Author Topic: [IC] GMK AZiMUTH - Updates, Poll Results  (Read 72015 times)

Offline tintoret

[IC] GMK AZiMUTH - Updates, Poll Results
« on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 15:29:54 »

Update 3/26/2017
  • Results of the poll favored top-printing to keep the look of the original, by about 2:1.
  • Made some updates to the kit and added an escape pack. Looking forward feedback.
  • If there is still enough interest in the set, it's probably about time to look into running it...

GMK ColorsBase ColorDouble-ShotPad Printed
AlphanumericN9CPN6 / TU2 / P3
Function KeysCCCP
ModifiersN9N6 / TU2 / P3
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 March 2017, 18:54:00 by tintoret »

Offline weifanwang

Re: [IC] GMK AZiMUTH
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 15:43:05 »
nice

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 16:57:52 »
Will the R4 ISO alpha key be blank?

I'd prefer any legend on it instead of none. Otherwise it will stick out...

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 17:33:56 »
Does GMK do triple-shot legends like that?

EDIT: Oh I see, printed.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 17:55:02 »
Nice, have added to the GMK Database

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 18:20:38 »
Will the those printed legends on the alphas be side-printed, or top-printed? Personally I think they would look much better side printed.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline tintoret

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 18:40:52 »

That totally depends on what people want. I went with the blank out of convention.

Will the those printed legends on the alphas be side-printed, or top-printed? Personally I think they would look much better side printed.

They'll be top-printed like they are here:

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 19:17:46 »
Looks really nice, two suggestions

1. I think an escape pack with each of the sublegends colours would be popular
2. I must advocate an 1800 kit or at least 1u + and - key to partially support it   :thumb:

other than that I think it looks great.

Offline xiaodian317

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 19:34:38 »
Is the mechanical keyboard of NASA for MX?

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 22:29:35 »
Maybe make the number row the light colored row to appeal to the 60% users out there?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 00:48:43 »
the numpad looks really really beautiful, would buy a set if this turn into gb and the price is under $200 for full set.

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 00:56:56 »
Looks cool to me, I am gonna follow this for sure.

Offline GooNyang

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 17:13:57 »
Looks amazing! but I think I will like keycaps in white with legends. Im interested! Are all legends printed? no doubleshot?

Offline dadoduk

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 23:23:01 »
It's great!!  hurry up!!

Offline lolpes

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 02:48:59 »
Honestly? the set does look good, but I think people need to be presenting more creative color schemes for GMK, like Nub's skeletor. This is the reason why GMK sets have been failing and I think I would like to see a colorfull creative color scheme. Just my 2 cents and hope I am not to much offtopic here,  the set does look great although much of it can be replicate with existing set, besides the pad printed legends, although for me those count as 0.

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 05:29:34 »
I so want this. After the failure of Royal and SNES I need this!
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline Dee1

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 08:32:54 »
I quite like the look of this one! Hope it all comes together soon. :)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 11:09:21 »
I like how it looks I am just concerned with MOQ, this set really has to be on point and attract a lot of interest With so many GMK buys still on going, I doubt people have more money they are able to set aside and tie up into a group buy. I mean right now I have over $500 between 3 buys.. I would make it one kit, regardless of price. That way you only need to sell 150 kit total.

Offline tintoret

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 15:19:42 »
Honestly? the set does look good, but I think people need to be presenting more creative color schemes for GMK, like Nub's skeletor. This is the reason why GMK sets have been failing and I think I would like to see a colorfull creative color scheme. Just my 2 cents and hope I am not to much offtopic here,  the set does look great although much of it can be replicate with existing set, besides the pad printed legends, although for me those count as 0.

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. I think the creative color schemes like Skeletor are awesome, but there is also something to be said about how GMK production (especially the profile) lends itself really well to recreation or reinterpretation of classic designs. This might be part of the reason that even colorful GMK designs tend to play it safe in other ways, focusing on color as a contrast to white, beige, grey, or black.

I like how it looks I am just concerned with MOQ, this set really has to be on point and attract a lot of interest With so many GMK buys still on going, I doubt people have more money they are able to set aside and tie up into a group buy. I mean right now I have over $500 between 3 buys.. I would make it one kit, regardless of price. That way you only need to sell 150 kit total.

I think this is also a really good point. When and how it is run will be seriously contingent on what the buy environment is like when the design reaches that point. Optimizing the kits to make sure they can be minimal enough to make MOQ is a top priority at the moment.

Offline Prankk

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 14:49:19 »
This is pretty slick!!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 19:02:28 »
i'm thinking this will look perfect on a black Mira

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 09:58:54 »
After seeing the mockup for a few minutes each detail of the design adds as another reason to get this set, while thinking, well it should have this, I found the feature included and felt like I have to get it. Congratulations! the design rocks!. Now our keyboards may be reminiscent of the space exploration.

One minor suggestion, that is more aspirational than an actual need, is a 1u Alt or Alt Gr key; otherwise, if you want to provide support for 1800 you will need all the modifiers in 1u; however, the priority is to keep its price low to get as many interested parties as possible, turning into buyers.

Take my money!

