Author Topic: [WTS]{PAYPAL}IBM Model M SSK Blue(40+), White(10); FSK Blue(4), White(4)  (Read 64411 times)

Offline 002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Topre Enthusiast
Re: [WTS]{PAYPAL}IBM Model M SSK Blue(40+), White(10); FSK Blue(4), White(4)
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 21:04:41 »
I feel for you, but I am sure you can appreciate the dilemma. If it was open to anyone, then there likely would have been a flood of new accounts made simply to take advantage of the reasonable price these are being sold for, just to flip it later for a profit.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 23:28:13 »
I'm updating the list and going to update the original post in the next hour.  If you check and it's been updated make sure you are on there and the information is correct.

I'll add this to the OP as well:  If you are outside the USA, several people have found remailers that are far cheaper than what I'm able to ship for. It's running about $80USD to ship to Canada and $90+ to ship to other countries. The remailers run about 20-40 and that is a huge savings. If those of you that have used one or looked into it could chime in to help the others I would greatly appreciate it. My goal here was to get as many of thee into the hands of fellow clackers as affordably as possible and that shipping is killing the dreams of some and it's pissing me off.

I looked in to DHL but they want me to have a corporate account in order to even get a quote so if anyone has other thoughts please let us know.
Didn't see my name on the list.  :'(

As far as shipping.  UPS does have daily rates for those that ship high volume.  If you want to PM me a source and destination address I can check if the UPS daily rates are better than $80.  If they are, UPS is really good about setting up accounts on daily rates--you just got to get in touch with a local sales rep.  :thumb:  With about 100+ shipments going out the door in the next month or two, I think you should qualify for daily rates.  Just don't let them think you have only a finite project here.  ;)

Also to add, I wouldn't bother with DHL as they're better at International Air which will be expensive.  Their ground service was absolutely atrocious when we tried them out, even worse than Fedex ground.

Offline Darkblade48

« Reply #202 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 05:48:04 »
I've been on the fence about this one for so long, but let's go for it. If there are any left, I'd love to have one. I'm not particular about the label, and I already have cables.

It just seems a bit unfair, is all. There's nothing stopping an older member from reselling the SSK of course.

Also, it seems like waiting for a SDK to PS/2 cable (or the USB converter) just puts you at a disadvantage. This is because users that choose to ship immediately (without the cable) would get priority, allowing them to jump queue in front of others

Offline bmmcwhirt

• Trade Count: (1)
    • KB9YEN
« Reply #203 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 13:45:53 »
How exactly is the updated list working now? It seems like users that joined prior to the starting date of this thread that have requested an SSK later than others get higher priority?

My name seems to keep getting bumped further and further down the list (getting bumped by users that requested an SSK at a later date than myself, but have an earlier Geekhack join date)

I believe he's selling first to people with accounts pre-dating the original thread. Once that group is all shipped, he'll sell the remainders to new comers. Like fohat said, it's all about giving back to a loyal community and protected against deal-hunters / resellers.

This is exactly correct. Right now there will be enough Blue label to cover the list. The biggest problem is finding this box of cables. Moving some of the stuff to look for them is difficult as some boxes have been sitting for 20 years in non-climate controlled so the boxes just fall apart.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #204 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 13:51:57 »
How exactly is the updated list working now? It seems like users that joined prior to the starting date of this thread that have requested an SSK later than others get higher priority?

My name seems to keep getting bumped further and further down the list (getting bumped by users that requested an SSK at a later date than myself, but have an earlier Geekhack join date)

I believe he's selling first to people with accounts pre-dating the original thread. Once that group is all shipped, he'll sell the remainders to new comers. Like fohat said, it's all about giving back to a loyal community and protected against deal-hunters / resellers.

With new people keep coming in who registered before the og thread, I am afraid all recent registered like myself would never get the board at all...Was 13 on the list, now got bumped all the way to 34. I am quite sure there would be no white for me, may be no cable, nothing probably. Just sad to think about...

At this point there are still enough boards to cover the list but Monday I'm going to have an exact number and we will stop taking requests at that number and start a new overflow list. My biggest concern right now is working out all the cables.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #205 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 14:29:55 »
Here is some more information on shipping.  We are using the USPS Flat Rate game box. Sam box we will use even if we ship UPS. Weight is between 4 and 5lb I forget the exact weight.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c334

CA Price for the Flat Rate is $59.95. I'm not fiding what the other zones are on my quick search but this give you an idea of the sipping cost.

Large Flat Rate Boxes
(max wt. 20 lbs.)
12" x 12" x 5-1/2" Inside
12-1/4" x 12-1/4" x 6" Outside
23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" Inside
24-1/16" x 11-7/8" x 3-1/8" Outside

1[CA]: $59.95   2: $86.95   3: $88.95   4: $86.95   5: $90.95   6: $95.95   7: $89.95   8: $93.95

I'm happy to ship to international however is best. For domestic the flat rate is just the easiest option for us so we are ok eating the price even though many locations could be shipped a few dollars cheaper. Origin zip code is 46952.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #206 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 09:41:41 »
This isn't meant as a brag or anything, but mine arrived today and I had to share. It came clean and fully functional. Shipping was speedy, and it was packaged pretty damn well for someone who has to ship 30+ of these suckers. 10/10 would buy another should everyone get theirs.

