Author Topic: Introducing the GH36 Programmable Matrix Keypad  (Read 204881 times)

Offline James35

Re: Introducing the GH36 Programmable Matrix Keypad
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:29:19 »
GenKaan,
   If you want to use arcade buttons, there is a better way. Feel free to PM me.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 04:20:46 »
Been wanting to make a hitbox for fighting games thats almost small enough to have in your pocket, would it be possible to make a custom layout like a "hitbox"?

Something like this:
Show Image

Im playing on PC so it dose not matter really what PCB thats being used. Only need 12 buttons + what ever for lighting :)

The grid is square, so other than the stagger, yes.  Also it can only be six columns wide.

Is that for two hands?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Yeah its for two hands, think 6 buttons would work just fine since I dont want all 4 on each top row.
One row would be  [] [] x  x [] []
Second would be    x  x [] [] [] []
Third would be       x  x  x [] x  x
Last row would be  x  x  [] x x  x

Not looked into a layout, just liked the design and would like to try out a hitbox if I could find a cheap one :)
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 08:35:43 »
That layout is very easy to do on the GH36.  Also, because of the expansion pads, you can have two of them running to a single USB cable if you wanted.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 10:19:13 »
This is a reply to a PM I think will be useful for others...

So Im interested in one but cant seem to find a price anywhere, or what services offered. How much would I have to spend to get a pad?

Well, the status is this:

I have designed and had made 20 prototype PCBs for the GH36 Matrix Keypad.  Each PCB cost around $20.  After the prototypes are worked on by several experienced members, I will make 20 +/- beta versions.  Those will have full backlighting.  Again, probably around $20 per PCB.  Then, if people want some, I will do a production run, and the price per PCB will probably drop to $10 each.

Using the $10 cost for the PCB, you would have to gather the following:

$10 PCB
$5 diodes and resistors
$20 Teensy controller

$30 so far.

Plus however many switches you want to install.  Cherry MX switches are 50 cents to $1 each.

LEDs are 25-50 cents each, so another $5 there.

Call it $35 plus switches.

Then you need to solder it all together (pretty easy job) and add keycaps.

Assuming you have or can get the keycaps you want for free, you are looking at $40-50 or so for parts, then 30-90 minutes of build time.  The firmware is easy to create, and is fully customizable and free, so that won't add cost.

I'd call it a $50 DIY project, max.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 17:38:23 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:59:59 »
I haven't really thought about it until now, but won't GH36x2 require two Teensies? and each of them won't know about active layers on the other one?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:05:15 »
I haven't really thought about it until now, but won't GH36x2 require two Teensies? and each of them won't know about active layers on the other one?

The expected solution is you would run a ribbon cable between the two halves. The firmware would have to know about the extra columns, and how the rows were extended to reach them, but you would not need a second controller.

Mind you, you could do that too. Get two GH36 boards, and just use two keyboards. Wasn't there an image somewhere of a GH'r who bought a second HHKB, and was using them both at once for ergonomic relief?

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:21:04 »
Okay, thanks, perhaps I've missed that (not the HHKBs though, but I think they were a joke IIRC).

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:20:58 »
The GH36 PCB has expansion pads for columns 7-12.  You simply attach two GH36 PCBs with ribbons for rows 1-6 and rows 7-12, program the Teensy using the GH36 <All Keys> option in Easy Keymapper and you are good to go.

Two options for this are:

( a ) As a split keyboard similar to the Ergodox.

( b ) As twin outboard add-ons for a TKL keyboard.

I will be building and using twin outboards for my home system.  The LH GH36 will be set up as a LH gaming pad for use on keyboard-and-mouse games.  The RH pad will be set up as a standard numpad.  I am already using the LH gamepad, although I also set up a layer for non-gaming use specifically for when I am doing CAD design.  I use my right hand for the mouse, and have all the keyboard commands I need loaded in the Fn layer of the GH36.  I have a locking switch under FN, so I can leave the keypad in either state quite easily.

