Author Topic: [IC] Mercury Rocketeer  (Read 39741 times)

Offline Niomosy

Re: [IC] Hermes Rocketeer
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 00:46:51 »
Well, that depends on how open folks are to dye-sub over double-shot. The consensus seems to be to wait for double-shot. But if there is a big shift in interest towards MT3 over SA, I'll certainly consider it. Especially since it appears that MassDrop has established a vendor relationship with the manufacturer in China.

However, there are two other open questions that need to be answered:

1. Are the necessary shades of green available?
2. Can they deliver keycaps in semi-gloss finish?

I would think matt3o would be open to Rocketeer as a run, it just wasn't what he wanted to do as a first run of the new profile.  Colors/finish are another question, though.  I hope they'd be able to get the colors given though I would guess the order for the plastic wouldn't even be placed until money was paid.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 06:45:04 »
Well, that depends on how open folks are to dye-sub over double-shot. The consensus seems to be to wait for double-shot. But if there is a big shift in interest towards MT3 over SA, I'll certainly consider it. Especially since it appears that MassDrop has established a vendor relationship with the manufacturer in China.

However, there are two other open questions that need to be answered:

1. Are the necessary shades of green available?
2. Can they deliver keycaps in semi-gloss finish?

Not 100% sure if I'm correct, but I believe I read somewhere that MD will technically be the owner of the molds for the hi pro set that matt3o created. So it is more than just an established relationship. Sounds like it is open for anyone to use, with the caveat I'm sure that the sets will have to be sold on MD. Matt3o was just the first one to get the ball rolling, but I'm betting MD has an eye on cutting SP out of the game anywhere they can.

Offline zslane

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 12:20:33 »
Semantics maybe? I'd say that paying for the MT3 tooling is definitely part of having an "established relationship".

In any case, access to the MT3 family was never really an issue. However, the ability of the manufacturer to provide the necessary colors and finish options certainly is.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 13:02:39 »
I suppose so. I was just commenting that matt3o doesn't really have any control over who produces keycaps in that profile as the post above mine kind of implied. Probably should have quoted both posts not just yours.

One thing that is almost a certainty is that since MD owns the molds we won't be seeing kits produced in that profile that aren't from MD. I bet it is extremely unlikely that MD has given the vendor permission to produce kits using their molds for a third party or an independent GB like might be organized here. For Hermes this probably wouldn't be a problem as it would be pretty popular and you have a relationship with MD already, however for people hoping that this new profile might open the door for "smaller projects" that probably won't be the case because MD might not be interested in doing custom kits that might only sell 150 kits.

Offline zslane

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 13:31:36 »
Obviously I can't speak for MassDrop, but as a rule they are very open to small projects, even ones where only 150 units will be sold. They really like collaborating with community designers on fun, unique projects. Rocketeer is one such example. So I would encourage anyone with an interesting idea to reach out to Yanbo at MassDrop and see what he has to say, even if it is a fairly small scale project.

Now matt3o may not have the official authority to veto a keycap set that proposes to use MT3, but he can certainly play the role of facilitator since right now he has more influence with regard to his new keycap family than anyone else outside of MassDrop. I don't know the details of his business arrangement with MassDrop, but I would venture to guess he has some degree of controlling interest, so to speak, over the MT3 family.

As for Rocketeer, the project was only ever going to be a MassDrop thing. There are too many other elements to pull together for anyone else to do it and do it the way I would want it done (and with the broad reach MassDrop has). Remember, Rocketeer isn't just a keycap set.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 14:03:23 »
Given the goals of Rocketeer, MassDrop certainly makes the most sense.  I suppose we would need to see how the MT3 caps are going to be handled.  If someone at MD could chime in, that might be helpful.  I'm wondering if a MD discussion on it isn't in order?  It could certainly be helpful to others interested in using MT3 as it gets us a sculptured hi-profile dyesub set where SA dyesub is currently only R3.