Offline AgentZen

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 01:41:15 »
Pretty neat. Love the colors.
KUL ES-87 w/ Clears (GMK Hyperfuse) | Working on: Custom 60% w/ 65g feelios (BSP blanks)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 09:02:38 »
A lesson learned with a recent drop for a GMK set with pad printed legends was that their use on a key cap set design is controversial and a reason to complain and to not get into the buy; people that are accustomed to the cheap pad printing used in stock key cap sets think that GMK pad printing will run off quickly, as quickly as those cheap sets printing. My experience with OG Cherry is that they last for ages with no signs of wear, but I cannot say that the same applies to GMK. This is one important point, no one has long time experience with GMK pad printing to offer witness testimony on its longevity. Considering this you may try to quote side printing, that may rule this out as a potential issue and another reason for people not to get into the buy. Besides, having these legends side pad printed would be a first and it could make this one a very special set on its own right, a set that will be a legend. If the quotation is too high, you may re-consider the use of pad printing, because in an expensive set like this there is no room for the risk to have a worn off legend after few months.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 11:00:27 »
A lesson learned with a recent drop for a GMK set with pad printed legends was that their use on a key cap set design is controversial and a reason to complain and to not get into the buy; people that are accustomed to the cheap pad printing used in stock key cap sets think that GMK pad printing will run off quickly, as quickly as those cheap sets printing. My experience with OG Cherry is that they last for ages with no signs of wear, but I cannot say that the same applies to GMK. This is one important point, no one has long time experience with GMK pad printing to offer witness testimony on its longevity. Considering this you may try to quote side printing, that may rule this out as a potential issue and another reason for people not to get into the buy. Besides, having these legends side pad printed would be a first and it could make this one a very special set on its own right, a set that will be a legend. If the quotation is too high, you may re-consider the use of pad printing, because in an expensive set like this there is no room for the risk to have a worn off legend after few months.

I share your concerns about pad printing. We all know that it doesn't hold up very well on the budget cap sets, but how long lasting is GMK's pad printing process? I don't store my boards inside of display cases, I use them. I'm not going to pay a premium for any caps that can not stand up to daily use, no matter how attractive they are. Can anyone allay my fears about the pad printing process, as executed by GMK?

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 20:07:28 »
GMK could do triple-shot in technique, but lack of moulds.
IF this set is made in triple shot , it would be more popular. just my suggestion.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:46:42 »

I share your concerns about pad printing. We all know that it doesn't hold up very well on the budget cap sets, but how long lasting is GMK's pad printing process? I don't store my boards inside of display cases, I use them. I'm not going to pay a premium for any caps that can not stand up to daily use, no matter how attractive they are. Can anyone allay my fears about the pad printing process, as executed by GMK?

i would suggest you check out the electric bluegaloo thread. there were side-printed legends on some of those caps. incredibly good quality. i dont know if anyone can attest to the longevity of GMK's pad printing, but the legend quality is certainly some of the best in the world

Offline tintoret

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:09:03 »

Thanks, this is really valuable feedback. I have a pretty positive impression of the OG Cherry pad-prints, even when they begin to show some wear after the years. I think its similar to the character added by eventual shine or yellowing on good quality ABS. However, it would definitely be worthwhile to look into the longevity of GMK pad-prints as wearing off after not much use would be a bummer.

I'm inclined against front printing, as I think the subtlety would take away some of the set's character, but I could probably be convinced.

I also might play around with layouts that only have the primary legends, to see if I can come up with something that still captures the spirit of the original.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:34:56 »

i would suggest you check out the electric bluegaloo thread. there were side-printed legends on some of those caps. incredibly good quality. i dont know if anyone can attest to the longevity of GMK's pad printing, but the legend quality is certainly some of the best in the world

I'm not questioning how GMK's pad printed legends would look. I'm sure that they would be nothing short of beautiful.

Similarly, I wouldn't have any reservations about using pad printing for side-printed legends, since they would not be exposed to any meaningful wear in that position. As a matter of fact, I have some cheap side printed legends on a daily driver and after a year of abuse, they still look brand new. Using pad printing on a wear surface, however, is the open question in my mind. Some keysets notoriously show signs of wear after only a couple of weeks of daily use. If I had spent $19 for a set that wore quickly, I'd chalk it up to getting what I paid for. If, on the other hand, I paid $200 for a set that wore like that, I'd be extremely disappointed.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:13:25 »
Love the look, would be down for a set for sure!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:38:54 »
personally, i dont like the feel of pad-printed keys. feels like the keys have dirt and grime on them or something. i dont plan to use this set on a daily driver, but that being said, i would not want any of the aesthetics of the design to be compromised for any reason. This is probably one of the most interesting sets i am following right now

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:45:58 »
This is an example of a recent side pad printed key cap, the quality is great and being side printed means it would not get any wear. As someone wrote you may ask GMK if triple shot might be feasible, that may mean some additional tooling for legends at least, or even some molds, if the last are needed it may not be feasible at all due to a considerable investment, in any case, asking only would not do any harm.

I also like the secondary legends in the original set, if they are as good as OG Cherry's that would be very good, but the point here is not one's opinion, but how good the set is in the mind of most, in order for the set to reach MoQ.

Offline quantrix

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:16:20 »
This is a very unique set and I'd love to see it reach MOQ and be produced.

I think in the current state of the wider community there would be more interest going forward if the secondary legends were pad printed on the side.  It may not be exactly true to the original, but side-printing would look sharp with those colors and give people the longevity that is demanded nowadays.  From a design perspective, it literally opens a new dimension of text to the eyes, which would be an awesome color effect in my opinion.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 20:58:41 »
Definitely into it, so long as it's $175 for the full set after MOQ.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 21:00:24 »
very interesting look. hoping to see a render for it dou. would definately get a set if this happens
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 02:40:16 »
I like it  pls make it happen

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 07:18:53 »

That totally depends on what people want. I went with the blank out of convention.

