Author Topic: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - Shipping  (Read 248804 times)

Offline nathanchere

Re: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - Shipping
« Reply #850 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 02:47:06 »
any further news? Still just sitting here with a case.

If you have a spare/unwanted PCB and Daughterboard, I will buy it. sitting here with just a case is really sad.

Side note, anyone try the KBD8x? I don't think it shipped yet, but i am hoping. Looking for anything to get this keeb done.

If you don't find a daughterboard for a while, you could just attach a USB cable directly to the PCB temporarily.  The daughterboard is a simple pass-through piece to mount the mini USB port in the right place--it's not required for the keyboard to work.

Not above that, just wishing I could have it how it was intended. Mine didn't come with one and my board sorted out .

If you're really desperate, I have a spare plate/PCB/daughterboard. Swapping plate/PCB on this keyboard is a real hassle, so I'll probably just stick with the one I have in the keyboard. (My original plan was to have a loud clicky version and silent version and swap them out for home and work).

I have already soldered switches into it, but I've been needing to desolder them anyway since I went with too heavy of springs.

PM me if interested.

Did you test that all keys work? My concern with getting another of the original PCBs is my own has 2 dead keys and there has been such a significant failure rate across the board.

Offline Paynefactor

« Reply #851 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 09:50:25 »
Anyone have any spare brass stripes that they'd be willing to part with? I received the wrong color stripes, and didn't bother ordering spare brass stripes, so I'm looking for some replacements. Starry night grey would work too, but I'm not expecting anyone to have spares of that.

PM me if you're interested and we can work something out.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #852 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 11:31:26 »
any further news? Still just sitting here with a case.

If you have a spare/unwanted PCB and Daughterboard, I will buy it. sitting here with just a case is really sad.

Side note, anyone try the KBD8x? I don't think it shipped yet, but i am hoping. Looking for anything to get this keeb done.

If you don't find a daughterboard for a while, you could just attach a USB cable directly to the PCB temporarily.  The daughterboard is a simple pass-through piece to mount the mini USB port in the right place--it's not required for the keyboard to work.

Not above that, just wishing I could have it how it was intended. Mine didn't come with one and my board sorted out .

If you're really desperate, I have a spare plate/PCB/daughterboard. Swapping plate/PCB on this keyboard is a real hassle, so I'll probably just stick with the one I have in the keyboard. (My original plan was to have a loud clicky version and silent version and swap them out for home and work).

I have already soldered switches into it, but I've been needing to desolder them anyway since I went with too heavy of springs.

PM me if interested.

Did you test that all keys work? My concern with getting another of the original PCBs is my own has 2 dead keys and there has been such a significant failure rate across the board.

Yeah, they all worked. I messed up one of the F7 pads when desoldering though. I already worked out a deal with EvoPlatypus though if you were interested.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #853 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 11:42:08 »
Anyone have any spare brass stripes that they'd be willing to part with? I received the wrong color stripes, and didn't bother ordering spare brass stripes, so I'm looking for some replacements. Starry night grey would work too, but I'm not expecting anyone to have spares of that.

Lol I have spare starry night stripes. Send me a pic of your purple ones!

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline Paynefactor

« Reply #854 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 20:17:52 »

Lol I have spare starry night stripes. Send me a pic of your purple ones!

Thanks! I sent you a PM.

Offline neralo

« Reply #855 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 22:32:19 »
So any update on the pcb replacement situation? Or am I gonna have to get a different pcb entirely that does work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #856 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 22:45:28 »
So any update on the pcb replacement situation? Or am I gonna have to get a different pcb entirely that does work.

You might have better luck with the C3-LDN80, a TX87 PCB, or Hineybush's upcoming H87 PCB if you don't get an update from zzyjayfree!

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline neralo

« Reply #857 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 06:43:26 »

You might have better luck with the C3-LDN80, a TX87 PCB, or Hineybush's upcoming H87 PCB if you don't get an update from zzyjayfree!

Yeah im planning to go with hineys h87 if zzjayfree doesn’t get back to me in time. Though either way I’d still like a replacement pcb, simply because I paid for a working pcb, so I should get a working pcb.

HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #858 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 09:13:10 »

Yeah im planning to go with hineys h87 if zzjayfree doesn’t get back to me in time. Though either way I’d still like a replacement pcb, simply because I paid for a working pcb, so I should get a working pcb.

I would think it's moreso eve who **** the bed on this one, and I would guess lack of updates from zzjayfree reflect that.
I would still appreciate even just a confirmation of that though.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #859 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 05:04:07 »
We understand that there are a couple of issues with the PCB and the is nothing close to ideal at all. We have found a much better source as PCB solutions of future GB on geekhack or rmm, if there's any.. With the new born coming in Aug, I'll be pretty busy. We'll see.

