Author Topic: Vendor/User Feedback System  (Read 37583 times)

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: Vendor/User Feedback System
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 13:56:09 »
As User18 mentioned, this thread included both issues with Classifieds as well as Vendors. I would like to explicitly point out that the ideas and issues below are specifically related to vendors with their own official GeekHack sub forums, and these ideas and thoughts are only pertaining to those vendors/individuals and not any other group. I just want to avoid any possible confusion here

I think that when GeekHack Mods give a sub forum to a Vendor/Artisan that they are endorsing them in an official capacity. From the eyes of new members that may not be completely aware of who the vendors are, or what their reputation is, or how long they have been around, seeing a sub forum for a particular vendor/artisan service will inevitably give them the impression that they are a solid and trusted seller. Obviously GH is not responsible in any way for the actions of the vendors, but I think that when an official sub forum is given to a vendor, some additional rules should apply, especially because it will only help their business.

I think one thing that really needs to change is to limit the # of open buys a vendor/artisan can have open any any given time. I think 3 is more than enough. If a vendor still has 3 open buys, limited human resources to get those buys out, and STILL starts more buys, that is nothing but a slap in the face to those who have participated in those previous buys as it will only add more time and delays to their orders. Another solution would be to require time to completion on the buys, but that is obviously a dumb idea. Buys often hit snags well outside of the control of the vendors here. But, by limiting the # of active buys a vendor can have GH would essentially be protecting the vendors by making them finish what they start and not over estimate their time or ability to get items out, as well as the buyers, by hopefully keeping time to receiving their items to a minimum.

I also think having a feedback thread in their forums for feedback, that the vendors themselves can't edit, would be beneficial. In my earlier thoughts, I thought having an anonymous feedback system would be good, as there is a degree of people being afraid to leave negative feedback for various reasons. Policing and proving the legitimacy of the anonymous system would be a nightmare though. Having a thread where customers could leave their feedback, and the vendors could chime in when needed seems like the best bet, but making sure the vendors can just delete threads they don't like would be key here.

I don't think any of these rules are too strict, especially when the sub forum will only be helping them out.

I agree with most of it except for limiting the number of buys. How are the moderators to determine whether or not a vendor is capable of running multiple buys? Some people may be unable to handle just one, while other, more experience individuals/groups could probably handle five or more.

I dont think a group here, outside companys like Massdrop, have ever managed to successfully juggle 5 group buys, AND deliver them all on time to 100% completion. Yes, the idea is rough, and very few simple ideas will be able to encapsulate everyone running group buys on the same level.

Other ideas like making vendors guess a date of completion, and then freezing further group buys if more than 2 previous one are cuttently "overdue" could also work.

The simple issue is a few vendors start more group buys than they finish it seems like, and this is a problem when you have an official sub forum imo. Vendors not ok with this could always opt out of having an official sub forum

That does sound fair. I've not been around long enough to see the failure any/or delay of any group buys, but I have heard about them. I'm surprised anyone simply accepts the excuses or just lack of communication from those hosting the buy. I suppose this is a hobby with infinite patience on the community's end and few choices when it comes to group buys.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 13:59:52 »
As User18 mentioned, this thread included both issues with Classifieds as well as Vendors. I would like to explicitly point out that the ideas and issues below are specifically related to vendors with their own official GeekHack sub forums, and these ideas and thoughts are only pertaining to those vendors/individuals and not any other group. I just want to avoid any possible confusion here

I think that when GeekHack Mods give a sub forum to a Vendor/Artisan that they are endorsing them in an official capacity. From the eyes of new members that may not be completely aware of who the vendors are, or what their reputation is, or how long they have been around, seeing a sub forum for a particular vendor/artisan service will inevitably give them the impression that they are a solid and trusted seller. Obviously GH is not responsible in any way for the actions of the vendors, but I think that when an official sub forum is given to a vendor, some additional rules should apply, especially because it will only help their business.