This, I think that the row 4 key with these legends could be full double shot:

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:06:48 »
Posting for updates on this. :thumb:
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline tintoret

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:17:01 »

Finishing up some end of semester grading and writing, but will pick it back up soon! Hoping to finalize the design and get renders and price info during the summer.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:25:42 »

Finishing up some end of semester grading and writing, but will pick it back up soon! Hoping to finalize the design and get renders and price info during the summer.

Cool. Eagerly waiting for this to come into fruition

Offline dunglefinker

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:57:38 »
replying for updates, these are really cool and would finally rope a couple coworkers into this hobby of ours

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 15:43:17 »
Cool. Eagerly waiting for this to come into fruition
Ha Tintoret, don't worry. School and other real life stuff always comes first.
I was just replying so this thread shows up in my feed and I don't miss my chance when it goes to the GB stage. ;)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Mr.Lunchbox

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:22:24 »
Love this. Will definitely be supporting it when it comes to fruition.

Just one note: It might just be my screen or my eyes but to me it appears that the legends should be V2 and not N6. Its a little hard to tell what the actual color is on the NASA PGSC from the photos and I think ideally it would be somewhere between those two colors but to my eyes it looks like V2 is closer to the color you have in your rendering.

Offline tintoret

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 21:55:12 »
Love this. Will definitely be supporting it when it comes to fruition.

Just one note: It might just be my screen or my eyes but to me it appears that the legends should be V2 and not N6. Its a little hard to tell what the actual color is on the NASA PGSC from the photos and I think ideally it would be somewhere between those two colors but to my eyes it looks like V2 is closer to the color you have in your rendering.

You may be right. KLE is a bit finicky for color accuracy. Although more of an amber would match the 1530, I went with the N6 because it seemed closer and is a dead ringer for the yellow on the first generation Compass. It would also avoid just reproducing the V2 on N9 from SkiData+.

How could anyone not love this?
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 22:58:59 »
Wow! what a render.

Any chance to have an accented yellow/orange ISO Enter key like the ANSI Enter included?

Offline tintoret

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 23:32:44 »
Wow! what a render.

Any chance to have an accented yellow/orange ISO Enter key like the ANSI Enter included?

Seriously though, I'll definitely throw in another ISO enter if the demand is high enough. Otherwise got to keep the extras to a minimum.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 23:48:51 »
if it's massdrop I'm down
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Mr.Lunchbox

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 16:14:20 »

You may be right. KLE is a bit finicky for color accuracy. Although more of an amber would match the 1530, I went with the N6 because it seemed closer and is a dead ringer for the yellow on the first generation Compass. It would also avoid just reproducing the V2 on N9 from SkiData+.

More
Show Image

Looking at this photo

You were totally right with picking N6. Cheers. Carry on.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [IC] GMK AZiMUTH - Printing Poll Added
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 17:03:29 »
oh, that is much more yellow than orange. i forgot how inaccurate GMK renders are.

not to go against the spirit of this design, but i'm just gonna throw this out there... i think it might look better with V2 and N5 than N6 and UN6037
More

edit - nope, nvm. i already disagree with my statement
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2016, 17:05:54 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 20:40:50 »
Voted. Really excited about this one. Awesome looking set.

Offline quantrix

« Reply #50 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 18:10:19 »
Got any results from the poll?  :-\

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 17:49:32 »
So this is a total aside...

I didn't realize the computer was based on the Grid!

If anyone wants to watch a really great documentary (in general) and wants to hear the story behind the design of the Grid computer, you should all check out the (relatively old ~ 4-5 yrs) documentary titled "Objectified." It focuses on industrial design and they interview the designer of the Grid through the course of it!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 19:58:57 »
Wow! what a render.

Show Image

Seriously though, I'll definitely throw in another ISO enter if the demand is high enough. Otherwise got to keep the extras to a minimum.

@tintoret:

Any update on this? This set shall be produced.

A set like this deserves to be in any serious mechanical keyboard user and collector's collection, it will be like having a sample of one of the best examples of keyboard history, a keyboard serving as part of a high tech, for its era, computer system; by its colors alone, it would be one of the best looking key set that it is also very classy, that has just the right amount of orange and cyan highlights; just in case those attributes may not be enough, it will be manufactured by GMK, what else a keyboard lover could ask for in a set.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 May 2016, 20:04:37 by ideus »

Offline tintoret

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 21:31:43 »
Wow! what a render.

Show Image

@tintoret:

Any update on this? This set shall be produced.

A set like this deserves to be in any serious mechanical keyboard user and collector's collection, it will be like having a sample of one of the best examples of keyboard history, a keyboard serving as part of a high tech, for its era, computer system; by its colors alone, it would be one of the best looking key set that it is also very classy, that has just the right amount of orange and cyan highlights; just in case those attributes may not be enough, it will be manufactured by GMK, what else a keyboard lover could ask for in a set.

No updates yet, but I'll be getting back to it soon. It's great to hear the enthusiasm!

Offline Suruga Devil

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 07:37:36 »
In for one once the GB starts, subscribed  :thumb:

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 19:59:40 »

Same, would most likely be in for two.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 20:20:03 »

Same, would most likely be in for two.

That's the spirit.