Again, sorry about the imperfection. I've found a US proxy, and you can send the faulty parts to the proxy and then they will be forwarded to EVE in China. Same thing when the parts come back. I'll send each buyer with issue(s) once I'm done.

Thank you for your patience.

Is there any better avenue of contacting EVE about this directly perhaps? Since I guess you are not going to be any less pressed for time when Project Newborn drops.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #860 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 14:52:37 »
Is there a plan to make a 60% or 65% Moon anytime soon?

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #861 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 03:41:23 »
don't think so

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #862 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 22:14:42 »
don't think so

correct

not in the cards at all
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline EVE

• Outstanding because of professionalism
« Reply #863 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 22:28:29 »
Yes, I will finish all the progress in progress. There is moon 65% 60 now. :thumb:
Designer and Manufacture of Metro, Nebula, Taichi, Plant(ICing), Moon.
Manufacture of Mira, MiraSE, Moon, Tank, Canoe, Canoe2, CanoeFE, Volt, Lite, Kira 80%, Kira Pad, Keycult 02, Ares HHKB, Evil 80, Evil 82, Evil 96,EQUALZ Zero 80%, EQUALZ 104, Origin 80%........

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #864 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 22:32:50 »
Yes, I will finish all the progress in progress. There is moon 65% 60 now. :thumb:

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Offline EVE

« Reply #865 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 22:39:42 »
I like this style very much, but ZZ doesn't know who sent it to me. I feel lucky to have done a few samples, but I like it very much. I don't know what you think, very close to the MiraSE keypad.
Manufacture of Mira, MiraSE, Moon, Tank, Canoe, Canoe2, CanoeFE, Volt, Lite, Kira 80%, Kira Pad, Keycult 02, Ares HHKB, Evil 80, Evil 82, Evil 96,EQUALZ Zero 80%, EQUALZ 104, Origin 80%........

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #866 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 22:42:28 »
I like this style very much, but ZZ doesn't know who sent it to me. I feel lucky to have done a few samples, but I like it very much. I don't know what you think, very close to the MiraSE keypad.

EVE, this seems to be the interest check for that keyboard: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90194.0

I always like HHKB layout boards, and I do like the side profile of that. There's always quite a few HHKB layout boards coming out each year, though. Speaking of the MIRA SE keypad, I hope that happens soon so I can have it next to my MIRA SE. :thumb:

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #867 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 22:45:12 »

EVE, this seems to be the interest check for that keyboard: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90194.0

I always like HHKB layout boards, and I do like the side profile of that. There's always quite a few HHKB layout boards coming out each year, though. Speaking of the MIRA SE keypad, I hope that happens soon so I can have it next to my MIRA SE. :thumb:

Hey, I designed that. The project just sort of fizzled out, last I heard there was issues with the PCB?
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 July 2018, 22:47:32 by hineybush »

Offline EVE

« Reply #868 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 22:58:12 »
Yes PCB is problematic but we have my brother C3 support should not be a problem. We will redesign with the RGB board and send some photos including the anode ~ thank you brothers. This is my mail 8182338@qq.com I will pass some anodized photos to you hoping that you don't give up the design very well Z ;D ;D ;D

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #869 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 23:07:42 »
Can we get more 75%?

Offline breitling

« Reply #870 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 17:05:27 »
My board was reset when I received it and I never touched the reset button.. but went through the trouble of re-programming it Kimera with the instructions here so I could test it... only to find two dead keys... Argh... then I took a real close look at the diodes on those two keys and noticed that they looked like the left contacts were not touching the pads because the diode was installed too far to the left and it missed the pad so I re-soldered the two Diodes and boom - now working! Took me a few months to get around to building this board but finally looks like I can do it.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #871 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 17:15:52 »
My board was reset when I received it and I never touched the reset button.. but went through the trouble of re-programming it Kimera with the instructions here so I could test it... only to find two dead keys... Argh... then I took a real close look at the diodes on those two keys and noticed that they looked like the left contacts were not touching the pads because the diode was installed too far to the left and it missed the pad so I re-soldered the two Diodes and boom - now working! Took me a few months to get around to building this board but finally looks like I can do it.

Fantastic news! Did you manage to program it alright using the guides that have been provided?

I hope the build goes well!

Offline breitling

« Reply #872 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 22:43:15 »

Fantastic news! Did you manage to program it alright using the guides that have been provided?

I hope the build goes well!

I did follow the guides, and they helped immensely. Done this many times before but it never seems to stick lol. Thanks a bunch for the help!

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #873 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 02:12:48 »

Maybe could address all the people with issues with the PCB for the last buy before starting yet another moon project? :/
Still the most expensive paperweight I own.

