Author Topic: What is your WPM?  (Read 128678 times)

Offline cwang1004

Re: What is your WPM?
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 20:00:01 »
Averaging 95 on 10fastfingers
Realforce 87U Variable
HHKB Professional 2 Type-S

Leopold FC660M w/ brown
Filcos TKL w/ brown, clear.
KMAC2 87 w/ clear
KMAC1.2 87 w/ blue.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #201 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 20:02:37 »
I've dropped to 133 on ergo-clears mostly due to mistakes..

I cant even comprehend how you can type that fast XD

I do around 80-90 which I'm happy with for the time being.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #202 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 22:22:47 »
I'm actually curious to know how fast people type using improper technique..

You see a lot of people not typing with their pinky (So like 3 fingers and thumb) or funky things like index finger on the spacebar, etc, etc.  It would be far more interesting to see how fast people can actually get like that.   

Offline webs0r

« Reply #203 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 22:26:01 »
I'm about 85-90 using improper technique. Or at least, I'm not sure if I'm using the right technique, just grew into it organically from being on the computer all the time.
Filco Ninja TKL Browns | Leopold FC700R Graphite Reds | Matias Quiet Pro | Topre Realforce 10th Anniversary Constant-55g | Vortex RACE Reds | CM Storm Quickfire Pro Blues | CODE keyboard Clears

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #204 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 22:49:57 »
This sucks lol. I'm averaging 125 wpm (that's a 11~ wpm drop for me) on ergo clears (I'm new to them, trying them out and sticking to them for about a month or until I ragequit). I'm just so frustrated right now because my WPM is fine, I'm just making a bunch of silly mistakes like double tapping keys and what not... :( I've gotten like a 138 wpm with 12 wrong words through a rage-sprint.
I love Elzy

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #205 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 00:22:15 »

You see a lot of people not typing with their pinky (So like 3 fingers and thumb) or funky things like index finger on the spacebar, etc, etc.  It would be far more interesting to see how fast people can actually get like that.   
Improper typing technique is not neccessarily bad, especially on QWERTY, because QWERTY is inefficient. People somehow "fix it" this way. (See Sean Wrona.)

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #206 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 00:40:23 »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #207 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 01:36:42 »

Improper typing technique is not neccessarily bad, especially on QWERTY, because QWERTY is inefficient. People somehow "fix it" this way. (See Sean Wrona.)

Right..I'm saying I'm interested to see what speeds people are getting...  I'm aware of Sean Wrona and I've seen quite a few others type in a similar fashion and that seems to work great for them.  Not that I'm interested in changing my technique but I do think it is interesting. 

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #208 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 04:41:23 »
Recently broke 70, but without a special effort probably under 60.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #209 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 05:15:23 »
I don't know, really. On typing tests I'll get 45-70, but I get easily confused when I'm being told what to type.
When I'm just writing something, like this, I'll type a bit quicker once I get into it. I think I might make a few more mistakes on reds than on other switches due to the fact that they're so light and I'll often rest fingers on characters that come later in the word and accidentally press them. That doesn't happen all that much on browns and very rarely on blues. I also notice that I should probably train myself to type properly, although it's not that important since I don't do significant amounts of typing at the moment.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #210 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 12:39:04 »
10FF isn't accurate but it's fun and helps boost your ego :D

48 :(

I don't feel so bad hitting 82.

For me, wpm isn't that massively critical.  I'm a Unix admin so my typing is in spurts and then I look at output.  Even for developing scripts, I'm stopping to go over what I've put in and making changes.

Offline bace

« Reply #211 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:56:12 »
I'm usually around 40-80... depending if there are any symbols or numbers lol
[Current] : Maxkeyboard NightHawk x8 ; Topre Realforce 103UB 55g ; Topre TypeHeaven

[Past] : Noppoo Choc Mini ; Das Keyboard Pro ; Filco Majestouch 2 Linear R Black Ninja 104 ; White Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 104 ; Plu ML-87

Logitech G500

Offline precarious

« Reply #212 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 23:36:51 »
I'm actually curious to know how fast people type using improper technique.

They don't.

This isn't set in stone, of course, but it's mostly accurate.

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2012, 23:45:32 by precarious »

Offline daniel0731ex

« Reply #213 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 23:44:08 »
60-ish, but I get 100% accuracy.
"I hated the Blackwidow. Hated, hated, hated, hated, hated the Blackwidow. Hated it. Hated every cheapening feeble useless user-insulting gimmicks of it. Hated the keycap font that thought anyone would like it. Hated the marketing pretense to the keyboard by its belief that anyone would be impressed by it."