Offline KyleZhuang

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 22:37:17 »
Maybe this will be my first GMK set. Cant wait to see it happens!
REALFORCE 104 Pro-30

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:02:29 »
I'm in, looks great!
I want to buy your ETF and Garbo Pusses. PM me

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:30:06 »
Some group buy leaders are hype masters, that are posting all the time, as if they were full time geekhackers; in the other hand, the GB leader for this set is just like you and me, a mech-keyboard enthusiast, that has had a brilliant idea: to make a GMK set after the famous Grid computer, that was a landmark in portable computers history. Do not be fooled, this thread is not bumped all the time, nor the OP is claiming to have fixed GMK molding process; this is not a colorful orange, neither a manly unicorn mix; but, this is a set that any serious mechanical keyboard aficionado deserves to have and use, imagine a sixty keyboard fully dressed with a piece of PC history; now, you would be able to type on a museum quality device, everyday...

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:32:43 by ideus »

Offline tintoret

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:49:57 »
Some group buy leaders are hype masters, that are posting all the time, as if they were full time geekhackers; in the other hand, the GB leader for this set is just like you and me, a mech-keyboard enthusiast, that has had a brilliant idea: to make a GMK set after the famous Grid computer, that was a landmark in portable computers history. Do not be fooled, this thread is not bumped all the time, nor the OP is claiming to have fixed GMK molding process; this is not a colorful orange, neither a manly unicorn mix; but, this is a set that any serious mechanical keyboard aficionado deserves to have and use, imagine a sixty keyboard fully dressed with a piece of PC history; now, you would be able to type on a museum quality device, everyday...

Show Image

Thanks! Yeah, I've been pretty busy with life, but I'm really excited to see if we can get this set to production. It has not been forgotten! For those asking about the poll, the results seem to be indecisively hovering around 50-50. I'd love to see a top printed set for aesthetic reasons, but I want to be sure that the legend quality will be up to par and I share everyone's ambivalence about the durability of pad printing. It would be a shame to put together a recreation set that doesn't last. So it's likely the set won't run until there is a stronger general impression about the quality of GMKs contemporary pad printing process. (Maybe after some feedback from the folks who picked up Royal Alpha?)

In the meantime I'd love to hear feedback about what requests people have for layout support, and any other thoughts on how to improve the set. Also, since this would be my first GB, it's likely it would need to go through a vendor, or with support from a more experienced GH member so that people feel more secure in participating.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 11:22:50 »

Show Image

Thanks! Yeah, I've been pretty busy with life, but I'm really excited to see if we can get this set to production. It has not been forgotten! For those asking about the poll, the results seem to be indecisively hovering around 50-50. I'd love to see a top printed set for aesthetic reasons, but I want to be sure that the legend quality will be up to par and I share everyone's ambivalence about the durability of pad printing. It would be a shame to put together a recreation set that doesn't last. So it's likely the set won't run until there is a stronger general impression about the quality of GMKs contemporary pad printing process. (Maybe after some feedback from the folks who picked up Royal Alpha?)

In the meantime I'd love to hear feedback about what requests people have for layout support, and any other thoughts on how to improve the set. Also, since this would be my first GB, it's likely it would need to go through a vendor, or with support from a more experienced GH member so that people feel more secure in participating.

Wise reasoning and mature arguments make for a good planning process for this set.

I also share the concerns on pad printing longevity; however, I found them unjustified, if GMK uses the same manufacturing processes Cherry used, the reliability of their pad printing is close to OG sets that seem to last forever. I suggest you to contact GMK and ask if the pad printing they are using is of similar quality to old Cherry sets.

Regarding layout, I suggest you to include a row 3 `~ key and a row 4 \| key that go with US layouts with ISO enter; the keys you are suggesting are redundant with other keys in the set and they may work only if the set had the rest of keys to support an European language, that is not the case, neither the set would be mix and match with any other set due to its special color, therefore, there is no reason to include but ANSI compatible keys that may allow any user to take advantage of the set with either ANSI or ISO Enter keys. I can elaborate on this argument further if you are interested, but think on this feature as having only two strategies, to include full UK ISO support, that is the closest to ANSI with ISO enter, or to use an NCR styled layout back in the days when all the sets had an ISO enter, their ANSI keyboards had the keys I suggested, along with the standard US layout, exactly as your design.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 20:26:28 »
Still hoping this will happen!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 20:47:09 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:18:41 by alienman82 »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 22:23:48 »
Wow, saw that keyboard before & really wanted the caps haha.

F'sure in for top print so it looks more like the OG.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 23:17:42 »
With white on black currently running, wouldn't this have more success as an add-on?

Needs bars, obviously.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 23:20:10 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:18:28 by alienman82 »

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 23:32:51 »
With white on black currently running, wouldn't this have more success as an add-on?

Needs bars, obviously.

There's no point imo, you'd only use ~15 alpha keys and that's it, making an add-on ~100+ keys anyway. So there's no point.

Also, soon...

+1 for top printed, there is a noticeable texture difference but the quality is outstanding and will last a very long time. I wasn't a fan of this set when I first saw it but it's really grown on me, I'll definitely try to participate if possible. :thumb:

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 09:04:57 »

Needs bars, obviously.

There's no point imo, you'd only use ~15 alpha keys and that's it, making an add-on ~100+ keys anyway. So there's no point.

Also, soon...

+1 for top printed, there is a noticeable texture difference but the quality is outstanding and will last a very long time. I wasn't a fan of this set when I first saw it but it's really grown on me, I'll definitely try to participate if possible. :thumb:

Will be surely successful then since it's mixing skidata and wob, which are highly sought after.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 09:06:26 »

Needs bars, obviously.

