Author Topic: [GB] GMK WoB Hiragana (CLOSED)  (Read 90071 times)

Offline kekstee

Re: [GB] GMK WoB Hiragana (CLOSED)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 16:51:53 »
Yikes. An actual icon mod kit might sell well right now. Dixie mods just look like your worst dyesub nightmare.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 16:57:01 »
Yikes. An actual icon mod kit might sell well right now. Dixie mods just look like your worst dyesub nightmare.

Throw in a Dixie X novelty while you're at it

Offline hansichen

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 17:01:30 »
Wow, I'm impressed. Thankfully I changed my mind and didn't join it. Such people should be banned from group buys. It not only sucks for the people who joined the group buy but also for the vendors who promised to ship the product that people ordered...

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 19:34:14 »
Micon kit as expected?

Offline bigapplepietart

• Topre Convert
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 19:56:46 »
If anyone no longer wants their Dixie mods, I'll gladly trade for a set of WoB icon mods, or WoB text mods lol (also really want the R3 control icon key).
Current:
Palmetto (Ultraglides) | Heavy Grail (Purple DES V1) | hiney tkl one PC (Orange SKCM Alps) | Lunar II (Green SKCL Alps) | Sho S60 V2 (45g stock domes) | HHKB Hybrid Type-S

Past:
Razer Blackwidow (MX Blues) | FC660M (MX Blues) | GH60 (Ergo Clears) | 8x mkI (Vintage Blacks) | Klippe (Sakurios) | Equinox (Sakurios) | MGA (Silent Alpacas) | Kei (Creamsicles) | KFE CE (Alpacas) | Rukia R1 (Durock L7) | H60 (Silent Blacks) | E80-1800 (MX Blacks) | Ottantaquattro (Vintage Blacks) | hbcp (Vintage Blacks) | HHKB Pro 2 Stock (45g Topre) | ADK64 (Blue SKCM Alps)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 09:33:11 »
If anyone no longer wants their Dixie mods, I'll gladly trade for a set of WoB icon mods, or WoB text mods lol (also really want the R3 control icon key).

PMd

Offline bigapplepietart

• Topre Convert
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 10:21:38 »

PMd

Replied.
Current:
Palmetto (Ultraglides) | Heavy Grail (Purple DES V1) | hiney tkl one PC (Orange SKCM Alps) | Lunar II (Green SKCL Alps) | Sho S60 V2 (45g stock domes) | HHKB Hybrid Type-S

Past:
Razer Blackwidow (MX Blues) | FC660M (MX Blues) | GH60 (Ergo Clears) | 8x mkI (Vintage Blacks) | Klippe (Sakurios) | Equinox (Sakurios) | MGA (Silent Alpacas) | Kei (Creamsicles) | KFE CE (Alpacas) | Rukia R1 (Durock L7) | H60 (Silent Blacks) | E80-1800 (MX Blacks) | Ottantaquattro (Vintage Blacks) | hbcp (Vintage Blacks) | HHKB Pro 2 Stock (45g Topre) | ADK64 (Blue SKCM Alps)

Offline udller

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 11:58:53 »
im really sad to find out it hasn't got the mods it should have :( now ill have to buy another wob set :(

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 17:52:27 »
Photo of set (not mine, credit goes to Koen of GMK Perestroika):
Show Image

Centered Caps and Shift but top-aligned Home, PgUp, PgDn. Yikes...

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #159 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 01:58:08 »
Show Image

Those keys being beside each other does look weird

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 02:02:18 »
The Australian vendor site render shows all the correct icons, but top left aligned. Why they would change that I dunno

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 02:27:11 »
Show Image

Funny part is that Dixie mods are so half assed. The goal was to be consistent and center, but they left out several mods that aren't centered. Those who they did center, aren't even optically centered anyway 😂 what was even the point, sigh. They sold them in as gods gift to mankind and I'm left speechless at how stupid the whole thing is.

Yikes man

Offline psxndc

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 03:07:13 »
Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. And I was so psyched for this set. :feelsbadman:
Ortho. Always.

