Author Topic: Making a small footprint keyboard  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Lumune

Making a small footprint keyboard
« on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 16:58:38 »
Personally, I really dislike bulky keyboards, so I was really looking forward to the Miniguru. Unfortunately, the production of Miniguru has been canceled, so I have decided to try to make one myself.

Update 2010-10-16:

i have managed to  make the first prototype (okay... technically the second prototype, the first one is a bunch of push buttons on a breadboard....).
I am using it to type this update, and here is a picture of it:

I am saving my blue cherries for the final build, so this one is made with black cherries.

I haven't made a pcb yet, so it is just switches attach to a metal plate with diodes and hook-up wires as connections.
That means it also doesn't have the exact layout that I want, but it's close enough as a prototype.

It supports both momentary and toggle function keys, momentary function keys have to exist on all layers, but toggle keys could be embedded on any layers.
Thus, I could have only 1 momentary function key on base layer, and all the other toggle function keys on that momentary-function-key's layer.

I have only tried it with 5 + base layers, but if I have calculated correctly, it should be able to support a few more.

Now I know that the software actually works, I could start working on the pcb, case, macro support and more optimization. Wooho~~ :bounce:

==========================================================
Original:

While I am waiting for some components to come, I have started drawing the pcb. And I have been following the measurement below for spacing between the keys

Although the actual calculated measurements seem a bit weird (eg. the distance between the left shift and Z is 39/32 inch), I am guessing it's correct since all the rows line up at the end. (Please let me know if this is wrong.)

But what I am having trouble with, is that I could not find any place on the web regarding to the measurements of the stabilizers and how to calculate the length of the stabilizer relative to the size of the key and where I could buy them. :(

Could someone point me to the right direction, please?
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 October 2010, 23:00:31 by Lumune »