Also, soon...

Patiently waiting for the upcoming WoB.

Offline tintoret

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 09:07:32 »

Needs bars, obviously.

Also, soon...

The number of poll responses has been really encouraging. Top-printing is winning out, but the margin is pretty thin. I'm also really glad to hear that the folks with printed sets have been satisfied with the quality. As for an update, I've been caught up with some heavy research work and haven't had much time to put in, but I hope to pick things back up soon.

AZiMUTH has not been forgotten!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 09:11:02 »

Needs bars, obviously.

Also, soon...

The number of poll responses has been really encouraging. Top-printing is winning out, but the margin is pretty thin. I'm also really glad to hear that the folks with printed sets have been satisfied with the quality. As for an update, I've been caught up with some heavy research work and haven't had much time to put in, but I hope to pick things back up soon.

AZiMUTH has not been forgotten!

Glad to know about you, is there any chance you may add a 6u space bar? The base color is not exactly black; thus, while a black space bar would be mixed it would not match.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 12:46:56 »
Hi guys, I may be a bit late to the party here, but I'm hoping to chime in on the pad print discussion. I've got on hand a Dolch set (one of Ivan's GB) which has ISO-UK legends front-printed on some of the caps, and to compare, I've got ISO-UK Dolch cap from an actual Dolch Pac keyboard. Here's a quick comparison:

The quality of the printing is good, and the size/font of the printed legends is a perfect match with the actual double-shot legends, so I have good confidence in GMK's pad printing process. As far as the set go, I think pad-printing of the special legends would be a good way forward (I have taken another photo here if you want to have a better look but sorry for the potato quality photos: https://imgur.com/a/6xn4X)

As a side request, is it possible to have the ISO-UK legends printed onto the relevant caps (be it side-print or front-print)? I think it would fit with the overall theme (since quite a few keys already have sublegends) and it would boost the desirability of the set. I for one would be ecstatic if this was possible (basically 6 keys needs to be changed just like the way these Dolch caps were done). Full ISO doubleshot keys would be ideal really, but any accommodation to a full ISO-UK coverage would get an instant buy from me!

Let me know if this is possible without significantly affecting the set price.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 August 2016, 13:51:37 by duynguyenle »
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 13:56:20 »
Hi guys, I may be a bit late to the party here, but I'm hoping to chime in on the pad print discussion. I've got on hand a Dolch set (one of Ivan's GB) which has ISO-UK legends front-printed on some of the caps, and to compare, I've got ISO-UK Dolch cap from an actual Dolch Pac keyboard. Here's a quick comparison:
Show Image

The quality of the printing is good, and the size/font of the printed legends is a perfect match with the actual double-shot legends, so I have good confidence in GMK's pad printing process. As far as the set go, I think pad-printing of the special legends would be a good way forward (I have taken another photo here if you want to have a better look but sorry for the potato quality photos: https://imgur.com/a/6xn4X)

As a side request, is it possible to have the ISO-UK legends printed onto the relevant caps (be it side-print or front-print)? I think it would fit with the overall theme (since quite a few keys already have sublegends) and it would boost the desirability of the set. I for one would be ecstatic if this was possible (basically 6 keys needs to be changed just like the way these Dolch caps were done). Full ISO doubleshot keys would be ideal really, but any accommodation to a full ISO-UK coverage would get an instant buy from me!

Let me know if this is possible without significantly affecting the set price.

I think the set with side printed legends for the UK layout would rock; I just hope, it would not cost too much more because of the side printing.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 18:01:12 »

I think the set with side printed legends for the UK layout would rock; I just hope, it would not cost too much more because of the side printing.

Actually, come to think of it, it's probably possible to have the UK sublegends entirely top-print and not bother with front-print at all. The 2 and 3 number row keys doesn't have any top print sublegends as of the latest render, so those could have the UK printed legends (" and £ respectively), then the ANSI " ' key could carry the @ sublegend instead of the tilde it currently carries (redundant). The R3 # ' could carry the tilde sublegend, ANSI tilde key could carry the UK sublegend, and the split ISO 1u could carry the extra backslash legends.

Plz OP make this happen  ;D

Offline odd

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 18:38:11 »
Please make this happen. I want this soooooo bad  :p :p :p :p

Offline Hypocaffeinic

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 11:41:45 »
Voted for side printing, keep the less durable print out of wear's way. Really hope this goes ahead, the inspiration and renders both are fantastic.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 21:14:42 »
Just another gentle bump for my most anticipated keyset of 2016 (thanks to the wait it's quickly becoming my most anticipated keyset ever and I already went nutso on Round 5 years ago).

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 23:58:42 »
Looks muy bueno, will be picking one up if made available.

Offline baloo25

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 20:11:32 »
These would look great on my v60

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 15:36:56 »
hoping to see this set get in the 2017 cycle at GMK. so much garbage is already clogging the production pipeline...

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 04:03:56 »

Agreed.

Possibly the <> symbol?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 04:04:43 »
Voted for side printing, keep the less durable print out of wear's way. Really hope this goes ahead, the inspiration and renders both are fantastic.
+1

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 10:22:44 »

Duynguyenle's advice on Ivan's side printed legends is a great solution for the ISO-UK keys, that saves three keys in the set; also, it may allow the addition of US ANSI International sublegends covering the need of many international users if the choose to use an US ANSI layout.

