Author Topic: '88 black label model m mini  (Read 2267 times)

Offline bigpook

'88 black label model m mini
« on: Mon, 27 April 2009, 18:18:45 »
I just got this today and wanted to show it.

Its NIB which is awesome for me.

The picture doesn't do this justice but it the plastic has this luster to it that is really nice on the eyes.

date of birth

I put this one back in the box as I want to preserve it. I feel fortunate to be able to get these as they don't pop up so often. I have gotten used ones and in one instance that turned out real well, but had gotten a used one that was fairly beaten up. I didn't think I would ever get a NIB one though. This is my second and it really made my day.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline ozar

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 April 2009, 18:37:28 »
It's definitely a real beauty, bigpook!

Congrats on the purchase.  :cool:

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 April 2009, 18:37:49 »
Quote from: ripster;87610
Wow, that's nice.   My box looks like it had been stomped on a few times.

You also know the backstory so now you should head over and get on that "Antiques Roadshow" TV show.

http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=87203&postcount=41

- Ripster

P.S.  He has another unopened one he says he'll be putting up for sale....

Show Image

It's SHARP ELBOWS time.

I need to print that link out and put it in the box. The back story makes the purchase that much less anonymous. To think this guy had four of them all this time, just sitting there. I actually spoke with George over the phone some time last week. It was an enjoyable conversation. I told him about geekhack and he ends up posting here. I thought that was really neat.

I need to ask him about that other unopened one.
Sharp elbow time indeed. : )

Offline bigpook

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 April 2009, 18:42:02 »
Quote from: webwit;87612
Great buy! I guess an '88 NIB is pretty hard to find. Although now I say that I'm also surprised by the seemingly never ending supply of NIB Space Savers. At some point, it should slow down, shouldn't it?

cool, though I don't know about seemingly endless supply. I wish.

I would be curious to find out how many of the mini's were actually made.

This particular fellow was doing someone a favor and putting up some stuff on ebay, almost like an estate sale. I don't have any idea how often something like that will happen again.

More likely, someone would take one look at 4 boxed keyboards and haul them off to the trash. The seller actually had a clue as to what he had in this case. Which is a good thing for sure.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 April 2009, 18:43:39 »
Quote from: ozar;87614
It's definitely a real beauty, bigpook!

Congrats on the purchase.  :cool:

thanks man, I am just about beside myself that I got it.
I REALLY like model m mini's.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 April 2009, 18:49:13 »
Quote from: webwit;87618
You're not alone ;) Although I managed to put a stop to it. For now.

no doubt. I just looked at your sig and you have quite the model m collection going on there. way to go webwit.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 April 2009, 19:14:57 »
Quote from: webwit;87622
I got my most prestigious Space Saver by accident. Maybe some of you remember the post in the ebay section, about a Space Saver that wasn't posted in the keyboard section, but rather in the computer section where it was offered with a complete system, for just $30 or $35. And there was only the picture to go by. I got that one. I told him to keep the system, and ship me the board by surface mail (air mail from Canada is insanely expensive). Took over 2 months for it to cross the Atlantic. Turned out to be an '87. One-piece caps. What are yours?

I remember that auction. I emailed the guy and asked him the same, keep the machine send me the keyboard. I don't think he understood what he had. I guess I lost it to you. Small world.
The '88 is 2 piece which I prefer. I had an '87 ( I think it was an 87 ) that I basically gave away. It was one piece keys except for  the j and f keys. I thought that was odd. Plus this keyboard seemed to have a hard life. It took a couple of hours to clean the goo out of it and the springs felt like they worn out.
I was on clicky keyboards and it looks like '87 was the first model year. They had some unicomps that came out in 2004. Of  course all of them are sold.