Author Topic: Heyo it's Niko ☆ Intro + Basic Questions  (Read 1750 times)

Offline peachie

• keycap enthusiast, dreams of designing
Heyo it's Niko ☆ Intro + Basic Questions
« on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 14:56:19 »
Hello friends!

I'm Peachie-- irl name Niko-- a 25 year old keycap fanatic from California, USA, and I was introduced (and subsequently addicted) to the hobby of mechanical keyboards by my boyfriend Dat this year, when he decided to pursue his own dream of building an ortholinear keyboard. My laptop was missing several keys and becoming less and less useable, so instead of researching the warranty and getting it repaired like a smart person, I decided to get a keyboard I could customize myself to plug in and use as a replacement (pictured below). Then I discovered the world of custom keycaps, and was completely hooked.

GK64x w/ walnut case, my first mechanical keyboard of many to come

Now, some months later, BF's 75 key ortho has still yet to be completed (a hold up with the company cutting the custom case he rendered), I've gained... well, all the keyboards in my signature; but best of all, we've decided to combine his  clay modeling + 3D rendering skills and my drawing/art skills, and bought a Creality Ender 3 3D Printer-- now we're in the works of starting to make our own keycaps!

So far, people in this community seem pretty nice overall, and I'm enjoying my time here on Geekhack and on /r/mechanicalkeyboards~

Fun Facts:
My favorite keyboard size is 65%
My favorite keycap set is GMK Vaporwave (has been since basically the start of my keycap hobby; after months of hunting, someone found ME yesterday and sold me the base set at a great price! Yay! Now I need the Hiragana kit and I can stop collecting keycaps right? yeaaah.....)
My preferred switch style is tactile. I kinda made the mistake of going high end early, and now I'm hooked on 62g Zilents and 65g Zealios
I don't have a favorite/dream keyboard yet. I'm not familiar enough with what's out there to decide on a high end/end game model!

as for my questions:
⋆ I keep seeing people with little keyboard pixel icons in their signatures-- where do those come from? (I'm hoping a generator and not an artist I need to pay to commission lmao). I want to show off tiny, cute renderings of my keebs in my signature too! ;v;
edit: ANSWERED! Thank you dgneo
⋆ any core advice you have for someone new to mech keyboards? stuff like "learn to solder" (I've only ever torch-soldered before-- for metalsmithing-- but my dad has been building computer components since the first PCs came out, so he's going to teach me w his Hakko kit) or other advice, the kind of things you wish someone had told you when you were just getting into this hobby? That'd be really rad, thanks!
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 August 2020, 16:14:15 by peachie »

Foxlab Key65       TMO50          MOJO60

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: Heyo it's Niko ☆ Intro + Basic Questions
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 15:10:51 »
welcome

pixel art keyboards can be found here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=19113.0

as for advice, learning to solder is definitely up there. i find building boards to be a very relaxing process and enjoy it very much.

and mainly enjoy your keyboards. a lot of people end up succumbing to fomo and get burnt out, especially with how quick this hobby moves now, but just remember to enjoy the boards you have.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 15:59:16 »
Welcome! Sounds like you’ve got a few mentors. You’ll do fine. The key is practice practice practice.

Offline peachie

• keycap enthusiast, dreams of designing
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 16:24:28 »
welcome

pixel art keyboards can be found here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=19113.0

as for advice, learning to solder is definitely up there. i find building boards to be a very relaxing process and enjoy it very much.

and mainly enjoy your keyboards. a lot of people end up succumbing to fomo and get burnt out, especially with how quick this hobby moves now, but just remember to enjoy the boards you have.

Oh, thanks so much!!

Damn, I couldn't find anything similar to my keyboards on the masterlist of pixel boards they've made! I've done a good amount pixel art before myself (of characters, not objects) and I'm sure I could mod another TKL to look like one of mine, but I'm on the fence as to whether that would be art theft/ offensive to the artist at all hahah.

I've definitely been grappling with FOMO already in terms of group buys, but you're totally right, I ought to take time to remind myself to chill and enjoy this as a hobby, not a completionist obsession. I was starting to think I'd never find GMK Vaporwave for less than $300-$400, but I did, so surely if I pass on a certain GB, there will be a chance to get it later if I decide I'm really intent on finding it!

Thanks for the reply and the advice, it's nice to meet you~

Foxlab Key65       TMO50          MOJO60