Roger Exbert - The Number One Keyboard Critic On The Planet.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #214 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 23:57:35 »
On typeracer I'm at about 80 now if I'm using one of my favorite boards. I REALLY wanna get faster but I don't think I can.... I see insane speeds on the high scores like 150-160 WPM.... seems impossible to me
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 December 2012, 00:01:16 by Flip »
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline bace

« Reply #215 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 10:00:34 »

They don't.

Show Image

my friend types at around ~120-130 WPM. On his left hand he uses is index, middle, and ring finger and on his right hand he only uses his index and middle finger. and thumb for space bar ofcourse.
[Current] : Maxkeyboard NightHawk x8 ; Topre Realforce 103UB 55g ; Topre TypeHeaven

[Past] : Noppoo Choc Mini ; Das Keyboard Pro ; Filco Majestouch 2 Linear R Black Ninja 104 ; White Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 104 ; Plu ML-87

Logitech G500

Offline remmeh

« Reply #216 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 11:44:33 »
on typeracer:

100-110 (ergo clear)
90-100 (reds because of typos :( )

Offline Polymer

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 17:54:35 »

They don't.

Show Image

They do if you're talking about formal typing lessons...I'm not saying people do not have the ability to type fast in whatever way works best for them..but going against the conventional "taught" method is quite interesting to see...

Another way to put it is...a technique that is something that can not really be taught or replicated..for example, Sean Wrona's technique I doubt you could teach that to someone else as there are no set rules in places...Maybe you could but would take so much longer than teaching them with the establish "proper" way. 

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 17:59:47 »
"The proper technique" is somewhat universal, and quite efficient with optimized layouts (Dvorak, Colemak). The thing with "improper" fingering (duh) is that some di-/trigraphs/words are more efficient that way.

Offline Lorem-Ipsum

• (╯°□°)╯︵ɯnsdı-ɯǝɹoן
    • mattwall.co.uk/
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 18:50:34 »
Well I've been practising a bit although still using an improper technique and am now getting in the region of 65-70 WPM. I really need to force myself to start using the proper technique.
Currently Using: Corsair K65 (MX Reds)
Own: IBM Model M | Logitech Illuminated | Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Blues) [Waiting for Toxic] | Cherry D-91275

"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

Offline nar

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 19:21:41 »
my friend types at around ~120-130 WPM. On his left hand he uses is index, middle, and ring finger and on his right hand he only uses his index and middle finger. and thumb for space bar ofcourse.

I'm similar, except I type with an even weirder combination using my left pinky and right ring finger but I use my right index for space bar. It's because I keep my keyboard off center and have my mouse directly on top of my keyboard on the desk while the keyboard is in the tray.

Actually, here's me typing about 120 WPM that I posted here at the start of the year:
feature=g-upl
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:13:03 »
When it gets cold in the house, my WPM drops to like 50-60 o_0
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline linuxid10t

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 22:34:44 »
I normally get ~65 on my HP laptop or cheap membrane keyboard.  With my friend's QuickFire Pro with MX Brown, I was doing closer to 80...

Offline Jack

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 23:16:13 »
Some results from just now on G80-11900LUMEU, Cherry blacks:

http://db.jack.is/pub/images/typing/typeracer.jpg

http://db.jack.is/pub/images/typing/tenfast.jpg

Tried to do a long test on hi-games.net, but there's some odd thing going on where using Dvorak there works fine except that ; and ' end up there as q and z instead in some freakish hybrid layout. I don't have time to screw with it right now.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 06:27:00 »
I'm getting between 80 and 90 with these tests. But my accuracy is atrocious (~90%).
Back before I got a job, I actually had my typing speed certified. They had some interesting rules. The primary rule being, anything less than 99% accuracy is not a valid speed. I'm no longer certain, but I seem to recall that backspacing wasn't allowed either. Finally, words were a set number of characters, not actual words. That way 'of' 'a' and other short words don't count a single word each. At the time, my certified speed was 69 wpm.

There is quite a bit of logic to this. The more errors you make, the more time you will need to spend re-writing the same section of text, whether it's immediately with the aid of backspace, or later on as an actual editing process.