Offline Meowmeowmeowpow

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 08:54:38 »
Put me down for: Uniform R3, dye-sub PBT

+ an ergodox kit if possible =P

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 20:59:52 »
Fan of the colors, been wanting an SA set for awhile :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 01:04:14 »
Just spotted this in the window of a local antique store and figured I'd share:

edit: mucked this post up, picture is in the one below...
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 May 2017, 01:16:07 by Bob »
TG3 BL82, Cherry MX clears
Access IS 15x8 matrix layout, Cherry MX blacks

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 01:15:27 »
Ah, I think I've got the hang of images now. Oops  :-[
TG3 BL82, Cherry MX clears
Access IS 15x8 matrix layout, Cherry MX blacks

Offline Auk

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 14:49:24 »
more to this package than just the keycaps....
...a (60%) keyboard, a custom aluminum case (hopefully designed by Rama), and a color-matched cable

I've read your earlier comments that you're intent is for this to be a 60% product only, and I wouldn't want to you compromise on the small and portable inspiration that is at the heart of this project, but: Massdrop are definitely handling the manufacture and logistics so I wondered if you've given any consideration to completing the package with a matching, but standalone, programmable numpad that could include a layer for the 'missing'  F row and maybe macro functionality?

"Will you make a matching numpad case?" is a question that seems to be asked regularly of the the various TKL and smaller case projects so it seems like it is something people would be interested in. Potentially you could then also have a closer to full keycap set to offer more widely to maybe help with price breaks on the keycaps. Unless you really want to keep the sale numbers small and exclusive, in which case I will STFU!

I don't foresee this being a 2017 thing in any case

Will you be waiting to see first hand the final manufactured version of Matt3o's MT3 before making a final decision?

Offline zslane

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 15:43:09 »
I've read your earlier comments that you're intent is for this to be a 60% product only, and I wouldn't want to you compromise on the small and portable inspiration that is at the heart of this project, but...

I fully understand this will exclude many potential buyers, but I'm staying on concept for this. The objective is not broadest reach (or maximum revenue), but finest implementation (of a singular concept). I expect only modest interest in this (comparable to the Minivan), but as long as MassDrop is not concerned about that, then neither am I.

Will you be waiting to see first hand the final manufactured version of Matt3o's MT3 before making a final decision?

No. I believe MT3 will be a terrific keycap family (I'm typing on the prototypes right now). But I want to exhaust all reasonable possibility of doing this with semi-gloss, double-shot SA first before resorting to a textured dye-sub format.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 12:07:26 »
I've read your earlier comments that you're intent is for this to be a 60% product only, and I wouldn't want to you compromise on the small and portable inspiration that is at the heart of this project, but...

I fully understand this will exclude many potential buyers, but I'm staying on concept for this. The objective is not broadest reach (or maximum revenue), but finest implementation (of a singular concept). I expect only modest interest in this (comparable to the Minivan), but as long as MassDrop is not concerned about that, then neither am I.

No. I believe MT3 will be a terrific keycap family (I'm typing on the prototypes right now). But I want to exhaust all reasonable possibility of doing this with semi-gloss, double-shot SA first before resorting to a textured dye-sub format.

If this ends up being fully sculpted (MT3 or Double Shot SA) i will definitely get in. I know you said youll be sticking with the 60% only, but if there was anyway to get a 1.75u shift in there I'd love you. Would at least make 65% boards feasible with this then since I could just cover the extra 1us with artisans or something.

Offline zslane

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 15:03:02 »
If this ends up being fully sculpted (MT3 or Double Shot SA) i will definitely get in. I know you said youll be sticking with the 60% only, but if there was anyway to get a 1.75u shift in there I'd love you. Would at least make 65% boards feasible with this then since I could just cover the extra 1us with artisans or something.

Check out the proposed kits here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88368.msg2389520#msg2389520

Since Shift keys are blank in this set, you'll find them in every size throughout the various kits.

A lot of alternate layouts should be covered with the Specialty kit. I mean, many keyboards larger than 60% will be covered with the kits offered, it's just that there is going to be no (further) special effort to accommodate larger (or more unusual) layouts than what can be covered with what you see in that render.

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 16:27:04 »
Such a lovely set, very much looking forward to it going live.

Offline rustywok

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 17:48:28 »
I like the concept of a bundled board with this custom keyset, etc. into a single group buy. I'll no doubt be in for whatever zslane finally decides on. I tend to prefer sculpted ABS, though the R3 PBT dye-sub looks just as awesome. So either direction though I wouldn't want to see the green go any less saturated.   

Offline ibakey

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 03:12:03 »
Is this still a thing? I really hope this pulls through. I'm kinda bummed out that i missed the dasher and dancer groupbuy so I am making sure I don't miss this one.

