Author Topic: Magic Key Puller  (Read 2767 times)

Offline lolkey

Magic Key Puller
« on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 15:43:12 »
Why hasn't anyone made a rubberized keypuller instead of the traditional metal wire frame ones? Even a wireframe coated in a thin rubber will do. After a few months of pulling caps, I've noticed I've accumulated some very fine scratches on the case from the puller bouncing/scraping on the case.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 August 2014, 15:49:17 by lolkey »
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Re: Magic Key Puller
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 16:20:44 »
Like a rubber-coated whisk.... yeah, why hasn't someone done that yet?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 16:47:23 »
Like a rubber-coated whisk.... yeah, why hasn't someone done that yet?

I thought about that, but then decided that it'd be too thick to get between the keycaps. I imagine that's part of the reason it hasn't been made.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 16:53:41 »
I just want a magic key puller that doesn't dig into my keycaps, forget scratches. The wire key pullers can sometimes get a bit crazy and dent/dig into keycaps. They seem to work fine on really hard keycaps like the stock ones that come on keyboards, and WASDkeyboards keycaps, but my wire keypuller can at times dig into the sharp edges on cherry keycaps and dent them. Does this happen to anyone else?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:14:13 »
I just want a magic key puller that doesn't dig into my keycaps, forget scratches. The wire key pullers can sometimes get a bit crazy and dent/dig into keycaps. They seem to work fine on really hard keycaps like the stock ones that come on keyboards, and WASDkeyboards keycaps, but my wire keypuller can at times dig into the sharp edges on cherry keycaps and dent them. Does this happen to anyone else?

You're not the only one. It's especially noticeable when you pull stabilized Cherry keys, with clear switches.  :eek:
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:15:32 »

I chipped my Miz Kite CC with a regular rounded wire keypuller even while removing it delicately. I cried.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:19:42 »

I chipped my Miz Kite CC with a regular rounded wire keypuller even while removing it delicately. I cried.
I know that feel, I dented my revenge red CC pretty bad with the puller as well, but luckily I was able to just sort of "push" the plastic back into place and you would never know it happened. But at the time I was freaking out pretty bad lol

You're not the only one. It's especially noticeable when you pull stabilized Cherry keys, with clear switches.  :eek:
Yep, my cherry keycaps are on clear switches and cherry stabs. It is so hard to get them off the switch :(

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:23:49 »
If you coated just the top inner part of the wire then it wouldn't be too thick to use on caps
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline lolkey

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 18:32:55 »
Something like a double zipper handle would prob work, like below, just double the loops, make them thinner, and add a good handle. then you can put a small oring at the top of the loops that you slide down to tighten the grip and make it more snug to pull! whoever makes these, i want full creative control and 99% of profit. :))

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 August 2014, 18:49:26 by lolkey »
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 22:07:00 »
Plastidip may help, but the main issue with rubberizing the wire is that it wouldn't hold up well and it would add thickness or detract from the strength of the wire.

Offline qwack

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 06:06:29 »
It may be possible with thin wire (paper clips ?) and heatshrink tubing, but aside from the added thickness the fact that the tubing might not slide well against the key might be an issue.

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 06:11:11 »
Use your teeth.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 06:13:33 »
Plastidip may help, but the main issue with rubberizing the wire is that it wouldn't hold up well and it would add thickness or detract from the strength of the wire.

I think this is a good idea. Dip your Filco style puller in Plastidip or liquid latex and hold the loops apart while it dries. Should do the job for a while, but it my not last very long and may be harder to get between the caps.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 06:17:11 »
Maybe some 'sugru' could do it?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 06:58:03 »

Offline epicepee

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 11:59:35 »
I have some Kevlar fishing line that I plan to make into a key puller.  Two loops of that and a 3D printed handle, no more scratches.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 12:07:59 »
Some paper-clips are coated with plastic. So you just need to bring them into the right shape to use them as keypuller.

74852-0