Offline briano1905

« Reply #163 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 05:20:36 »
Hi everyone,

Im glad to see some people are receiving their sets already and hope all of you will receive yours very soon :)

I also want to address the legend on the modifier keys that buyer found understandably as an unpleasant surprise

## Centered icon legends

I assume this is what people are saying when they say 'dixie mods' which was announced about a month before this set ran in 9009's r3 IC. I thought it was brilliant idea, it fixed the old legend alignment issue which bothered me a lot. I overlooked the controversy around the new icon placement because to me it seemed like a no brainer and that it was going to be the default for all future icon gmk sets (I was wrong). And I failed to inform the community, which was completely my mistake. I greatly apologize for those who were expecting this to come with the old legends.

## Escape and tab key

Initially, when the IC was first posted, it had a circular icon and standard 2 line tab key. The escape and tab key was changed during the IC stage https://imgur.com/a/CPpQGKx Then I got some new renders made to reflect the change. I did however made a mistake not making it obvious that the round escape key and two line tab key were no longer part of the set and kept old renders...

Again, I am sorry and regret the poor communication on my part

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 06:08:43 »
Hi everyone,

Im glad to see some people are receiving their sets already and hope all of you will receive yours very soon :)

I also want to address the legend on the modifier keys that buyer found understandably as an unpleasant surprise

## Centered icon legends

I assume this is what people are saying when they say 'dixie mods' which was announced about a month before this set ran in 9009's r3 IC. I thought it was brilliant idea, it fixed the old legend alignment issue which bothered me a lot. I overlooked the controversy around the new icon placement because to me it seemed like a no brainer and that it was going to be the default for all future icon gmk sets (I was wrong). And I failed to inform the community, which was completely my mistake. I greatly apologize for those who were expecting this to come with the old legends.

## Escape and tab key

Initially, when the IC was first posted, it had a circular icon and standard 2 line tab key. The escape and tab key was changed during the IC stage https://imgur.com/a/CPpQGKx Then I got some new renders made to reflect the change. I did however made a mistake not making it obvious that the round escape key and two line tab key were no longer part of the set and kept old renders...

Again, I am sorry and regret the poor communication on my part

this doesn't justify anything to me, what a weak "excuse". this is more like
"eheh woopsie, i felt like it, sucks to be u XDDDDD"

best of luck in the future. that's now two sets from you i've been disappointed, not going to be a third
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2020, 06:12:10 by Emir »

Offline koenoe

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 06:32:20 »
I don’t often agree with Emir, but have to agree this is a weak response.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 09:21:56 »

## Centered icon legends

I assume this is what people are saying when they say 'dixie mods' which was announced about a month before this set ran in 9009's r3 IC. I thought it was brilliant idea, it fixed the old legend alignment issue which bothered me a lot.

Sorry that I'm not as dialed into the process, and what came before, but I don't get what this "fixed" though. Now you have a set with most keys, including some mods, that are top left aligned and some that are center left aligned. The renders look consistent, so what was the issue that was "fixed"?
Ortho. Always.

Offline apejonk

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 09:25:43 »
I said it here before, I'm not happy with the last-second-changes. But briano1905 showed up, apologized for the lack of communication and gave a look into his thought process. What else could he do? In an utopian world he could get the old style mods made and sent to every buyer out of his pocket but we all know this isn't gonna happen. And wouldn't happen with any other GB runner.

So all that is left now for those affected is to move on and for GB runners to learn from it.
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, stepped control users, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2 Timothy 1:5)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 09:42:59 »
I said it here before, I'm not happy with the last-second-changes. But briano1905 showed up, apologized for the lack of communication and gave a look into his thought process. What else could he do? In an utopian world he could get the old style mods made and sent to every buyer out of his pocket but we all know this isn't gonna happen. And wouldn't happen with any other GB runner.

So all that is left now for those affected is to move on and for GB runners to learn from it.

You don't get it.

His apology doesn't read like he understands how INSANELY wrong it is to do this, regardless what the change is.

It reads more like "ah sorry didn't know people cared about mods", and even for that it's a bad apology. This isn't about specific mods, it's about selling one thing and delivering another - as I said it is incomprehensible to me that a runner would go and change something after people bought into it, and then present us with this pathetic excuse of an apology that shows zero remorse.

Imagine buying a TKL in brass, then suddenly you get an acrylic stack alice and the runner is like "sorry I thought it was an brilliant idea, alice is popular right, to me it seemed liek a no brainer (I was wrong)".
How'd you feel?