Several of the GH36 prototypers said they would be building split keyboards, but I have not seen any progress from them yet.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:23:37 »
Several of the GH36 prototypers said they would be building split keyboards, but I have not seen any progress from them yet.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Currently working on putting a new home in, so I'm behind on a lot of things! Soon....

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 15:10:49 »
Using the $20 cost for the PCB, you would have to gather the following:

$20 PCB
$5 diodes and resistors
$20 Teensy controller

$30 so far.

That's $45, not $30.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 15:19:01 »
I also am mid move. I was planning to use 2 teensy's and have the sides independent. is that an ok test?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 20:02:52 »
I also am mid move. I was planning to use 2 teensy's and have the sides independent. is that an ok test?

I think that's a completely different test, but it would be a test of each board.

In order to test the inter-board communication, the idea would be to use a ribbon cable or the like (stripped IDE cables work well I hear ... I know I have those coming out my ears but would take convincing to get me to disfigure one of the hard-won UDMA cables. Moving on ...) as you would then be testing how the inter-board wires work, as well as the switch design, etc.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 08:40:56 »
Using the $20 cost for the PCB, you would have to gather the following:

$20 PCB
$5 diodes and resistors
$20 Teensy controller

$30 so far.

That's $45, not $30.

yes, but the expected price of the final pcb is only $10

I will be wiring my protoboard up with full LED but I'm looking into getting some small gauge hook up wire first.

oh, and I need to decide on switches.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 08:59:11 »
Still $35 :P, I thought maybe he made a calculating mistake as he does mention it is calculated using $20 PCB. In any case, it is still very quite cheap for a custom board.

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 10:04:28 »
I have read this whole thread and this really feel like a very, very interesting matrix keyboard.

However, would you recommend it if i wanted to use it as an alternative to Ergodox (for both hands)? I mean not using it for gaming but for typing?
Sharing the knowledge

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 10:24:42 »
However, would you recommend it if i wanted to use it as an alternative to Ergodox (for both hands)? I mean not using it for gaming but for typing?
Well, this should be cheaper and easier to source (especially keycaps), with support for backlighting (noone makes backlit ErgoDox PCBs, although I think they do exist), but somewhat less ergonomic: no vertical staggering (not a big deal for me, perhaps I'd consider a layout modification like Q-to-1, A-to-Q, Z-A, Z on the modifier row) and no thumb clusters (again, I don't think it's the end of the world, because ErgoDox thumb clusters aren't tented anyway, and their outer keys are hard to reach for most people).

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 11:59:03 »
I am going to assemble a GH36x2 in a split-keyboard configuration.  The default layer (attached) will hold as much of a normal ANSI keyboard as possible.  The FN layer will add the remaining punctuation, mods, and navigation keys.  On Fn2, I will put a traditional 10-key pad on the RH keyboard.

(Boot and Console modes will also be on the Fn2 layer.)

-Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 17:17:12 »
Thanks Davkol! Is vertical staggering really proved to be more ergonomic than matrix in theory?

This configuration really looks perfect Samwisekoi !!!

Sharing the knowledge

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 17:46:22 »
The advantage is quite obvious: it minimizes reaching with shorter fingers and clawing long fingers.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 18:18:54 »
Thanks Davkol! Is vertical staggering really proved to be more ergonomic than matrix in theory?

This configuration really looks perfect Samwisekoi !!!

Thanks.  Unfortunately, nothing is perfect.

In this test build, the split spacebar locations feel fine, but the bottom-row shift keys do not.  I might move them to 2x verticals where the Enter is on the RH GH36.

The MX Greens for Esc, WASD, and Enter were an experiment.  They are too different.  The linear Grays are great as spacebar switches in this config.

I may swap out the Greens for something else, and possibly change the top row as well.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 19:32:48 »
I think this is better.

Default Layer:
All keys on a 60% plus some extra nav keys.

Fn Layer: Swaps the top row for F1-F12.  All other keys remain unchanged.

Fn2 Layer: Enables full nav cluster plus full numpad.  Also boot and console mode.