I rarely type long paragraphs, and I definitely don't type from written text anymore. As a result my speed and my accuracy have both dropped over the last 6 years. I strongly doubt that the speeds being recorded by these tests follow the same rules.

Ultimately, if I'm composing something, such as an email, I only need to type as quickly as I can think, which is about my average speed anyway. I'd like to type faster, but it serves little benefit. I've recently discovered that slowing down and thinking my sentences through, enforced by handwriting speed, actually results in better language. If I type straight from my thoughts, I end up with a less flowing, less well written text.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #225 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 07:17:44 »
That sounds like the type of test you had when you actually learned on a typewriter...

All your mistakes counted, you couldn't actually backspace because it wasn't possible....you counted actual words...

I think nowadays they all use some sort of formula (I think one site used 5 characters = 1 word) and of course backspacing is allowed...it isn't realistic if you can't correct a mistake (which slows you down of course). 

It really doesn't matter how fast you type as long as it is fast enough to do what you need to do...

That said..I don't considering hen pecking and staring at the keyboard doing 20wpm to be "fast enough"...but anyone doing 45-60+ in whatever style they want is probably good enough for most...

Offline jspark

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 08:33:35 »
My WPM depends on keyboards; more specifically, key switches. With MX Black, my WPM is above 90, and 80 something with Blue. I'm not sure this is accurate or not. I got this results from 10fastfingers.
KBC Poker X Cherry MX Black switch
Filco Majestouch2 Ninja Cherry MX Blue switch
IBM Model M 1391401 in 1988

Offline precarious

« Reply #227 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 19:01:52 »

They don't.

Show Image

They do if you're talking about formal typing lessons...I'm not saying people do not have the ability to type fast in whatever way works best for them..but going against the conventional "taught" method is quite interesting to see...

Another way to put it is...a technique that is something that can not really be taught or replicated..for example, Sean Wrona's technique I doubt you could teach that to someone else as there are no set rules in places...Maybe you could but would take so much longer than teaching them with the establish "proper" way. 

Well, Sean sent me a message saying that may have been his fastest loss ever back when that happened, so, I really don't know what else to say other than proper technique is using all of your fingers to type, not only some of them.  As previously mentioned, this is not set in stone, but certainly neither of us are  typing "cats" with two fingers.

The only real "technique" for maximizing speed is reading ahead and unconsciously positioning your fingers/hands/arms/body in a way which affords maximum fluidity and efficiency relative to the upcoming content, as opposed to telling yourself you need necessarily press a certain key with a certain finger.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 December 2012, 19:03:41 by precarious »

Offline Calade

« Reply #228 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 14:25:50 »
Got 105 on first try from that test. On "one random word after another" tests I get like 120-130.

Offline gizmo

« Reply #229 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 16:48:05 »
107 is my average on Type Racer (GH gizmo).

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 21:50:09 »
i am in dilemma to use the most standard way to type or my most comfortable way. Both have their pros and cons. 

Offline gizmo

« Reply #231 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 08:33:10 »
i am in dilemma to use the most standard way to type or my most comfortable way. Both have their pros and cons. 

Function over form any day.  Note that function ought not result in grievous damage in the long term (i.e. keeping palms elevated and such...you do not want nerve problems).

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #232 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 09:17:41 »
Hm..i feels i suffers damage faster with my palms elevated.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 17:39:34 »
I usually get about 30 to 40 words/minute when I type.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Terrorsathan

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 14:49:29 »
I'm typing on my QFR w/ blues and .2mm 50a o rings... 

I've had the orings on for about a week now.

This is the part that kinda blows my mind... before I installed the o rings I was averaging about 60-64wpm... with about a week on the o rings I average 80-84wpm...

Anyone else see similar results with orings?

* WPM tested with the test in the OP

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #235 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 22:41:07 »
I did a bit worse with o-rings I found. Ended up not using them because I didn't enjoy the feel.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 11:23:42 »
I can go 95-100wpm with a few errors on uncommon characters like hyphens.

Offline Etnie

« Reply #237 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 07:31:59 »
100 on average, 120 is my maximum and I've only been using Rubber Dome keyboards. Waiting for my Noppoo to arrive  ;)

Offline lowkey

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 14:01:13 »

Strict home row touch-typing with QWERTY.

Quickfire with browns, no o-rings, and I bottom out hard.

Second one is a bit more accurate.

