Author Topic: 105g springs?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline JoeUser

• If you're a geek you use mechanical. Period.
105g springs?
« on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 03:55:41 »
So after trying to take off my metal (zinc) "Escape" key the other night I accidentally pulled the actual stem out of the housing (the blue part). Then I saw it...the spring on the inside. This made me think..."Instead of having to unsolder your Blue switches then having to find Green switches with green LED's then soldering those in why not just replace the spring?".

See, the thing is that I want to replace the MX Blues in my KBT Pure with Greens on certain keys like the backspace, Enter, Caps Lock, etc. The biggest problem with this is of course all the work that would have to go into doing so and more importantly actually finding MX Green switches with built in green LED's (which is the color LED my keyboard uses). So basically and impossible task.

So why not replace the spring? Problem is that I can't seem to find 105g springs for MX switches ANYWHERE. Not even on websites that sell springs for MX switches.

Secondly, is this even possible? I've been reading that the only way to change this spring is the desolder to the switch, but honestly I don't mind using a little force and removing the stem the improper way. The ones that did come off (happened also with the metal backspace key I have) popped back it without a problem and work fine.

Also don't have the dough or experience really to buy a MX Green switch keyboard and remove the switches, etc, etc.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Currently using an old school Laser keyboard. Double shots with SMK's. $2 at the thrift store!

My HEATWARE 76-0-0

Offline JoeUser

Re: 105g springs?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 03:58:42 »
Well, right after posting the above I guess I could just always see about buying any Green switches and just taking the springs from them...huh?

Guess I gotta find Green switches now...

After some looking around it would appear that the "Grey" and "White" switches have the same actuation pressure springs as the MX Greens...so that broadens it quite a bit. Also looking at these "Super Blacks" with ~153g of force.

Hmmm...
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2013, 04:09:40 by JoeUser »
Currently using an old school Laser keyboard. Double shots with SMK's. $2 at the thrift store!

My HEATWARE 76-0-0

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 04:40:22 »
AFAIK, Greens have the same springs as Blacks. You could try to buy some of those, which may be fairly easy, I would imagine. LEDs are not built into the switch, they're two separate parts. You would technically only need to buy the switches. But you don't need to do that even.

There are two things you can do: one is the desolder all of the LEDs to be able to open up the housings to swap the springs with Black springs, creating Ghetto Greens, or heavier if you want and can find them. Or, you can modify the housings to be able to bypass the LEDs. With so many, your best bet would probably be a Dremel, but I did it to one switch with a pair of those cuticle/nail cutters.

Offline JoeUser

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 06:22:42 »
Greens are 80g and Blacks are 65g from what I know. Also everything you said is way too much work. I'm thinking that a forcefully pulled off stem is a lot easier than all that. Might be damaging, but unless I mess up majorly I don't see how. They appear to just pop off with enough force and snap back on. Like I said, happened with two keys and I haven't had any issues.

Goodness...I just wanna replace some springs...things always gotta be difficult! :confused:

My HEATWARE 76-0-0

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 07:49:53 »
Greens are 80g and Blacks are 65g from what I know. Also everything you said is way too much work. I'm thinking that a forcefully pulled off stem is a lot easier than all that. Might be damaging, but unless I mess up majorly I don't see how. They appear to just pop off with enough force and snap back on. Like I said, happened with two keys and I haven't had any issues.

Goodness...I just wanna replace some springs...things always gotta be difficult! :confused:

Different Actuation forces =/= Different springs except on switches with the same stem type (linear, tactile, clicky).

Greens are tactile and clicky, whereas Blacks are linear. Blacks, by their nature, aren't going to have as much of an actuation force as Greens even though they use the same spring (At least they look the same.)
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 08:25:31 »

Can you take an up close picture of some? Also, do it if you want, but you risk ruining things. If you ruin a switch or LED, you're going to need to desolder and solder anyway. If you rip the traces from your PCB, well... But good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Offline jabar

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 08:37:33 »
Yall need to look at the available resources before stating Green springs = Black springs.

They don't.

http://imgur.com/a/RJqM4
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 08:41:25 »
Yall need to look at the available resources before stating Green springs = Black springs.

They don't.

http://imgur.com/a/RJqM4
Different Actuation forces =/= Different springs except on switches with the same stem type (linear, tactile, clicky).

Greens are tactile and clicky, whereas Blacks are linear. Blacks, by their nature, aren't going to have as much of an actuation force as Greens even though they use the same spring (At least they look the same.)

Also, if YOU would read the whole thing, http://imgur.com/a/RJqM4#23
CONCLUSIONS: - you CAN swap Blue/Red/Brown springs into switches with similar effect for "Ergo Clears = Clears with Blue/Brown/Red Spring" for example. - you CAN swap Blacks/White springs to make "Ghetto Greens = Cherry Blues with Black/White springs" - or CLOSE to it. - KEYBOARD SCIENCE RULEZ!
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2013, 08:46:27 by esoomenona »

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 10:01:06 »
I wasn't able to feel the difference between real greens and ghetto greens.
Green springs and black springs are VERY close.

Offline remedyhalopc

105g springs?
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 11:05:29 »
I disagree. Greens feel much better and heavier than ghetto greens.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 11:45:04 »
Look, to each his own, but if you look at the album and compare the Black and Green springs, they LOOK identical, and in case you didn't notice:

(At least they look the same.)
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 12:03:38 »
Has anyone tried green springs in clear stems for a super heavy tactile but not clicky key?  what would they be called?  anti-ergo clears?
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 12:07:48 »
Clear springs are heavier than Green springs, so you would be going down on the spectrum.

Putting Green/Black springs into a Clear are called Panda Clears, from what I hear. And yes, people have tried them. I will be trying them soon, as a matter of fact.