Author Topic: Instant message feature  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Rafen

Instant message feature
« on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 20:33:42 »
I think it would be nice if somehow we could incorporate and instant message feature in the forum. There have been times where I wanted to talk to someone about something they posted whether it was a keyboard or a how-to and need some information. The message feature that we have is fine if you only have to send one message but taking several days and sending multiple messages is a pain and I think that it could be made easier with this feature. Let me know what you guys think and if this can be done or not.

Thanks,
Rafen

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: Instant message feature
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 09:55:17 »
i'm hesitant to roll features into our forum software that are done better elsewhere and easily linkable from profiles. IM, for example, is generally better done via the popular IM suites, and we have profile linkage for a few of those. if there's a more commonly used IM suite that our profile fields don't cover though, that in fact everyone uses, i would be happy to add the field (tis quite easy).

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 10:09:18 »
There should be a GeeHack IRC channel. A lot of forums have one and it's really useful for a quick question. Get everyone to idle on the channel and before you know it, the channel will be as active as the forum. :p

I vote irc.geekshed.net #geehack

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=geekhack

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 10:25:29 »
Yeah we already have the irc channel on freenode, though most of the people who hang out there don't post much on the forum.  I would love to see more GH regulars in there.

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 10:31:27 »
I was there once, but I didn't set it up again when I reinstalled my distribution.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 10:45:31 »
And look up there in the top menu bar^^^ an IRC link.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline asdf

• Tuesday, 11 November 2008, 20:17:05
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 10:46:50 »
rofl how did I miss that link