I would use a normal switch for the Fn key and a locking switch for the Fn2 key.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 07:35:41 »
I think it's a great idea to have swapped F keys on default layer and i love Fn2 Layer.

Have you tried to swap Enter and Shift for the right hand on default layer? Did it feel too weird?

I'd really like to experiment with assigning backspace to the right space as i realized i only use my left hand to hit space on my keyboard.

I'm a bit confuse however as to why there is no AltGr key on the right keypad, i mean i can see it's because of the right shift taking two keys slots but for me it's a key that is really needed.

Anyway i can't wait to get my hands on it !!!
Sharing the knowledge

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 10:32:58 »
I think it's a great idea to have swapped F keys on default layer and i love Fn2 Layer.

Have you tried to swap Enter and Shift for the right hand on default layer? Did it feel too weird?

I'd really like to experiment with assigning backspace to the right space as i realized i only use my left hand to hit space on my keyboard.

I'm a bit confuse however as to why there is no AltGr key on the right keypad, i mean i can see it's because of the right shift taking two keys slots but for me it's a key that is really needed.

Anyway i can't wait to get my hands on it !!!

Thanks!

I rarely use AltGr, but Ctrl_R is a special key for virtualization.  Since Ctrl-Alt-Del would reboot the host, Ctrl_R-Del is used to reboot just the VM.  However, there is no reason I couldn't put Ctrl_R on the left, and swap it out with AltGr on the right.

Looking at the Fn and Fn2 layers, I found some issues.  #1 is that most of Fn2 is redundant.  #2 is that if you remove the redundant keys from Fn2, there is no overlap between Fn and Fn2, so why not just combine them in a single Fn layer?

More important is the fact that the Teensy is on the RH GH36, but the Fn2 key is on the LH.  That means that if you plugged in just the RH (master) GH36, you couldn't put the master half into Fn2 mode to use it as a stand-alone numpad!  That is bad!

So I am trying to put a locking Fn or Fn2 key on the RH.  That way you could use just the master half as a numpad, or connect them to make a split keyboard.

Finally, I also use only one thumb for the space bar; but in my case it is the right thumb.  However, I never use a thumb to hit a bottom-row mod; those are pinky keys.  So putting the Shift keys on the bottom row feels weird.  However, so does putting Enter down there, and I use that quite a lot as well.  In the end, I figured it was less weird to use my left thumb for Space than my right thumb for Enter.  I might try putting Shift_R on a vertical 2x (numpad Enter position) and Enter on a 2x vertical key above that (numpad +).  Sadly, that reduces the available switches, and I quite like having the apostrophe where it belongs.

Anyhow, thanks for the input.  The good news is that you can put your keys wherever you want on your GH36x2!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 11:57:24 »
why not just combine them in a single Fn layer?

Yeah that makes sens good idea!

Just to make sure i understand correctly, when you talk about a "locking Fn" Key you mean that, you press the Fn Lock key => keyboard switch to a different layout until you press that Fn key again? I mean, the "normal Fn" Key is supposed to switch layers as long as the key is pressed and goes back to the default Layer when released right?

I also like your idea of having "led feedback" for layers switching even if it depends on the driver of course.

I have been using a Logitech G13 for some time now, that's why your design is so appealing to me. Even if i hate the G13 rubberdome keys i do like the fact that i can switch profiles with any key i want (switching layers when  key being pressed only) but i can also use "Memories Keys", 3 of them at the top that "permanently" switch layers.

Actually before i found your thread i was hoping of finding a PCB where i could add 3 or 4 of these buttons at the top of the keyboard as a row that would have only one function which would be to "permanently" switch layers: Layer 1(default), Layer 2, Layer 3...

Anyway, i still haven't figured out if you were still selling PCBs currently but i'd like to be on the list for the next batch if possible.

I honestly think this is the best keyboard i have seen, small, great design and firmware and totally suits my needs.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 September 2014, 05:29:17 by Kaibz »
Sharing the knowledge

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 04:56:42 »
The more I see your progress, the more I've decided it makes sense. I was originally looking for 8x8, but now I think a 6x6 makes more sense. There will genuinely be no movement of the hands with a 6x6. The thumb will have to do more work triggering function layers.

