, in what i felt was a perfectly polite way, in a thread who's purpose is exactly that. Seems kind of absurd to me.

This man came out the womb swingin haha. jk

Offline soul786

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 22:33:13 »
I'm liking the look of this, will follow along for updates. One thing, the knob looks like one of those aluminum water bottle tops, only thing I'm not too much a fan of.

I like the 4 button cluster on the right over a 3 button cluster, it's preference yes of course.

Offline hownowbrowncow

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 02:01:48 »
Very interested, nice design AND a 75% layout, count me in! Maybe try some other knob designs. I like the arrow cluster.

Offline OLED knob

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 17:57:57 »
I'd like to see you reconsider

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 04:27:22 »
I can’t wait for this, it’s so stunning! And thanks so much for including split space, I can’t live without it 😅

Offline kspark324

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 16:29:09 »
Do you mean 1.5u right shift? Left shift looks standard...

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 10:27:57 »
I like this, would like it even more if I got no knob. Knob serves no purpose for me. It be cool if it had a daughter board for the connector.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 11:31:54 »
I like this, would like it even more if I got no knob. Knob serves no purpose for me. It be cool if it had a daughter board for the connector.

In all honestly, I hardly ever use any of the knobs on keebs I have, but I love having the option to control the volume, or whatever, analogly. And i think they look cool, and as a shallow dude Aesthetics>>>>>>>>>>> Practicality.

Offline ScarletStar

I use knobs all the time to quickly change Volume
And from a design perspective I think it breaks up the monotony of the keys additionally to coloring.

So big thumbs up from me :)

Offline Xury46

I love the symmetry in the design, the spacing around the arrow keys feels perfect. The knob is a nice touch, the underglow is a lot of fun too!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
Won't that plate feel and sound really inconsistent across the alphas? And why add the side mounting tabs at all, if you are also going to try and add flex with those pseudo-leaf-spring tabs?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline ScarletStar

I'll have to agree with tex. Those cuts separating the alphas from the F keys and arrows pretty much leads to the backspace just hanging without any support at all other than the PCB.