Offline wil

« Reply #169 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 09:51:03 »
I thought it was brilliant idea, it fixed the old legend alignment issue which bothered me a lot. I overlooked the controversy around the new icon placement because to me it seemed like a no brainer and that it was going to be the default for all future icon gmk sets (I was wrong).

Offline alpaone

« Reply #170 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 09:59:20 »
I'd also be up for trading if someone wants to get rid of their dixie mods and tab for the WoB icon mods and tab.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 10:01:14 »
I'd also be up for trading if someone wants to get rid of their dixie mods and tab for the WoB icon mods and tab.

PM

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #172 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 10:32:00 »
I have to agree with the sentiment here. It's pretty poor form for a GB runner to make a design change after everyone has joined the GB. This will be my first and last briano GB probably

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 10:45:32 »
In an utopian world he could get the old style mods made and sent to every buyer out of his pocket but we all know this isn't gonna happen. And wouldn't happen with any other GB runner.

Oh word?

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 11:08:46 »
So is there a proposed resolution? Or everyone is just stuck with something they were not promised and that's it?

Offline apejonk

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 13:28:11 »
It reads more like "ah sorry didn't know people cared about mods", and even for that it's a bad apology. This isn't about specific mods, it's about selling one thing and delivering another - as I said it is incomprehensible to me that a runner would go and change something after people bought into it, and then present us with this pathetic excuse of an apology that shows zero remorse.
I really understand. Like I said before, I too would much rather have old style mods and would have thought again if I should buy this set if I would have known this before making a buy. But let's be honest, even if he would go to Canossa, it will not change the fact that the set is what it is.

Oh word?
Simple economics tells me that is is not feasible. If we price this salvage kit really low at $20 and add $10 for shipping this would be a whooping $10,440 at 348 sets. Not going to happen. I don't know how much briano1905 made with this set but if it's something near this amount I have to start an IC right now.
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, stepped control users, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2 Timothy 1:5)

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 15:46:18 »
I sure as hell don't know what a possible resolution could be. I've only been in this hobby a few years, so I don't understand the ins-n-outs. Maybe I'm wrong here, but from my perspective it seems sad that a deception was made by the runner, allowed by the vendor, and there is not a single consequence or resolution. People can't even file a PayPal dispute because of the time limit.

It's obviously a petty issue overall because it's just keycaps we're talking about here. I didn't even get in on the group buy. I just have friends who did and they're pretty pissed, and I can already see they just have to accept it, feel like they got cheated or at least lied to and move on. People have made posts about lessons learned, but the lesson being imparted here seems to be that people can get away with stuff like this (changing based on what you want rather than what everyone paid for) and all consequence would go on the consumer with virtually none on the responsible parties.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #177 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 16:05:49 »
Yeah that's another aspect, the vendors places the orders, why did no vendor step in? All of them have experience, blame is on them too. Expected more from respectable vendors like novelkeys.

Offline joonia

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 16:31:42 »
I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 16:56:35 »
Yeah that's another aspect, the vendors places the orders, why did no vendor step in? All of them have experience, blame is on them too. Expected more from respectable vendors like novelkeys.

I mean I'm all for holding people accountable and I would like to think I'd also find it a little strange if a change was made so late into the process, but as per what Novelkeys seemingly said (the post linked a while back explaining what had happened) it appears as though he/they just expected Briano to have had communicated the changes to the community and buyers or not thought much of it - I don't think it really is on the vendors/proxies or on GMK to double check that the person designing and pushing the set forward from its inception is not (un)willingly deceiving the customer, considering the amount of workload everyone involved on that end faces it probably didn't even occur to them that that might be a thing.

I don't fault anyone for that personally.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 17:54:14 »

It's pretty normal for the designer to be expected to handle comms when it comes to set changes. Vendors very rarely communicate regarding the design of the set.

Offline udller

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 17:56:53 »
maybe we should get a final finalised render of the set kits before payments are sent to gmk so we know EXACTLY what we will be getting.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #182 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 19:15:18 »
maybe we should get a final finalised render of the set kits before payments are sent to gmk so we know EXACTLY what we will be getting.
... final render? Bruh, my set will be physically in my hands on Monday. Money was sent to gmk long ago.
Ortho. Always.