I suggest the following alpha's side printed legends:

Here there are some samples of the keys with ISO-UK side printed legends, reported by duynguyenle:

Offline menuhin

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 19:07:17 »
Looks good and classy.
I'm in!
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 13:31:29 »
ooo I am interested in this set, lots of GMK GBs going around... But I'm all for keysets that pay homage to tech history  :thumb:

voted for top printed legends because I like the busy look, and the original aesthetics. But if pad-printing on top proves to be less durable, I don't think there are enough unique keysets with front-printing.

I would love to see grey function keys as well, completes the look.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 November 2016, 13:43:52 by dubious »

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 13:16:39 »
Hey Tintoret,

I ACTUALLY HAVE A GRiD 1530 with the Gas-Plasma Display that still works (and Battery still lasts 40 minutes). This is me playing Ultima 3 over the Turkey Day Holiday. Let me know if you need more detailed pictures or other items to get a perfect match.

Oh, as a Correction to your statement at the beginning of the post, these are NOT PAD-PRINTED LEGENDS. They are in fact, Triple-Shot. I can supply pictures to this effect if so desired.  Quality is GMK-level through and through with really thick full-shot ABS. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2016, 13:19:58 by childofthehorn »

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 13:48:33 »
Hey Tintoret,

I ACTUALLY HAVE A GRiD 1530 with the Gas-Plasma Display that still works (and Battery still lasts 40 minutes). This is me playing Ultima 3 over the Turkey Day Holiday. Let me know if you need more detailed pictures or other items to get a perfect match.

Show Image

Oh, as a Correction to your statement at the beginning of the post, these are NOT PAD-PRINTED LEGENDS. They are in fact, Triple-Shot. I can supply pictures to this effect if so desired.  Quality is GMK-level through and through with really thick full-shot ABS.

This is amazing, unfortunately GMK does not have the capacity to perform triple-shot keycaps (Tombery had conversations with them already about this).

In light of this, I would still want pad-print as a stopgap until GMK can do triple shot (if that ever happens...)

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 14:03:25 »
Only the bottom row should have Front pad-printed and the rest should be top-pad printed. That would be most accurate and look most cool overall since Cherry profile is already pretty short.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 14:44:13 »
Hey Tintoret,

Show Image

Wow, I think you should post some high quality pictures somewhere, maybe at the DT Wiki or somewhere like that for KB records to have a reference of a key set with triple shot legends.

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 16:02:13 »
Will try to get some pictures later tonight.

The Switches are pretty unique as well being a weirdly tactile Rubber dome + Click Leaf+ Spring+ Slider hybrid and they are STIFF. Its as heavy if not moreso than some older cherry Green board I have around, but extremely linear in its action (clicky though). The Spring under the Slider activates the Leaf which depresses the dome, so the actuation is in the midstroke and not at the bottom out.   

Current Colors for the Red (which is slightly pinkish) and Blue don't look totally accurate to what we have at home in the Grid, but will take some pictures with the DSLR later.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2016, 16:12:55 by childofthehorn »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 02:39:30 »
Hey Tintoret,

Show Image

Triple-Shot??!
Who was the maker?
So key cap making technology has recessed? Not only they are not able to make double-shot POM yet.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline menuhin

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 03:22:12 »
And please, definitely should post on DT wiki to put GMK and SP to shame.
Perhaps some Chinese manufacturer can do Triple-Shot in the future.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 06:38:32 »
Hey Tintoret,

Show Image

Triple-Shot??!
Who was the maker?
So key cap making technology has recessed? Not only they are not able to make double-shot POM yet.

Triple shot caps definitely exists, I used to have an old typewriter with triple shot caps. And no, technology hasn't regressed. Much the opposite. But remember, cost-benefit analysis is a thing. It's not cheap to make double shot keycaps, and doubly so for triple shot. That's why manufacturers don't usually bother these days and 90% of the stuff you see on keyboards is pad-print

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 09:18:36 »
Hey Tintoret,

Show Image

Triple-Shot??!
Who was the maker?

Triple shot caps definitely exists, I used to have an old typewriter with triple shot caps. And no, technology hasn't regressed. Much the opposite. But remember, cost-benefit analysis is a thing. It's not cheap to make double shot keycaps, and doubly so for triple shot. That's why manufacturers don't usually bother these days and 90% of the stuff you see on keyboards is pad-print

Each triple shot plastic component takes the costs, materials and labor required for three injection parts, plus the labor to mount the inner layer to mold the outer; furthermore, molds are more complex and their maintenance cost is higher than single shot moldsl. A triple shot part should be close to four times the cost of a single shot part. Add to it the fact that the market for such high cost key caps is very limited and what we have is a high cost product with almost no market, we all know that main stream keyboards have low cost keys.

Offline need

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 09:36:21 »
In order to do triple-shot, there's gonna to be an additional machine set up by the double-shot machine. This means doubling the existing tooling.

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 10:59:58 »
Hey, nice set! what about something like this for a international kit?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85609.0

Offline Trente

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 18:08:36 »
This color looks fantasic! Definitely in for on if GB available.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 21:50:03 »
waiting..
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 05:27:29 »

Show Image

Reminder everyone

someday....
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 13:10:13 »
i'm still here

Offline aggroxcraig

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 20:50:15 »
I'm 100% in love with how this set is looking right now.

Awesome job.

Offline need

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 06:31:42 »

Awesome job.
Last update was from May tho, so.....  :-[

Offline tintoret

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 11:53:12 »

Awesome job.
Last update was from May tho, so.....  :-[

Not abandoned or forgotten, but definitely on hold for the time being. I'm hoping to find some time to give this more attention, but I want to avoid organizing a buy half-assed because of other commitments.