I do hope you will also consider a project to build cases for everyone. A group buy for cases will be much, much cheaper. If you get 50-80 people interested that would be probably at least 200 cases since most people will buy at least 2. At such a production quantity, things will be extremely cheap.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:07:39 »
Thanks.  I'm thinking about cases, yes.  I'd like to find a way to make very inexpensive sets of wedge shape cases.  For those of you interested, the PCB is going to be 5" x 5" with mounting holes at each corner, .125" in and .0625" radius.  (That is 6/32 or M3 sized.)  Cable and USB exit locations still TBD.

I soldered up a pair of PROTO_1 boards to make a GH36x2 this weekend, and ordered wires, connectors, a Teensy, etc. on Friday.  As soon as those come in, I'll finish the pair up and finally post some pictures.

- Ron | samwisekoi
(Auto-sig by GH36 PROTO_1)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:39:56 »
just found my bag of standoffs so I can finally solder and use mine.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:28:16 »
Ok, I have designed a case for 3D printing and uploaded it to Shapeways:

Shapeways: GH36 Wedge Case v.1 (PROTO)

This is to fit the PROTO_1 PCB,  I will adapt it for Beta and Prod PCBs.

$51 in white plastic.  $297 in gold-plated steel.  Source file is available for download.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:08:30 by samwisekoi »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 12:36:07 »
Looking good. The link doesn't work for me though.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:09:36 »
URL above should work for everyone.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 18:22:55 »
I really like it, simple and classy.

I know you might not be able to answer this but, do you have a rough idea as to when you'll be able to start taking orders for final PCB and if you'll ship internationally?
Sharing the knowledge

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 19:04:01 »
I really like it, simple and classy.

I know you might not be able to answer this but, do you have a rough idea as to when you'll be able to start taking orders for final PCB and if you'll ship internationally?

Thanks!

No, perhaps a couple of months. And yes, there is already a set in the UK.  These are cheap and easy to mail.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 21:25:03 »
Does this case have any mounting or does the PCB just sit in it?

Also, I should be able to get my board built up soon.  I think I might go for the split hand version and see how that goes.   :thumb:

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 23:50:29 »

Also, I should be able to get my board built up soon.  I think I might go for the split hand version and see how that goes.   :thumb:

There are mount points, but I was not comfortable with molding the holes yet.  So using it requires marking, drilling and tapping four holes for 6/32 or 3mm screws.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 01:31:26 »

There are mount points, but I was not comfortable with molding the holes yet.  So using it requires marking, drilling and tapping four holes for 6/32 or 3mm screws.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Awesome,  that's great to know.  I've been meaning to buy a tap and die set of my own anyway, so this is a good reason to get one.  :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 03:44:40 »
I want pictures :(

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 08:57:28 »
Revised case design coming soon.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #187 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 09:08:54 »

(Attachment Link)

$51 in white plastic.  $297 in gold-plated steel.  Source file is available for download.

- Ron | samwisekoi

the item says not for sale?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 09:18:58 »

My guess would be possibly been removed due to:

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 09:23:20 »

My guess would be possibly been removed due to:

- Ron | samwisekoi

Yup.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #190 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 10:13:26 »
 :thumb:   Awesome.  I will nominate myself to be a guinea pig for this case.  Looks very exciting.   :)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 12:15:58 »
has anyone besides dorkvader and sam built their's yes? I feel bad because I am still moving and haven't had time to start yet.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 12:46:24 »
has anyone besides dorkvader and sam built their's yes? I feel bad because I am still moving and haven't had time to start yet.

I also haven't had a chance yet.  :(  And last I heard from Ray, he's house hunting and hasn't had a chance.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 13:00:02 »
So my "better case" was indeed better, but it also was much more expensive to 3D print.  So I have ordered one of the v.1 prototypes in the cheapest, fastest material: unpolished white plastic.  It is due around 10/04, and after I verify it works I will open it up for ordering again.