Offline zslane

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 11:55:47 »
Yes, it is still a thing. We're hoping for a December drop, but I consider that very tentative.

In the meantime, here's a glimpse at an artisan Return keycap I'm hoping to make available as a separate drop. It is inspired by the fact that the Hermes Rocket typewriter has a metal carriage return arm.

175946-0

Offline h3xadat

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 12:18:19 »
In the meantime, here's a glimpse at an artisan Return keycap I'm hoping to make available as a separate drop. It is inspired by the fact that the Hermes Rocket typewriter has a metal carriage return arm.
(Attachment Link)

Looks beautiful!

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 22:42:12 »
Any update?

Offline zslane

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 11:50:38 »
None to speak of.

It's hard to say how much effort MD is putting into this right now. All I know is that they are working on it on some level.

Offline zimo

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 07:23:29 »
maxkey is a good choice

Offline zslane

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 12:11:18 »
As long as MassDrop is involved, I don't think MaxKeys will be approached to provide keycaps. Moreover, they still have not fixed their legends, and their willingness to create custom legends at a reasonable cost is still an open issue.

Offline zslane

Re: [IC] Mercury Rocketeer
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 12:14:06 »
Here is a concept render I made for one possible take on the custom case design. Please note that the final case that MassDrop comes up with will most likely not look exactly like this, nor is there any guarantee that an engraved logo will be economically feasible (even as a premium option). But this gives you an idea of the sort of thing I'd like to see for the Rocketeer.

179253-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 September 2017, 12:22:42 by zslane »

Offline tialdo

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 12:16:39 »
Any chances for text mods?  ;D

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 12:57:37 »
Here is a concept render I made for one possible take on the custom case design. Please note that the final case that MassDrop comes up with will most likely not look exactly like this, nor is there any guarantee that an engraved logo will be economically feasible (even as a premium option). But this gives you an idea of the sort of thing I'd like to see for the Rocketeer.
Woah! That looks amazing!  :thumb:

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 21:03:31 »

(Attachment Link)

Looks great! It seems to be expensive to have the metal enter key, with engraved legend. Hope it's an option not to have it.

Offline tron

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 21:21:08 »
Love the retro serpentine green color. My vote goes to the MT3 dye sub option.

Offline zslane

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 21:48:13 »

(Attachment Link)

Looks great! It seems to be expensive to have the metal enter key, with engraved legend. Hope it's an option not to have it.

Um, scroll up a few posts to #67.

Offline millifoo

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 22:21:44 »

(Attachment Link)

Gorgeous.

I would absolutely, positively, buy one of these cases engraved+keycaps+chrome_enter.

Offline zslane

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 11:03:25 »
Any chances for text mods?  ;D

I'm afraid not. However, your post is making me consider offering 1.25u blanks for the bottom row. The prospective BLANKS kit(s) already supply two (of each color), but we'd need seven of the darker green to cover the bottom row, so I'll have to think about the best way to arrange for that.

Offline moshjaines

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 17:07:17 »
sold on the artisan return cap!
this set makes me wanna find my old typewriter, was mint green but not sure of the model.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 19:26:46 »
I genuinely love the colours here but does it not have ISO support?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 19:32:22 »

(Attachment Link)
Having had the original Hermes Rocketeer render as my desktop wallpaper for the better part of a year, I have to say that the new render is superior in every way.  The shape of the case is not just an homage to the original typewriter, it has a retro-futuristic design that makes it look like it belongs in a 50s science fiction film.  The name change is not only a nicely sly reference to this board's inspiration, the increased length of "Mercury" over "Hermes" gives the logo a more balanced weighting and reinforces a space theme.  You have 2 cohesive themes existing simultaneously and symbiotically.  And the chrome enter key is the perfect homage to the carriage return arm -- it's orders of magnitude better than the original carriage return novelty key.  It's a shame that the real thing will not look like this render because that thing should be on display in a museum.  The keys look as good as ever.  If the colors on the real keys are as vibrant as they are in the render, that will be great.  I hope they develop a good shine with use, too.  It seems like the whole point of this set is the execution of the concept, so it makes sense to refuse compromises that would expand the market while diluting the concept.

Offline zslane

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 21:36:16 »
I genuinely love the colours here but does it not have ISO support?

It sure does.

