Author Topic: Improving the sound of Tofu 60% ?  (Read 5745 times)

Offline guyga

Improving the sound of Tofu 60% ?
« on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:48:08 »
I built a Tofu 60% with an aluminum plate, lubed Durock Koala switches and ePBT Kuro/Shiro. It sounds pretty bad to the point of being distracting. Some keys sounds good but the sound is very inconsistent across the board, and is metallic in many places. I suppose this is because it is a tray-mount case. Is there a way to significantly improve the sound or is it a lost cause?

I'm considering doing the following:

1. Add Sorbothane between the PCB and case
2. Remove the center post with a Dremel to fix the sound on G,H

By comparison, my GMMK Hotswap (with lubed Zealios) sounds great with no modifications. Happy to hear any advice on this!

Offline shadowcelery

Re: Improving the sound of Tofu 60% ?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 14:47:58 »
The methods you have mentioned should help dramatically with the sound. The metallic sound is most likely caused by the empty space between the pcb and the case and the inconsistency of switch sound, especially among the alphas, will be fixed with the center post removed. I would also play around with plate material if you have the resources because different materials have much different sounds. Goodluck that sounds like quite the board you've built! 

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 16:16:13 »
My friend Andy did a video of it and you can read  about it here

treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline guyga

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 18:30:19 »
Thank you! The video is encouraging, it sounds great. I will try these methods and report back. If it doesn't work I'll try a different plate material.