Feedback is still very much welcome. As of right now, the results for the poll are 2/3 for top-printed and 1/3 for front-printed.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 12:18:30 »
That's fair, thanks for always keeping us in the loop whenever someone gets their AZiMUTH craving into high gear. Like mine is right now.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 12:29:42 »
can we update the colors to the current GMK palette? i think this will mean UN6037 --> TU2.

More

Offline menuhin

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 08:00:50 »

More
Show Image

Looking at this photo
Show Image

Is it just me?

The base color of caps on both photos looks not much like N9 but more like CR to me.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 12:44:31 »

More
Show Image

Looking at this photo
Show Image

Is it just me?

The base color of caps on both photos looks not much like N9 but more like CR to me.

actually, yeah. it does look like the base color is black in all the pictures. personally, i would like to see this done with N9 base, though.

Offline nemoy

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 08:58:14 »
This set looks great!

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 09:49:34 »
I need this. I Have never joined a GMK full set gb ever because I've been waiting for something like this.
If and when you do this my vote is top print and front print only for bottom row as someone else said earlier.

Offline Potatoes

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 08:09:35 »
I could use this in my life.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 10:52:53 »
+1
Also top printed all de wai bb

Offline reijikyosuke

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 07:18:13 »
+1 w/ Top printed is the only way that I want.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 12:59:14 »

More
Show Image

Looking at this photo
Show Image

Is it just me?

actually, yeah. it does look like the base color is black in all the pictures. personally, i would like to see this done with N9 base, though.

I like N9 too, goes with everything :)

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 01:42:52 »
another great set.. that will be lost to memory. 

not looking good my friends.
keyboards.

Offline tintoret

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 18:54:59 »

Let's hope not.

Offline le_wraith

Re: [IC] GMK AZiMUTH - Updates, Poll Results
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 18:59:59 »
I still want in on this. = )

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 19:19:13 »
I still want in on this. = )

Me too my fellow San Franciscan!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 19:52:00 »

Let's hope not.

Welcome back OP. I thought this was forgotten already.

Offline bkw1209

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 07:20:42 »
I still want it.

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 07:23:08 »
I want it SO BAD!

Offline tintoret

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 09:22:15 »

Let's hope not.

Welcome back OP. I thought this was forgotten already.

Good to be picking this up again. Part of the reason for the delay is that I don't have the experience or infrastructure to run this by myself, so I'm hoping to hear from people that have advice about running this through a vendor, or would like to work together to make this happen. I was initially worried about printing splitting interest, but the response for the set has been overwhelmingly positive so hopefully it can hit MOQ.

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 09:58:16 »
interested

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 10:41:54 »
The idea of pad printed legends was not that bad at some point. But now, I am sure I do not want any pad printed one, unless it is on the side, where it cannot wear off.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 12:47:29 »
The idea of pad printed legends was not that bad at some point. But now, I am sure I do not want any pad printed one, unless it is on the side, where it cannot wear off.

concur

Offline KnightDX

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:24:16 »
Will certainly be keeping an eye on this for a GB.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 12:10:42 »
any movement on this? i would love to see this get in the gmk lineup for 2017 before some of these other ICs that have been popping up

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 15:54:21 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 12:58:37 by alienman82 »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 16:27:58 »
any movement on this? i would love to see this get in the gmk lineup for 2017 before some of these other ICs that have been popping up

same here.  SO many GMK sets, but this is about the only one other than Forge that I want.

i mean... there is yuri, oblivion, nautilus, and laser already lined up but yeah, i would like to see azimuth and forge as well

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 02:14:04 »
I am still hopeful this set will eventually come to light

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 02:46:39 »
Really hope this will happen soon. I love this theme and design. :thumb:

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 13:47:35 »
ping for 2018 gb...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 15:13:33 »
The last post of the OP was back on March. It seems improbable this takes off any time soon.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 17:01:18 »
Maybe someone needs to take over.

Offline tintoret

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 22:02:27 »
The last post of the OP was back on March. It seems improbable this takes off any time soon.

For the record, I'm still around. I'm hesitant to move on this, in part because the aesthetic is pretty dependent on top secondary legends that could only be implemented through pad printing, which is generally unpopular, and in part because there has been a massive increase in the number of GMK sets run/proposed compared to when this project started, which is a hurdle in terms of meeting MOQ absent support from a vendor with better exposure and infrastructure. If there are any vendors interested, or if anyone has contacts that might be, I'd love to Take this forward. But it doesn't seem like something I could do individually.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 22:34:43 »

For the record, I'm still around. I'm hesitant to move on this, in part because the aesthetic is pretty dependent on top secondary legends that could only be implemented through pad printing, which is generally unpopular, and in part because there has been a massive increase in the number of GMK sets run/proposed compared to when this project started, which is a hurdle in terms of meeting MOQ absent support from a vendor with better exposure and infrastructure. If there are any vendors interested, or if anyone has contacts that might be, I'd love to Take this forward. But it doesn't seem like something I could do individually.

Facts are undisputed. I just hope somehow this can move forward, as it is a very special color way.

Offline Rodde

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 23:07:01 »
I understand why this was shelved, but I hope this makes it someday! Looks pretty unique.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 02:07:24 »

Bug Sherry. I bet he'd be interested.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline oisw

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 15:59:45 »
I'm at a loss for finding a set for my new board, came across this and would really love for it to live. Taking into account any downsides, I'm in if it gets going.