179343-0

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 21:47:14 »

(Attachment Link)

The case looks amazingly classical. Any more idea/info about its internal? how is the plate mounted to the case? It's great if the case supports the universal gh60/infinity60 plate. If it's not, is there any chance we have the middle plate to support costar stabilizers?

Offline zslane

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 00:02:41 »
None of those details are available yet, I'm afraid. The MassDrop engineers are in very early stages of working all that out. All they have at this point is my concept art for the case, along with some estimated measurements, all of which are most certainly non-manufacturable as I have it. I don't yet have any information about the plate or PCB either. I hope to have some more info soon though.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 21:26:08 »
The entire build looks absolutely incredible, but I have to imagine it will be pretty expensive as is. Guessing this will test what the upper limit is for typical MD keeb customers as this has to be double a k-type or WhiteFox.

If I have the funds when this is available I'll absolutely pick one up.

Offline millifoo

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 09:28:06 »
This set is looking absolutely gorgeous!  My only request is that you either offer an enter key with text (ENTER) or ditch the carriage lever - it really looks like a hockey stick / p3nis (sorry) and really doesn't fit the rest of the aesthetic.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 09:46:25 »
This set is looking absolutely gorgeous!  My only request is that you either offer an enter key with text (ENTER) or ditch the carriage lever - it really looks like a hockey stick / p3nis (sorry) and really doesn't fit the rest of the aesthetic.

Show Image

But I've always wanted a penis themed set!   :p

Offline zslane

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 11:52:51 »

Show Image

Yeah, it's not my favorite bit of graphics either.

I'd rather leave it blank than put any text on it though.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 05:20:17 »

Show Image

Any Chance of maybe getting this run through the new DSS tooling? I think the colours and inspiration will surely fit the styling of the sculpt.

Offline elfick

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 13:00:01 »

Show Image

Any Chance of maybe getting this run through the new DSS tooling? I think the colours and inspiration will surely fit the styling of the sculpt.
Sounds like SP retired DSS back in the 80s. Did the recently resurrect it?
https://pimpmykeyboard.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204415935-The-Origin-of-SP-Keycap-Families

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 13:14:16 »

Show Image

Sounds like SP retired DSS back in the 80s. Did the recently resurrect it?
https://pimpmykeyboard.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204415935-The-Origin-of-SP-Keycap-Families

correct
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 13:15:27 »

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 13:25:23 »
If text mods are out of the question, is there at least a possibility for icon mod left shift, right shift, caps etc.? Wouldn't even need to be represented of the keys functions, I'd just prefer to not have keys be randomly blank if possible. Also as far as the initial question goes my personal preference would be for sculpted SA PBT (or maybe even something fun like MT3 or one of the other upcoming profiles)

Offline zslane

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 14:04:19 »
Well, it is important to understand that these keycaps are really meant to go with the custom case. The whole point of this project is to be a tribute to the Hermes Rocket typewriter which had no modifiers at all, being a manual typewriter and all. The icon mods are there to suggest the other mechanical elements of the typewriter. I figure that folks who don't dig the vibe of the icons probably don't particularly care much about the Rocket typewriter itself either, and are just looking at these keycaps as pretty green keycaps, which is not what they are all about.

As for profile and material, an earlier survey clearly showed a strong preference for SA double-shot ABS, so that's what we're going with.

Offline elfick

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 10:17:49 »

Offline zslane

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 14:41:00 »
So I have a question for the community. Which of these two product features is more important?

1. A case that can accommodate Pok3r (and Pok3r-compatible) boards?
    ...or...
2. An easily detachable cable? (i.e., detachable without opening the case)

In other words, if the industrial design of the case made it impractical to provide for both, which of the two would be more important? I guess you could answer this in two contexts: which is more important to you personally, and which do you think would be more important to the overall potential customer base?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 15:00:05 »
So I have a question for the community. Which of these two product features is more important?

1. A case that can accommodate Pok3r (and Pok3r-compatible) boards?
    ...or...
2. An easily detachable cable? (i.e., detachable without opening the case)

In other words, if the industrial design of the case made it impractical to provide for both, which of the two would be more important? I guess you could answer this in two contexts: which is more important to you personally, and which do you think would be more important to the overall potential customer base?

probably detachable cable is most important to me.  I find it harder to store my boards that have built in cables.  Looks more cluttered no matter what I do.