Author Topic: Which text editor do you use and why?  (Read 53757 times)

Offline iwantatrophy

Which text editor do you use and why?
« on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 04:22:47 »
It is Sublime for me because of its easy usability. I tried learning vim and emacs but both are just strange to me.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
Re: Which text editor do you use and why?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 04:50:34 »
Emacs user here for nearly 17 years now, Spacemacs user for about a year and a half. I'm an Emacs user, because it is the most powerful, most customisable thing, ever. It's not just a text editor, it is an IDE, an IRC client, an Email and RSS feed reader, a music player, and whatever else you can imagine. I live inside Emacs. The only thing I do outside of it, is browsing.

This way, I have all the familiar key bindings, and the full power of Emacs at my fingertips, no matter what I do. It is consistent, powerful, and doesn't care that I have thousands of buffers open. Being able to reach everything, from anywhere, pretty much effortlessly, is an incredible boost to both productivity, and comfort.

Offline Kilonzi

• Praise the sun!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 04:51:13 »
When I was working a lot with Sun Solaris systems I used plain VI and also VIM all the time and on all operating systems.

Now I switched to Sublime Text too. It's a great text editor. A lot of good functions, cross-platform and really, really fast.

At work I do some coding here and there. I'm currently trying out Visual Studio Code. And it's not bad. I quite like it too. But sometimes I think that a lot of things are just copied from Sublime Text.

Offline lancre

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 05:57:26 »
I use emacs because of the support for R through ESS mode.

I also like org mode, and the ability to use shells in buffers, and it has nice support for Clojure which I want to learn.

I also like how I can remap keys in init.el.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 05:59:58 by lancre »

Realforce 104UW          Dell AT102W             NMB RT8255C+                   Omnikey Ultra-T

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 06:07:26 »
notepad++. it's really fast and i'm used to it

i've been meaning to try out vs code though, it's improving very fast

Offline joey

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 06:16:28 »
vim, picked it first over emacs and never tried to switch.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 07:02:52 »
I use Vim because it's on every server in production and beyond.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 07:04:53 »
Sublime, favorite by far once customized.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 07:32:56 »
Vim, the One True Editor. Learned vanilla vi when I was a wee sysadmin farming Solaris and Irix boxes; kept using it because once the vi worms are your brain, you no longer want to escape. (Or rather, it is a Hotel California - you escape all the time, but never leave.)

The first "real" text editor I used was Eve, on VMS.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 07:35:09 »
I really like Atom.

I'm very new to programming in general, but I like it for it's very user friendly interface and all the nice extensions that come along with it.  I don't have a ton to compare it to, but for now it's very comfortable for me to use.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 10:31:58 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 10:32:37 »
I use Atom, came from Sublime Text. It's a lot stronger than Sublime Text and does some things a lot better, like package management. Open source is a plus too. I've considered switching to VS Code since it's supposed to be faster, but I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft and I don't code enough right now to care. If I switch to Linux later I would very much like to learn Vim, largely thanks to its omnipresence, allowing you to use it over ssh.
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 10:52:31 »
BBEdit. l mostly live in Mac OS X. Been using it for years, haven't needed to switch.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 13:24:17 »
vim for essentially everything, I immediately miss it when I have to use something else. I'll probably switch to emacs with evil mode at some point when I do more Lisp'ing

This way, I have all the familiar key bindings, and the full power of Emacs at my fingertips, no matter what I do.

That is super compelling to me, basically sold me om switching with just that statement.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Sniping

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 13:28:27 »
i'm a sublime boi

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:26:34 »
I've always been a vi/vim guy.  I was a UNIX admin for many years...so that is where I picked it up.

I do use textmate on my Macs on occasion.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 07:19:27 »
Vim all the way. Been using it since 2006, invested a lot of time in writing plugins / streamlining setup / finding plugins.

I like spacemacs as well and I am attracted to it because it seems more streamlined / unified approach. Plugins all seem to have more predictable behavior, whereas vim plugins can vary greatly in terms of default shortcuts / UI layout (temporary buffer or not, opening in the same buffer or opening another window, allowing remap or having to set config parameters for the plugin etc).
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 08:32:48 »
I use Nano for all those small editing tasks, with the alias "pico".
Nano is GNU's clone of Pico which came with an early email client called Pine, which was the first email client that I used. Pine and Pico or Nano has been available on every Unix and Linux system that I have ever had a user account on. You can almost always count on it being installed.
It has very few commands. Nano has syntax highlighting but bogs down if source files are larger than a couple hundred lines or so, so ...

For programming, I use either GEdit or whatever is in the IDE that I have to use. I prefer the Mac/Windows hotkey set for heavy editing. Notepad++ on Windows.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 March 2017, 08:34:50 by Findecanor »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 19:59:14 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=4482.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48499.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73366.0

:p

I knew this was a really popular question around here, but that's ridiculous :)

That's all I could find after a very brief search - there are probably a few more threads with more obscure titles.