Offline Georgeotj

[GB] GMK WoB Hiragana (CLOSED)
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 19:22:29 »
... final render? Bruh, my set will be physically in my hands on Monday. Money was sent to gmk long ago.
He’s talking about future buys. But the kits were present in the GB, problem is that the keyboard renders didn’t show those differences and even then there were more changes done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline psxndc

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 19:23:59 »
Got it. My b.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2020, 19:25:33 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline MrCoolPants

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 01:53:06 »
Talk about a disappointment... Well guess I know which future gbs to steer clear of.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 04:48:33 »

It's pretty normal for the designer to be expected to handle comms when it comes to set changes. Vendors very rarely communicate regarding the design of the set.

I'm not asking the vendor to communicate in the thread. What I was expecting of these well renowned vendors was once they got information about such a drastic change last minute before the order, to ask the designer "oh ok, did you let everyone know?"
If that is too much to ask, then I don't know. Of course there are varying levels of vendors and how much they care about products they are selling, all I'm saying is that I expected more from Mike which I expect was the one who spoke to GMK about the change. :)

Offline Nujabez0

« Reply #187 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 07:21:22 »
So is anything going to be done about this issue ? Like yeah you've given us an explanation to your last second undisclosed decision, and an apology is given. That still doesn't matter to some of us that specifically bought this set expecting the initial renders icons. Is something going to be done about this?

Offline hkiri

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 07:58:03 »
If anyone wants to sell their set (not just the mods), I'm happy to take it off your hands!

Offline placebo guy

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 10:24:42 »
So is anything going to be done about this issue ? Like yeah you've given us an explanation to your last second undisclosed decision, and an apology is given. That still doesn't matter to some of us that specifically bought this set expecting the initial renders icons. Is something going to be done about this?

Nothing is going to get done. We take it in the bung hole and wait for someone to run a new Group Buy in a year or so with the proper aligned mods.
Leopold TKL MXRed; RF 103U 55G; WASD MXBlack; Unicomp Spacesaver; AT101W; RK-9000 Blue; various Filco

Offline lunr

« Reply #190 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 12:40:54 »
I would rather burn it to hell.

Throw in a Dixie X novelty while you're at it

Offline ProlificPanda

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 19:59:54 »
Wait, so the designer/runner comes here and plainly admits that the kits were not delivered as expected but offers absolutely no resolution to the problem? How is that even a thing?

You're making money off the backs of other people and you messed up. Time to fix your mistake.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 00:58:04 »
Wait, so the designer/runner comes here and plainly admits that the kits were not delivered as expected but offers absolutely no resolution to the problem? How is that even a thing?

You're making money off the backs of other people and you messed up. Time to fix your mistake.

Yes that's the reality of it. They're not going to buy out an icon kit for everyone.

Idk what novel keys does but mykeyboard offers a refund if you so wish. I was lucky enough to find a mod trade with someone from the thread so you could try that too. It'll leave you feeling sorry for the dude you're trading with though, handing over disgusting sacrilegous mods that don't even do what they're supposed to do, ew.

Offline Shinigamii

« Reply #193 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:28:17 »
My base kit came in a few days ago and it did not have the packaging with the art on it, I apologize if I missed something, but was there a memo about them not sending those, or did they just not end up creating them?

Offline Georgeotj

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:29:35 »
My base kit came in a few days ago and it did not have the packaging with the art on it, I apologize if I missed something, but was there a memo about them not sending those, or did they just not end up creating them?

GMK forgot the set had a bandolier

Offline udller

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 16:58:04 »
gmk not wanting to put there branding on the set? do they hate the mismatched mods as well ?

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 16:58:27 »

Mgsickler mentioned this prior to the mods kerfluffle, it’s the 5th post down on page 3. I think you oughta get the art as a desktop background or something...

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #197 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 17:14:39 »
gmk not wanting to put there branding on the set? do they hate the mismatched mods as well ?

As posted numerous times in this thread, the mods are a direct result of the designer. GMK did not choose those mods, instead the designer decided which mods were to be used.

Offline honoka

« Reply #198 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 09:32:58 »
let your vendors know you are dissaponted and ask for a resolution from them. the actual transaction and business was made with them. hopefully they will be able to resolve it with the designer who is clearly at fault

Offline Hamel

• KBDLAB
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 01:19:04 »
Photographs from friend of mine who joined this GB :

Have to say that its quite disappointing to see

1. No banderole

239782-0

2. Blurry enter mods

239784-1

3. Smudged & Shiny alphas as if they've been used

239786-2