However, the design file is available for download if you want to print it yourself.  And if anyone wants to buy one before I get mine, I can open it up for sale upon request.

Shapeways pricing is weird, and I'll have to grok it so I can optimize designs for their pricing.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 15:24:08 »
So my "better case" was indeed better, but it also was much more expensive to 3D print.  So I have ordered one of the v.1 prototypes in the cheapest, fastest material: unpolished white plastic.  It is due around 10/04, and after I verify it works I will open it up for ordering again.

However, the design file is available for download if you want to print it yourself.  And if anyone wants to buy one before I get mine, I can open it up for sale upon request.

Shapeways pricing is weird, and I'll have to grok it so I can optimize designs for their pricing.

- Ron | samwisekoi

later when a more final version is created maybe I could make a mold of the case. resin casting should be drastically cheaper.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 15:37:43 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

later when a more final version is created maybe I could make a mold of the case. resin casting should be drastically cheaper.

I am very interested in this, particularly for the too-large-to-3D-print GH-122 case.  That will be the same shape, except scaled up to 9" x 21".

Can you expand on your comment, please?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 03:04:18 »

(Attachment Link)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Gold plated steel?

Seriously, the hardcore geekhackers!

I nominate white plastic of the classic Model F XT kind. Solid, clean, strong, cheap, very classic looking and also easily painted.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 September 2014, 03:07:04 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 09:15:29 »

(Attachment Link)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Gold plated steel?

Seriously, the hardcore geekhackers!

I nominate white plastic of the classic Model F XT kind. Solid, clean, strong, cheap, very classic looking and also easily painted.

Guess which one I bought to test?

Also, as a pricing test I designed a 5x5" wedge case with very strong .125" (1/8") walls.  In white plastic?  $80.  In "Polished Gold Steel"?  $746.

Finally, the GH-122/153 isn't a matrix keyboard, but with the JIS bottom row, it gets damn close:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/88ae5197a17f716d75ee0d60fe284990

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 September 2014, 10:01:58 by samwisekoi »

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 10:08:08 »
Wow I am getting some big time reality check here.

5x5 inches of plastic at $80.

that means an F XT has like $300 of plastic. I guess with oil prices at $100/barrel plastic prices are never going down.

I like the GH122 and will buy it. I really hope it can fit the standard, currently nearly worthless Model M 122 casing. Even if you made 1000 GH122s I think we can easily find enough M122s. But $80 for a casing for the GH36 seems extreme. I really hope other geekhackers will quickly step in with better options.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 11:12:30 »
Wow I am getting some big time reality check here.

5x5 inches of plastic at $80.

that means an F XT has like $300 of plastic. I guess with oil prices at $100/barrel plastic prices are never going down.

I like the GH122 and will buy it. I really hope it can fit the standard, currently nearly worthless Model M 122 casing. Even if you made 1000 GH122s I think we can easily find enough M122s. But $80 for a casing for the GH36 seems extreme. I really hope other geekhackers will quickly step in with better options.

Well, the issue is machine time, really.  The plastic is pretty cheap, so if you can find a local shop to 3D print it (or have a buddy with a 3D printer) you can make the smaller versions for much less.

The GH-122 case will need to be made in some other fashion, and I am trying to source that now.  My target is a sub-$100 USD case in 2mm/0.1" plastic.

We'll see.  I will make the GH-122 board fit the Unicomp case, so that will be a $30 option, albeit with fewer switches.

Back to the GH36, my target is a parts cost of $100USD for a dual-case, dual-PCB GH36x2 including cables, diodes, and a few LEDs.  I have a quote for a laser-cut acrylic wedge case for $60/pair.  That includes a plate, but does require assembly and glue.  But if I can hit $50 for a pair of cases plus $20 for a pair of PCBs, we can have the most cost-effective two-hand keyboard pair out there.

Of course, switches and keycaps will always be an end-user variable.

How does that sound?

- Ron | samwisekoi