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 15:43:10 »
I want this set so bad! With these kickass renders you could generate enough hype on r/mk to put a vote on Massdrop. Make this happen!!!!!!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 15:46:24 »
omg i almost forgot about this. YES. please resurrect this project or pass it to someone who wants to see it done right

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 16:29:19 »
I want this set so bad! With these kickass renders you could generate enough hype on r/mk to put a vote on Massdrop. Make this happen!!!!!!

Massdrop? Bad idea, unless you live within ConUS

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 16:32:31 »

Yeah, but they are the most wide reaching and with 2 duds in a row, they'll want a good keyset in their queue

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 16:46:56 »

Yeah, but they are the most wide reaching and with 2 duds in a row, they'll want a good keyset in their queue

If it is the only way to make it happen, lets be it.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 19:43:21 »

Or maybe they will have 3 duds in a row. I don't see the point of keep giving them second chances like this. This feels like an abusive relationship.

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 20:08:06 »

Or maybe they will have 3 duds in a row. I don't see the point of keep giving them second chances like this. This feels like an abusive relationship.
It's because they get the most traffic. Most people aren't confident dropping $200 on a Google form, with a small keeb company that's seemingly run by one guy. Their GBs are always the largest

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 22:57:58 »

It's because they get the most traffic. Most people aren't confident dropping $200 on a Google form, with a small keeb company that's seemingly run by one guy. Their GBs are always the largest

The non-US communities really like it as well, since there are buyer protections and such

i know it's particularly popular in korea
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline reijikyosuke

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 10:07:12 »
necro-bumping (?)

I hope the IC still live enough to get the GB thread.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #148 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 12:55:27 »
necro-bumping (?)

I hope it too. It is doubtful though. The thread has not had any update in months so far.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 13:05:12 »
necro-bumping (?)

I hope it too. It is doubtful though. The thread has not had any update in months so far.

where is tintoret? last logged in Jan 30 2018. last update here was Sept 18 2017. if he's not back in 15 minutes we can legally take over the project

Offline dimo

« Reply #150 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 02:44:42 »
What happened to this project, this **** is rad

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 00:47:11 »
Also quite interested in seeing this happen.

Offline quanghuy1200

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 07:33:50 »
I am missing this project so much.  :(

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #153 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 07:39:01 »
why

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 09:14:51 »
I am missing this project so much.  :(
Me too man. This set can definitely be dyesubbed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #155 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 12:37:19 »
all these old threads gettin dug up

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 17:53:36 »
sure buy.
any GB progress update?

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 09:38:42 »
The thing that bugged me back in the day was the pad-print. Given JTK has done tripleshot, this would be a great candidate for it  :))

Offline tintoret

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 02 August 2019, 23:29:45 »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 00:22:53 »
YESSSS

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #160 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 01:14:42 »
I like it, but I'm not so sure about the F Row.

And a suggestion, I would consider having the sub legends side printed as a lot of people would be pretty upset about it being worn down.

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #161 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 07:42:07 »
Amazing to potentially see this project come back!

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 07:43:39 »
Wow I genuinely love this.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #163 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 11:46:42 »
Hoping!

Offline tintoret

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 19:58:17 »

And a suggestion, I would consider having the sub legends side printed as a lot of people would be pretty upset about it being worn down.

The f row and top legends will likely stay as is to keep the design true to the original, but the plan is to see if triple shot is possible or else to go with high-quality printing.

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 21:10:58 »

The f row and top legends will likely stay as is to keep the design true to the original, but the plan is to see if triple shot is possible or else to go with high-quality printing.
Stay with your original design. This set is a piece of art, don't compromise! So glad to see this set come back online!!!!

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 21:15:33 »

In case you were not aware JTK does triple shot but I am all for you getting GMK to finally do triple shot.

Offline yap68

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 23:35:41 »
F row is all good, definitely need no changes.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 23:52:36 »

i concur. stick to the original design. you may consider expanding the compat though
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 August 2019, 23:54:39 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 04 August 2019, 14:44:26 »

JTK has produced a triple shot key set; they may be interested in producing this design as well. Not sure about the cost of new sublegends molds though.
https://en.zfrontier.com/collections/jtk/products/jtk-tscc

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 04 August 2019, 17:57:54 »

JTK has produced a triple shot key set; they may be interested in producing this design as well. Not sure about the cost of new sublegends molds though.
https://en.zfrontier.com/collections/jtk/products/jtk-tscc

if it's not GMK i'm out

Offline autobot

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 08:37:03 »
I'd love to see JTK attempt this, triple shot would be amazing!

If JTK is smart with their tooling, they could have the sublegends be modular, meaning the sublegends can be arranged for any key cap of the same row/profile.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 August 2019, 08:38:54 by autobot »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 15:58:00 »
I'd love to see JTK attempt this, triple shot would be amazing!

If JTK is smart with their tooling, they could have the sublegends be modular, meaning the sublegends can be arranged for any key cap of the same row/profile.
Besides, JTK's pricing is awesome. Haven't tried them yet, so this would be an good opportunity to do it, with a really nice set, not the usual boring colors.

Offline Starston3

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 18:34:01 »
I dig this, be it JTK or GMK

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 21:34:36 »
sorry to be reviving a dead thread. but I still want to see this happen!

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 21:50:28 »
You might want to check this out https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114662.0

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 08:02:52 »
You might want to check this out https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114662.0

I did! Which reminded me of this set since I like the colors on this a bit more.