Author Topic: Thinking of designing/3d-printing a cable angler for my pexon cable ->  (Read 59538 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Hi :)

I saw my gold plated galaxy+techflex beauty on the pictures thread, I was initially intending to get a corded cable, but couldn't decide on the cording structure, so pulled the plug on a normal cable, still anxiously waiting the post to arrive

I'm intending to design/3d-print a cable angler, it will likely bend the cable at a steep angle like 90 degrees - or even 120 degrees

I'm wondering whether the heat shrink / cable sleeving can handle it, I don't want to pull the sleeving from the usb/shrink part, or damage the sleeving as this part would likely be slip-on, the grip might be stressful at first

Long story short, how tough are your cables? :)

Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline pexon

• El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
Re: Thinking of designing/3d-printing a cable angler for my pexon cable ->
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 03:40:27 »
Hey man, this is a cool idea. If you get something sorted,  let me know as it could be a cool project to work on together.

You should it have any issues with the drink tubing, all our connectors are glued in place. If you want to discuss any ideas or other questions, feel free to private message or email me!  :thumb:

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 18:00:04 »
Haven't started on a design yet, but it's going to be the simplest exo-cast that can hold the cable with the desired angle

I don't know how strong the cable's torque is going to be in the bent state, I also don't know how strong the outer sleeving is, that's why I haven't started designing prematurely

I'm not sure whether I can come up with something that's both aesthetically pleasing/neutral and rigid/functional

I will likely use the angled adapter instead

It would be awesome if you started creating pre-angled cables, or find a low profile angled adapter source :)

There are some pictures of low profile adapters similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Right-Angle-Charger-Adapter/dp/B000FHBEFS but my searches were fruitless (this one is pretty nice too, but only exists in this direction, It's also unclear whether the pins are sufficient)
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 April 2015, 18:10:41 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline pexon

• El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 10:34:29 »
Those angled adapters that you linked are the original ones we supplied, however, they are only orientated to one direction.

The thing is I can supply cables with angled fitment for Micro and Mini USB, but they will only accept single sleeved paracord cables as they are so tight.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 05:52:57 »
Received the cable today, it's beautiful, thanks for the sweets too

Teleflex has too much of a character tho, the entire cable is connected, when you twist one end, the other end experiences it, too much stress, so a single sleeved angled cable might be nice, is it currently possible?

After inspecting the cable, came up with a very simple angler design, it worked in the first revision too, one-shots are always satisfying, I'm not sure whether I would want to use the cable like this tho
With a V60, the cable goes over a dell monitor stand, however flat 60% cases will probably bump the cable to the stand, so an angler is needed

Here is the first prototype, it's pretty much like 3 nails on a stick, abandoned the exo-cast idea, this one is simpler, easier to adjust, very easy to print:
98648-098650-1

I will probably attach 4 of these to the cable so it goes from one end to the other without any stress