Author Topic: M3501 AEK ii fault - suggestions welcome  (Read 1485 times)

Offline 125ml

M3501 AEK ii fault - suggestions welcome
« on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 06:06:33 »
Hi,

Just got my 'new' keyboard through from eBay. An Apple Extended Keyboard ii, M3501 with white ALPS (not the best of the breed, but I'm happy).
I'm doing the ADB-USB mod using the vast amount of expertise already donated by the members of this forum, but seem to have run into an issue.
I don't think its an issue with the controller (Adafruit ATmega32u4 USB breakout board) or the software. I think its with the keyboard.

When I supply VCC (5v) and GND to the keyboard, the 3 LEDS flash once then go dark.
I would expect that Caps Lock, Scroll lock or Num lock would come on when corresponding key is pressed, even if the data line isn't connected, but nothing.
Is that what I should expect, or does it need the data line connected?

I'm thinking that there is something up with the keyboard.

Has someone come across this type of problem before and if so, was there a fix?

Alternatively, are there any pointers for fault finding on an AEK2?

Thanks very much in advance!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Re: M3501 AEK ii fault - suggestions welcome
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 08:50:54 »
When I supply VCC (5v) and GND to the keyboard, the 3 LEDS flash once then go dark.
I would expect that Caps Lock, Scroll lock or Num lock would come on when corresponding key is pressed, even if the data line isn't connected, but nothing.
Is that what I should expect, or does it need the data line connected?

LEDs of ADB keyboard are controlled by host computer like PS/2 and USB keyboard. You need to connect data line.

Offline 125ml

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 09:51:38 »
hasu....... Fantastic!!!

Thanks for that.
Means the keyboard may be fine, phew.

I'll solder up the data and pwr button lines and play with the code to see if I can get it working.
Will let you know if it works.

Offline 125ml

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 16:26:18 »
I'm still having some issues with registering key presses that I suspect is with the port and chip that I am using. I've posted onto the main ADB - USB converter chain to keep it in one place.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14290.0

Thanks