Author Topic: Purchase Advice  (Read 3116 times)

Offline ppk

Purchase Advice
« on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 11:58:11 »
Hello, everyone! Looking for a buying suggestion.

I've been looking either for an off-the-shelf or a DIY kit, I can solder so it's not a problem either way, but haven't found anything that fits. Been looking for something that's:

* Black
* 104 key (no 96%, 1800 or 108 key (extra keys is fine but I highly dislike how the extra keys above the numpad look))
* Don't care about switch type but MX-stem would be preferred.
* Chunky, preferably Model M-like in weight, bonus points if it has the model M pencil tray.
* ANSI layout

I've been looking at a Unicomp Model M but importing it from US will result in doubling of the price after EU VAT / import fees / shipping. I know 1 store in the UK that carries them but they don't ship ANSI layout internationally for whatever reason. I've also thought about getting a Dell Bigfoot and modding it but they're also quite expensive.

Does what I'm looking after at all exist at all? I've asked on a few different places but got suggestions for everything but 104 key.

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: Purchase Advice
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 21:21:07 »
Welcome to geekhack

To fit your exact description the unicomp model m is where it's at (There are black model ms that exist that you could find as well)

In terms of customs, there really aren't that many full size customs (or even decently heavy/metal customs in general)

The only one I can think of is the keychron full size (the q6) which fits your description but it's not as heavy as a model m (very few boards are)

The realforce 104u is also an option but again it isn't heavy and is topre. Just buy it on japanese marketplaces as you will find it much cheaper.

The kangaroo might be something to look out. But it's left handed and 550usd which may rule it out, but it's definitely chunky, it could have black but colours haven't been confirmed. It may seem dead but I have heard the runner talking about it so maybe it will be run in the future so keep an eye on it.

Good luck with your search.

Offline ppk

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 September 2023, 05:46:14 »
Yeah, I pondered getting a unicomp for a long time, but sadly after shipping to EU and VAT, it doubles in price. Vintage model Ms are missing meta and menu keys which I use constantly. Most of the ANSI models are located in the USA as well so same issue as unicomps.

I don't need it to be as heavy as a model M, but similar dimension wise, I find it pleasing to the eye and the pencil tray (or something with a similar function) will help with not having pen(cil)s roll around my table.
I know of the keychrons already but both 100% keyboards they have are 108 key which I find ugly to look at and I don't have a use for the extra keys to be honest.

I've actually seen a bunch of "left handed" full size keyboards that would otherwise fit what I'm looking for but the issue lies in the "left handed"-ness of them. Yes, I'm left handed my self but I frankly don't feel like unlearning many years worth of muscle memory just to learn how to use the numpad on the wrong side.

I've actually pretty much given up on searching, haha. Every few months I just do a few quick searches through forums / reddit to see if something has showed up but nothing so far.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 September 2023, 05:55:23 by ppk »

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 07:12:33 »
Yeah, I pondered getting a unicomp for a long time, but sadly after shipping to EU and VAT, it doubles in price. Vintage model Ms are missing meta and menu keys which I use constantly. Most of the ANSI models are located in the USA as well so same issue as unicomps.

I don't need it to be as heavy as a model M, but similar dimension wise, I find it pleasing to the eye and the pencil tray (or something with a similar function) will help with not having pen(cil)s roll around my table.
I know of the keychrons already but both 100% keyboards they have are 108 key which I find ugly to look at and I don't have a use for the extra keys to be honest.

I've actually seen a bunch of "left handed" full size keyboards that would otherwise fit what I'm looking for but the issue lies in the "left handed"-ness of them. Yes, I'm left handed my self but I frankly don't feel like unlearning many years worth of muscle memory just to learn how to use the numpad on the wrong side.

I've actually pretty much given up on searching, haha. Every few months I just do a few quick searches through forums / reddit to see if something has showed up but nothing so far.

there have to be some people in the EU selling their unicomps, no?
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline ppk

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 September 2023, 13:58:39 »
There may be some from time to time, but I frankly can't be arsed to check daily for listings until I find one, so I'd rather buy new.