Offline EVE

« Reply #874 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 02:43:40 »
Sorry brother actually PCB I paid the most expensive cost of production cost making the most failure cost, I understand everyone's mood, but I will use the most love heart to solve the problem, I have received the ZZ after sale list including the miraSE has been arranged in the process of the new express to you old iron.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #875 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 02:45:35 »
Sorry brother actually PCB I paid the most expensive cost of production cost making the most failure cost, I understand everyone's mood, but I will use the most love heart to solve the problem, I have received the ZZ after sale list including the miraSE has been arranged in the process of the new express to you old iron.
Thank you EVE for addressing this. I hope this is all taken care of soon.

Offline Pendylan

« Reply #876 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 21:45:32 »
Hey, sorry I'm super late to this, but I just got the chance to start building and I can't get the computer to recognize either of the 2 PCBs I got.  Am I doing something wrong, or are the PCB issues that common?  I only received 1 daughterboard, so that could be what's not working, it's hard to test that though.  I'm pretty new at this though so any help would be really appreciated it.

I just soldered the USB connector wires to the PCB like in the pics posted in this thread and plugged it into the PC.  No usb device detected with either board.  Here is a pic of my soldering the daughterboard:
200326-0200328-1

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #877 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 21:49:01 »
Hey, sorry I'm super late to this, but I just got the chance to start building and I can't get the computer to recognize either of the 2 PCBs I got.  Am I doing something wrong, or are the PCB issues that common?  I only received 1 daughterboard, so that could be what's not working, it's hard to test that though.  I'm pretty new at this though so any help would be really appreciated it.

I just soldered the USB connector wires to the PCB like in the pics posted in this thread and plugged it into the PC.  No usb device detected with either board.  Here is a pic of my soldering the daughterboard:
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Try pressing the RESET button on the bottom of the PCB. It should be near the spacebar holes. Do this while the PCB is connected.

Offline Pendylan

« Reply #878 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 22:18:13 »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Try pressing the RESET button on the bottom of the PCB. It should be near the spacebar holes. Do this while the PCB is connected.

Thank you for the help Lightning.  I gave it a shot but unfortunately neither of the PCBs were detected even after hitting the reset button while plugged in.

Offline Pendylan

« Reply #879 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 22:17:26 »
I'm hoping I've found the problem with my PCB's, but I'm not sure what to look for to fix it though..  All of the pcbs I've worked on have been pre-soldered, and when I looked back swangful's photo I noticed his PCB had a red box below the daughterboard connection point that mine don't have.  Is this an additional part that I need to get from somewhere and install on the pcb before it will work, or should it have come already installed or with the board?  I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm just really hoping to get this board to work.

some photos to illustrate my meaning:
Swangful's pcb:
200373-0

my pcbs
200375-1

Offline poolside

« Reply #880 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 02:52:32 »
I'm hoping I've found the problem with my PCB's, but I'm not sure what to look for to fix it though..  All of the pcbs I've worked on have been pre-soldered, and when I looked back swangful's photo I noticed his PCB had a red box below the daughterboard connection point that mine don't have.  Is this an additional part that I need to get from somewhere and install on the pcb before it will work, or should it have come already installed or with the board?  I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm just really hoping to get this board to work.

Swangful's pcb:
(Attachment Link)

my pcbs
(Attachment Link)

One of my PCBs is also missing that tiny red board. It has the controller and the PCB won't work without it. It should have come pre-soldered.

Offline swangful

« Reply #881 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 10:46:48 »

Swangful's pcb:
(Attachment Link)

my pcbs
(Attachment Link)

Oh boy...it should have come with them pre-soldered.

Offline Pendylan

« Reply #882 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 10:09:05 »

Swangful's pcb:
(Attachment Link)

my pcbs
(Attachment Link)

Thank you for the replies swangful and poolside.  That's a pretty big bummer, but at least I can stop messing with it now that I know they're duds.  I've already sent ZZ a pm about the dead PCBs, but in case that doesn't pan out, has anyone found a good alternative pcb that works with the moon daughterboard so we can use a detachable cable?

Offline swangful

« Reply #883 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 18:01:15 »

Swangful's pcb:
(Attachment Link)

my pcbs
(Attachment Link)

Thank you for the replies swangful and poolside.  That's a pretty big bummer, but at least I can stop messing with it now that I know they're duds.  I've already sent ZZ a pm about the dead PCBs, but in case that doesn't pan out, has anyone found a good alternative pcb that works with the moon daughterboard so we can use a detachable cable?

This is an option https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95713.0

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #884 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 04:41:40 »
Looks like that closed over a month ago. Even then:

* would need to de-solder the mini-USB connector to connect the daughterboard to fit the case
* no detail on what is meant by 'programmable' - yet another closed-source firmware PCB is really not appealing at this level.