FTR I use vim mostly, and TextWrangler on Mac.  ConTEXT on Windows on the rare occasions that I suffer under Microsoft these days.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 20:27:05 »
SublimeText all the way :)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 02:21:17 »
I used to be completely Vim, but TBH VS Code has everything I could want, and the extensions for anything it doesn't have out of the box. Super lightweight, fast, cross-platform, and performs well under HiDPI on Windows (which GVim fails at hard)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 08:33:16 »
Realized that I didn't answer the question.  :)  I've gone through SlickEdit, UltraEdit,  Zeus,  Emacs,  and Atom,  but have Settled into Sublime Text,  and it's sublime text all the way now, though I dabble in VS Code. Extensions,  support for Markdown, speed, projects out of folders, split screen,  and the ability to sync the screens are my reasons.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 09:20:09 »
I knew this was a really popular question around here, but that's ridiculous :)
It's interesting to see how usages change, though.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 12:38:12 »
Interestingly Vim and Sublime Text listed as being used by the CIA in the latest WikiLeaks release. While curiously Notepad++ is targeted using a DLL hijack, as part of a section on exploiting portable versions of apps.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:15:03 »
libreoffice for most of my stuff

scrivener if it's november
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:48:54 »
Just a hobbyist here. VIM to jot down ideas. NANO for quick .conf edits. Mousepad/Geany/Gedit for everything else. I'll most likely d/l Sublime again to help with Python; I know enough to edit things but not enough to write things.

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:57:08 »
sublime, notepad++

so good
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Blanched_Almond

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 00:39:50 »
For me its a Sublime text because I am able to customize shortcuts available for my needs.  It’s remarkably good! On one hand, I'm also using a notepad, though it is only suitable for windows.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 March 2017, 20:44:58 by Blanched_Almond »

Offline iri

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 08:15:09 »
Vim of course.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline wangledorf

• Formerly pewing
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 02:16:33 »
Neovim and Vim when neovim isn't an option; once you learn Vim, relying on a mouse feels extra cumbersome. On Windows will occasionally use Notepad++ for non-programming stuff like editing markup. The alt-click (vertical select) functionality is pretty much the only reason I have it installed.  :thumb:

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:09:25 »
VIm with line numbers and Penumbra color theme. I actually find myself often wishing that the forum editor was VIm.

I learned VI way way back and it's just what I've always used, it works and unless you uninstall it almost every *nix style OS has some version of it installed by default.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:37:30 »
VIm with line numbers and Penumbra color theme. I actually find myself often wishing that the forum editor was VIm.

If you use the Chrome browser/spyware, there's Vimium for forms. I have to use Chrome for some things at work, and Vimium's pretty nice.

Offline iri

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 11:10:47 »

If you use the Chrome browser/spyware, there's Vimium for forms. I have to use Chrome for some things at work, and Vimium's pretty nice.
Is there spyware in Chromium?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 12:13:59 »

Is there spyware in Chromium?

Thats true for all browsers if you read the license agreement the parent company is allowed to collect anonymous browser habits and statistic. There are usually opt-outs but you can never be 100% sure, it's the nature of being online. When I'm president I will abolish licenses, companies will either sell you the software w/o ****ty ass licenses or they wont sell anything. Tear down the walls not build new ones.  ;)

Offline KnightDX

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 12:15:23 »
Notepad++ for its plugins and ease of use, as well as its syntax highlighting.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 17:29:14 »
MS-DOS_Editor, works well in Windows 10.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 09:14:04 »
I used to be completely Vim, but TBH VS Code has everything I could want, and the extensions for anything it doesn't have out of the box. Super lightweight, fast, cross-platform, and performs well under HiDPI on Windows (which GVim fails at hard)

Never thought I'd use a MS product, but I've actually been using VS Code with Vim mode instead of Emacs over the last week and am liking it a lot. Previously had used Emacs for ~6 years.

Offline iri

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 09:42:16 »
VS Code is nice. Its Vim modes are crap.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 15:03:09 »
I've been using Ultra-Edit for over a decade. fantastic for handling really big data files too. very customizable too.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 07:58:58 »
VS Code is nice. Its Vim modes are crap.

You're right, but I'm not using the Vim mode for the sake of Vim emulation, just to have slightly nicer keyboard navigation. There are definitely lots of little parts of it that don't work well -- macros seem to be particularly bad. I periodically revert to Emacs just for macros and then switch back to VS Code.

Offline iri

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 08:55:31 »
Makes sense.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 11:00:28 »
libreoffice for most of my stuff

scrivener if it's november

Hey, another writer... cool! :)

Offline iwantatrophy

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 23:15:00 »
A genuine question : is Vim like editor really viable for those who have to work on files in multiple directories? It seems way easier for me to use a GUI to browse and open the file rather than type :b and browse to the file manually.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 23:33:34 »
You could just launch vim with the file in question straight from your CLI. Well, there are probably loads of plugins for file browsing that I'm not aware of just yet

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 22:21:52 »
A genuine question : is Vim like editor really viable for those who have to work on files in multiple directories? It seems way easier for me to use a GUI to browse and open the file rather than type :b and browse to the file manually.

I use vim to edit files in multiple directories fairly often.  I just invoke vim and pass a list of filenames (or a wildcard) on the command line, then :n to cycle through all the buffers in turn.

Offline northpark

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 00:42:12 »
Notepad++ on Windows... that alt-select functionality... O_O

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 01:09:04 »
Windows: Notepad++
Linux GUI: Geany
Linux CLI: Nano

I have fairly light requirements for a text editor. I like having auto-indent and syntax highlighting. Geany's search/replace is quite powerful compared to others I've used, which is nice.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline drakche

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 04:10:19 »
Long time Sublime Text user, but some months ago I switched to VS Code, and I'm really loving it.
out-of-the-box NodeJS debugger is amazing (I'm a JS developer)

Offline iwantatrophy

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 06:10:39 »
Long time Sublime Text user, but some months ago I switched to VS Code, and I'm really loving it.
out-of-the-box NodeJS debugger is amazing (I'm a JS developer)

I like VS Code too, but Sublime is very fast and it feels soo wrong using MS VS Code in Linux.