Author Topic: Hello, from a keyboard builder and woodworker.  (Read 1392 times)

Offline jhiggs

Hello, from a keyboard builder and woodworker.
« on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 18:31:09 »
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I've browsed through it anonymously from time to time for many years, but never really participated.

I've been building keyboards periodically for seven or eight years, but I'm not exactly a keyboard geek - I don't collect them and I don't really follow the trends. Every year or so, I might make a new build or significantly change an existing build. I value the freedom that comes from fully understanding somethings hardware and software -- that I can, repair and improve it. I also take great comfort in that once made, a keyboard is  not really going to become obsolete like pretty well any other tech hardware.

I have a young kid who's recently changed her sleep patterns enough for me to be able to make way into the shed at nights (though the local COVID-19 lock-down is preventing me from actually doing so). I'm also a hobbyist hand-tool woodworker. With my new-found spare time, I intend to first make a new keyboard for myself, then perhaps a few for others if there is demand.

As an example of the keyboards I build, attached is my current one.