Other than for those two points it looks really appealing if they do another round, but I'm still maintaining hope for a resolution through zz and/or EVE.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #885 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 07:05:13 »
Looks like that closed over a month ago. Even then:

* would need to de-solder the mini-USB connector to connect the daughterboard to fit the case
* no detail on what is meant by 'programmable' - yet another closed-source firmware PCB is really not appealing at this level.

Other than for those two points it looks really appealing if they do another round, but I'm still maintaining hope for a resolution through zz and/or EVE.
Hineybush's tkl PCB would work too, and that's QMK

Offline EVE

« Reply #886 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 02:25:26 »
PCB has contacted the manufacturer to re customize, the process needs a point time arrow color problem has been in the oxidation process, MiraSE I mended 5 sets of keyboard including copper weight people do not need to re - fill the express, my side everything is ready to make up for the needs of everyone. I'll be here forever. Thank you for understanding and tolerance.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #887 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 08:01:56 »
PCB has contacted the manufacturer to re customize, the process needs a point time arrow color problem has been in the oxidation process, MiraSE I mended 5 sets of keyboard including copper weight people do not need to re - fill the express, my side everything is ready to make up for the needs of everyone. I'll be here forever. Thank you for understanding and tolerance.
I'm still waiting for a black WKL top. When will the machined pieces be done?

Offline darthzero

« Reply #888 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 16:20:48 »
Pardon me for not reading through the 18 pages, is there a chance for a round 2? Most beautiful tkl to date imho.
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #889 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 22:29:13 »
Pardon me for not reading through the 18 pages, is there a chance for a round 2? Most beautiful tkl to date imho.

probably not gonna happen
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #890 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 10:16:05 »

probably not gonna happen

This was already a round 2. The first was China-only.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #891 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:28:57 »
Any word on replacement PCBs?

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #892 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 00:43:33 »
Any word on replacement PCBs?

zzjayfree was looking into it apparently but haven't heard anything for nearly 2 months now:

We understand that there are a couple of issues with the PCB and the is nothing close to ideal at all. We have found a much better source as PCB solutions of future GB on geekhack or rmm, if there's any.. With the new born coming in Aug, I'll be pretty busy. We'll see.

Again, sorry about the imperfection. I've found a US proxy, and you can send the faulty parts to the proxy and then they will be forwarded to EVE in China. Same thing when the parts come back. I'll send each buyer with issue(s) once I'm done.

Thank you for your patience.

EVE has gotten involved in the thread directly which is somewhat reassuring but the latest is still very vague:

Quote from: EVE
PCB has contacted the manufacturer to re customize

There has been talk of a few options for an aftermarket PCB but one of those group buys has closed already and I'm not aware of any others in progress yet. So for now we're still stuck on the dark side of the Moon.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #893 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 10:10:29 »

There has been talk of a few options for an aftermarket PCB but one of those group buys has closed already and I'm not aware of any others in progress yet. So for now we're still stuck on the dark side of the Moon.

Don't really want to hijack but since my project has been mentioned in the thread before, this exists and will go for sale in 2-ish weeks: http://shop.hineybush.com/product/h87a

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #894 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 15:45:09 »

Don't really want to hijack but since my project has been mentioned in the thread before, this exists and will go for sale in 2-ish weeks: http://shop.hineybush.com/product/h87a

I will probably hope on even though I have a working PCB purely for the QMK. Since there are quite a few of us who need a PCB, will there be an option of no usb port soldered?

Cheers

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #895 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 08:18:45 »
Since there are quite a few of us who need a PCB, will there be an option of no usb port soldered?

Explicitly mentioned under Specs:

Pins to solder a daughter board on (Moon TKL, for example)

and

Breakaway USB port for cases that use USB daughterboards
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 August 2018, 08:21:57 by nathanchere »

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #896 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 09:22:39 »
Since there are quite a few of us who need a PCB, will there be an option of no usb port soldered?

Explicitly mentioned under Specs:

Pins to solder a daughter board on (Moon TKL, for example)

and

Breakaway USB port for cases that use USB daughterboards

This guy reads the product description

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #897 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 02:47:35 »
PCB has contacted the manufacturer to re customize, the process needs a point time

Is there even a vague idea when this is going to progress? Is there anything actually happening or is it more "we sent them an email" and could still be talking many months? This group buy was supposed to be finished production nearly a year ago now :/

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #898 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 16:17:28 »
Does anyone happen to have the following info on screw sizes:
  • Dimensions of screws that connect the switch plate to the top part of the case
  • Dimensions of screws that connect the bottom weight insert into the bottom
  • Dimensions for the bolts that connect the top and bottom halves of the case (not sure if front ones are longer than rear)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #899 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 06:07:47 »
EVE? zzjayfree? Any idea wtf is going on re: PCB replacement?