Offline Phil21

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 01 January 2013, 20:32:26 »
I average about 100wpm on typeracer lately.  My accuracy is horrible though, which slows me down quite a bit.  I don't type in the "correct" fashion - in fact, my left pinky I never even use while typing for some reason.  I think it's due to having surgery on it, and the nerve past the first knuckle is dead - so I can't feel my fingertip there.

When I happen to get "lucky" and get 100% accuracy, my rate goes up into the 120-130ish range.  I've become extremely fast at hitting backspace :)

Sustained typing in "brain dump" fashion usually results in a bit faster typing, probably around 110wpm over long periods of time.  The dictation slows me down quite a bit since I find myself "thinking" about where my fingers are.

Practice really does help.  A year ago, my speed was around 70-80wpm on typeracer.  I am also extremely keyboard dependent due to not touch typing.  I have to get used to a board layout before I can get anything near these speeds.  Sitting down at someones workstation to do some quick work usually is lot of frustration for me.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 02 January 2013, 12:47:05 »
I'm currently on a dome keyboard and it's around 78wps. I'll update this when my Otaku keyboard arrives.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #241 on: Wed, 02 January 2013, 13:37:00 »
78 wps? Good for you.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #242 on: Wed, 02 January 2013, 13:51:17 »
78 wps? Good for you.

What's a reputable website to test one's WPM? Some websites such as 10fastfingers.com don't seem to provide a good real-world example of WPS since the user is only tested on words instead of entire sentences.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 02 January 2013, 13:57:33 »
78 wps? Good for you.

What's a reputable website to test one's WPM? Some websites such as 10fastfingers.com don't seem to provide a good real-world example of WPS since the user is only tested on words instead of entire sentences.

type racer seems to be the most popular. You type some quotes from books or songs, so it's more realist.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 02 January 2013, 14:00:46 »
78 wps? Good for you.

Ummm... If you type 78 words per second, you don't need any test, you're already approaching the Chuck Norris level.

Anyway, I recommend hi-games.net and keyhero.com.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 02 January 2013, 14:15:09 »
I am just over 40 wpm. That sucks, but I have been typing with 2 fingers for the last 15 years. My problem is the I got used to 2 finger type because it was more natural when gaming. Also, I type in french most of the time and the accents are annying to type.

But since I got my first mechanical keyboad, I took the resolution to force myself to relearn to touch type.

I already went from 50 wpm with 2 finger, to 20-30 with touch type to around 40 now. Can't wait to see what it will be in a year.

I also never used a palm rest before, probably because I felt it was unnecessary while typing with 2 fingers. Now that I start to type with all my finges, I start to understand why people love them.

I will wait to see if I really need one for a few months. These wooden ones looks great :) ...
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline keymaster

« Reply #246 on: Wed, 02 January 2013, 14:48:41 »
78 wps? Good for you.

Ummm... If you type 78 words per second, you don't need any test, you're already approaching the Chuck Norris level.

Anyway, I recommend hi-games.net and keyhero.com.

Thanks for the links. I really like keyhero.

It seems I average in the 80s while typing casually and peak around 100WPM when I'm in the zone. :)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #247 on: Wed, 02 January 2013, 16:05:32 »
Did a bit more testing the other night and I seem to be a bit faster on the Ergo 4000 than on my Model M.  Probably because I've been using the MS ergo keyboards for so long both at work and home that I'm used to the shape.  It took me a bit to get up to speed on the M but I managed to peak both out at 88wpm.

I must admit, I really haven't tried to type for speed in at least 10 years as my job (Unix engineer/admin) doesn't really have a strong necessity of fast typing.  Even when doing some programming or scripting, I'm usually thinking through how I'm going to do things.

I'll have to wait on getting my MX red keyboard, though.  Surprise expenses popped up that I've got to take care of first.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 02 January 2013, 16:26:03 »
For typing words that are on a screen and not thinking about what I'm going to write: 60-70 WPM consistently, sometimes 80, very rarely 90.

For thinking out what I'm going to say and typing it out, maybe 50 WPM just because I have to think about what I'm going to type. If I already thought about it, then I can match the above, but just barely.

(I'm also pretty even on my laptop keyboard compared to my Leopold...wonder why)
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Terrorsathan

« Reply #249 on: Wed, 02 January 2013, 16:44:35 »
I installed o rings on my mx blues about 2 weeks ago, and have gained about 10-12 WPM on average just from the orings.  I wasn't expecting that. I just wanted the orings for a quieter/shorter keystroke