Author Topic: mod ANSI to JIS: diodes and cutting a Filco backplate  (Read 1945 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
mod ANSI to JIS: diodes and cutting a Filco backplate
« on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 22:46:52 »
OK, I've just spent quite a lot of time file modding a plate and the result is quite satisfying.

Now I want to to try modding a Filco from ANSI to JIS. Do the diodes matter? I don't understand NKRO. If I don't have NKRO due to not having diodes on every key, will that stop me using ctrl-alt-del, alt-b-m, ctrl-f-g-h or whatever macro I wish to program using autohotkey or soarer teensy?

I'll also need to mod the backplate by cutting it.

Does anyone have ideas? I am not concerned with aesthetics (who's gonna look under the keycaps except other geekhackers?). I'm willing to put time and effort. But I have fairly limited tools and no experience with metal cutting. I'm not going to add stabilizers on the 1x1 extra JIS keys so less need to be precise. As long as I can roughly cut a square key hole I can file down the rest.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: mod ANSI to JIS: diodes and cutting a Filco backplate
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 21:04:19 »
If you don't have diodes under the "new" keys, they'll most likely just not work at all. You will need to add diodes if there aren't any (there usually are) for the extra JIS switches. Make sure they point the correct way.

Modding the backplate may be hard. You might be able to drill a lot of holes, then file inbetween them? Not sure here.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 23:42:58 »
If you don't have diodes under the "new" keys, they'll most likely just not work at all. You will need to add diodes if there aren't any (there usually are) for the extra JIS switches. Make sure they point the correct way.

Modding the backplate may be hard. You might be able to drill a lot of holes, then file inbetween them? Not sure here.

speaking of diodes what do they really do? I don't understand why PCB mounted switches have diodes inside them and plate mounted ones don't.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 11:41:29 »

speaking of diodes what do they really do? I don't understand why PCB mounted switches have diodes inside them and plate mounted ones don't.

You can have diodes inside either switch, though it's true that cherry PCB mount switches will often have a jumper or diode in the front. I think this is to help stabilize it on the PCB, and I advocate the use of an in-switch diode or jumper in all PCB-mounted keyboards.

As to what they do? Here's an excellent article on it.
http://www.dribin.org/dave/keyboard/one_html/

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 13:24:27 »

You can have diodes inside either switch, though it's true that cherry PCB mount switches will often have a jumper or diode in the front. I think this is to help stabilize it on the PCB, and I advocate the use of an in-switch diode or jumper in all PCB-mounted keyboards.

As to what they do? Here's an excellent article on it.
http://www.dribin.org/dave/keyboard/one_html/

Ah, that article I once came across and missed because I didn't understand it right away. But thanks to you I looked at it again and am beginning to understand.

Diodes basically take up the same spaces as LEDs right? So when you have LEDs, there is no space for diodes? And where do you fit the resistors for an LED? And if you SIP mod the thing, you're going to be left with no space for diodes. You have to solder them separately on a plate mounted keyboard's PCB, right? Just trying to wrap my brain across these miniscule things.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 13:38:09 »
If you have in-switch LEDs (or SIP sockets), there is no space for an in-switch diode, correct. You will have to mount it on the PCB.

Same with the resistor for the LED: needs to be mounted on the PCB or direct-wired to power. The resistor can go anywhere between the LED itself and the power supply for it. In the WASD V1 I have the resistor is SMD on the daughterboard with the controller. In most keyboards the resistor is on the switch PCB near the LED though.

Plate VS. PCB mount doesn't necessarily apply directly here: you can have LEDs or SIP sockets (or nothing, in the case of the poker X and pure) in the fornt of the PCB-mounted switch. Or you can have SIP sockets, and LED or a diode / jumper. If you want both LEDs and NKRO, you will need to mount stuff on the PCB near the switch or direct wire.

if you are wanting to add LEDs to all the switches on your JIS filco, it'll be hard. The easiest way might be to use something like Melvang's "the enabler" PCB to help you direct wire it.

Some keyboards (phantom, pinnacle) have diodes on the PCB (not in switch) and are designed for nothing to be in the front of the switch. These are for plate-mount switches usually.