I think one thing that really needs to change is to limit the # of open buys a vendor/artisan can have open any any given time. I think 3 is more than enough. If a vendor still has 3 open buys, limited human resources to get those buys out, and STILL starts more buys, that is nothing but a slap in the face to those who have participated in those previous buys as it will only add more time and delays to their orders. Another solution would be to require time to completion on the buys, but that is obviously a dumb idea. Buys often hit snags well outside of the control of the vendors here. But, by limiting the # of active buys a vendor can have GH would essentially be protecting the vendors by making them finish what they start and not over estimate their time or ability to get items out, as well as the buyers, by hopefully keeping time to receiving their items to a minimum.

I also think having a feedback thread in their forums for feedback, that the vendors themselves can't edit, would be beneficial. In my earlier thoughts, I thought having an anonymous feedback system would be good, as there is a degree of people being afraid to leave negative feedback for various reasons. Policing and proving the legitimacy of the anonymous system would be a nightmare though. Having a thread where customers could leave their feedback, and the vendors could chime in when needed seems like the best bet, but making sure the vendors can just delete threads they don't like would be key here.

I don't think any of these rules are too strict, especially when the sub forum will only be helping them out.

I agree with most of it except for limiting the number of buys. How are the moderators to determine whether or not a vendor is capable of running multiple buys? Some people may be unable to handle just one, while other, more experience individuals/groups could probably handle five or more.

I dont think a group here, outside companys like Massdrop, have ever managed to successfully juggle 5 group buys, AND deliver them all on time to 100% completion. Yes, the idea is rough, and very few simple ideas will be able to encapsulate everyone running group buys on the same level.

Other ideas like making vendors guess a date of completion, and then freezing further group buys if more than 2 previous one are cuttently "overdue" could also work.

The simple issue is a few vendors start more group buys than they finish it seems like, and this is a problem when you have an official sub forum imo. Vendors not ok with this could always opt out of having an official sub forum

That does sound fair. I've not been around long enough to see the failure any/or delay of any group buys, but I have heard about them. I'm surprised anyone simply accepts the excuses or just lack of communication from those hosting the buy. I suppose this is a hobby with infinite patience on the community's end and few choices when it comes to group buys.

Well, communication, in the end, is the key. But that is just too hard to police I think. Yeah you could say "one update from vendor required per bi-week by vendor" but that seems like overkill. In the end, people need to do their research before joining any group buy, my ideas are more to protect GH itself by maintaining higher standards for their official sub forums, because it is an official endorsement.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 14:52:38 »

It's really not a matter of "accepting excuses".

Say an organizer says there will be delays because of X reason. You are fed up with delays, so you choose to not "accept" this delay. What do you do? You are on the other side of the Internet from someone you do not know personally, on a website that is not designed or intended to primarily be a place to sell wares. You express distaste, but come across as impatient or needy. Backlash ensues. People fight over how much time is appropriate to wait before complaining. All the while the organizer is still working on the project (benefit of the doubt) and simply needs more time. How does the outburst help?

Reviews and feedback are very helpful, I can't and wouldn't question that. But there are plenty of scenarios where waiting is indeed the best course of action.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 15:18:36 »

Say an organizer says there will be delays because of X reason. You are fed up with delays, so you choose to not "accept" this delay. What do you do? You are on the other side of the Internet from someone you do not know personally, on a website that is not designed or intended to primarily be a place to sell wares. You express distaste, but come across as impatient or needy. Backlash ensues. People fight over how much time is appropriate to wait before complaining. All the while the organizer is still working on the project (benefit of the doubt) and simply needs more time. How does the outburst help?

Reviews and feedback are very helpful, I can't and wouldn't question that. But there are plenty of scenarios where waiting is indeed the best course of action.
I understand this, really, I do. But the idea that someone expressing frustration about being mislead (even when it is done with the best of intentions) being boiled down to a outburst is part of the problem.

At some point it is well with in reason to have an "outburst". A polite one based in fact, not emotion. Because promises matter. Expectations matter. If people just sit back and allow things to continue unchecked honestly, what good does that do? Shouldn't the voice of the people matter? And yes, next time you could choose not to join, but that doesn't help the 'this time' you may find yourself in.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 15:38:28 »

I understand this, really, I do. But the idea that someone expressing frustration about being mislead (even when it is done with the best of intentions) being boiled down to a outburst is part of the problem.

At some point it is well with in reason to have an "outburst". A polite one based in fact, not emotion. Because promises matter. Expectations matter. If people just sit back and allow things to continue unchecked honestly, what good does that do? Shouldn't the voice of the people matter? And yes, next time you could choose not to join, but that doesn't help the 'this time' you may find yourself in.

"Outburst" was a poor choice of word, you are correct.

I've commented on this sort of thing so many times by this point that I feel like a broken record.

I have both sympathy and empathy coming out my ears.  If you honestly think that I meant anything negative by my phrasing, then you will have to wait until I have more time to draft a more proper message.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 15:43:51 »

"Outburst" was a poor choice of word, you are correct.

I've commented on this sort of thing so many times by this point that I feel like a broken record.

I have both sympathy and empathy coming out my ears.  If you honestly think that I meant anything negative by my phrasing, then you will have to wait until I have more time to draft a more proper message.
I understand your stance on this, so no need to explain.  :thumb:

But I wanted to be clear because it often *is* viewed as an outburst out of petty impatience. Sometimes it is, but other times it is very, very warranted and it is beyond frustrating when it is shooed away as some kind of deficiency on the complainers part. Sometimes there is more strength in speaking your mind than staying silent. Knowing when to do speak it and when to stay quiet is important as well.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 15:50:07 »

I disagree with none of this, and very much shows why this is such a difficult thing to find a good balance with.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 12:54:51 »

I disagree with none of this, and very much shows why this is such a difficult thing to find a good balance with.

I disagree with everything said here
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:18:50 »
That is because you are disagreeable.

Vendors can take years to ship and that is ok as long as you know what you are getting into.

It is the ones that never ship that are the problem.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 14:08:53 »
Slight variation, with two aspects to it:

1) Rather than a feedback system, make it mandatory for users interesting in buying/selling/trading to use Heatware and have it present on their account info. This circumvents any potential aspects with the burden of creating a feedback system within the forum itself.

2) Create a subforum within Classified for discussion of disputes and potential scammers.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 22:53:29 »
before this system is finalized, where can I post how I was scammed by a gh user?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 22:56:19 »
before this system is finalized, where can I post how I was scammed by a gh user?

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 23:06:44 »

Ditto. My biggest gripe is communication. X person promises or states that communication/updates are going to be announced daily but continues to ignore what was stated.. Common it takes like a minute to post on geekhack there should be absolutely no excuse for lack of communication.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 07:25:38 »

Ditto. My biggest gripe is communication. X person promises or states that communication/updates are going to be announced daily but continues to ignore what was stated.. Common it takes like a minute to post on geekhack there should be absolutely no excuse for lack of communication.

Since you're technically disagreeing with my statements, I'd like to hear your responses to my questions. 

I never said anything that conflicts with the sentiments you've expressed; it's really not a question of "is this okay", it's a question of "how can you hold people accountable from halfway across the world".  And so far no one has answered that question.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 12:43:44 »
Gucci or not Gucci. Only system we need.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 07:49:37 »
Even given that scenario I still think that it would be fair to be able to let other users know that the service provider is taking longer than expected.
Example: We will call this the WFD. :(
If the service to be provided was replacing one cherry mx switch and it has been sitting at the service provider's house for 6 months, this is no longer in the realm of acceptable by most people.
At that point it would not matter what B.S. excuses the service provider came up with.
It is still not acceptable and everyone should know about it.

My reasoning behind adding a plugin to the site vs using Heatware . Heatware could go out of business and just shut the site down and then all this data is gone. While the likelihood is low, it happens every day to sites larger than it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 February 2016, 08:00:16 by domoaligato »