Consider this a thank you note. I couldn't be happier with this purchase. Bmmcwhirt, you really should get some gh flair for doing this. :thumb:

Now I'm off to go write my Xmodmap for a wkl board.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline enchong

« Reply #207 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 09:58:13 »
I hope I can still have a chance of getting this. I'm just a new member. Please don't forget about me when you still got extra SSK PS2/usb left.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #208 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 17:52:16 »
AS OF 11/27/2017    I am taking no more interested parties.

I want to get the list correct and get these taken care of before we go any further[I always for get if this counts as distance or existential but I'm using further anyway].

I'm updating the list in a few min so lets keep new posts to corrections and changes or other important matters. Then after this I'll evaluate how many are left.

If I need to make corrections, please post the correction in the same format as the list with all the fields.

GOOD NEWS!

We are close enough to the 30 marker on USB cables that I am going to cover any needed to bring it to 30 which means the price will also be $30.00 not $32.50.  orihalcon has also informed me that you can have your choice of beige or black cable on the USB cables. I am going to assume beige unless I get a correction. If you are still listed as PS2 and wish to switch to USB that is fine just make the post in the proper format with USB/Black or USB/Beige . if your listed as just USB it's assumed beige.

Offline ReadmeDotTxt

« Reply #209 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 18:58:21 »
Thanks for the update! I'm really looking forward to my first ssk. I appreciate all of your hard work :)

Offline reccatyo

« Reply #210 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 21:37:04 »
Thank you for covering the cables so it can go as low as $30. :D

USB/Beige is the one for this keyboard, black cable seems to be too modern.  ;D

Is there an estimation when it will be delivered?. Can't wait for your PM.

Once again thank you for all of your hard work. :thumb:

Offline Darkblade48

« Reply #211 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 07:14:42 »
Good news for those that want the USB converter!

Are there any updates for the SDL to PS/2 cables?

Edit: For remailers: Vpost (to Singapore), EzBuy (Singapore), ComGateway (anywhere) are some remailers I've looked into
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 November 2017, 07:18:33 by Darkblade48 »

Offline supamesican

« Reply #212 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 07:45:22 »
Awesome! the hype is real

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #213 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 08:49:09 »
Great news! Will folks who have already received their SSK be able to still purchase a USB cable?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tron

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 09:49:28 »
Thanks for covering the extra cables, beige sounds great.  Can't wait to try out my first model M.

Offline Ir0n

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 10:08:58 »
Thanks for covering the extra cables, beige sounds great.  Can't wait to try out my first model M.

Your first is going to be an SSK? Good way to pop your cherry lol :p

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #216 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 12:44:41 »
if any one has an extra q key please let me know.  Mine came with two o's

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #217 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 13:49:01 »

I can take care of that for you, It was probably my mistake anyway. If your in no hurry it will probably be a few days, maybe a week before I can sort out all the extra caps.

Offline Ir0n

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 12:02:42 »
Got mine in yesterday.
Cleaned it up and replaced the caps with single piece caps..couldn't find my f11 >:( so i just put a f5 on it out of anger.
Thanks for the great deal :^) it looks great in my quickly growing IBM collection.

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #219 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 12:52:25 »

I can take care of that for you, It was probably my mistake anyway. If your in no hurry it will probably be a few days, maybe a week before I can sort out all the extra caps.
awesome thanks so much, I don't mind waiting. 

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #220 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 10:23:34 »
Working out the final details with orihalcon and I should have an ETA for all of you with USB cables.

Once I have the ETA and details worked out I will invoice.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #221 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 10:25:21 »
Great news! Will folks who have already received their SSK be able to still purchase a USB cable?

Absolutely, just let me know that you officially want one.

Offline reccatyo

« Reply #222 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 12:46:26 »
Working out the final details with orihalcon and I should have an ETA for all of you with USB cables.

Once I have the ETA and details worked out I will invoice.

Horay, please invoice ASAP once you have the ETA so I could pay and it could be shipped ASAP too.  :thumb:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #223 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 19:19:17 »
Here is some more information on shipping.  We are using the USPS Flat Rate game box. Sam box we will use even if we ship UPS. Weight is between 4 and 5lb I forget the exact weight.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c334

CA Price for the Flat Rate is $59.95. I'm not fiding what the other zones are on my quick search but this give you an idea of the sipping cost.

Large Flat Rate Boxes
(max wt. 20 lbs.)
12" x 12" x 5-1/2" Inside
12-1/4" x 12-1/4" x 6" Outside
23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" Inside
24-1/16" x 11-7/8" x 3-1/8" Outside

1[CA]: $59.95   2: $86.95   3: $88.95   4: $86.95   5: $90.95   6: $95.95   7: $89.95   8: $93.95

I'm happy to ship to international however is best. For domestic the flat rate is just the easiest option for us so we are ok eating the price even though many locations could be shipped a few dollars cheaper. Origin zip code is 46952.
Holy cow that's crazy shipping prices from usps.  :eek:

I just ran a quote in UPS on a 13x13x6 11lb package insured to $200 and with signature required delivery from 35816 (Huntsville, AL) to 90069 (Los Angeles, CA) and it's quoting me $10.38 for UPS ground (the cheap end--still guaranteed in 5 days) and only $56.70 for next day air by 10:30a (the fastest service--also guaranteed).  If you need help with getting on board with UPS, feel free to ask, but I think it would be a worthwhile investment, not only for a reduction of shipping costs, but also because UPS's workflow is pretty slick (templates, etc) on their website.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #224 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 19:26:38 »
Awesome work!  Glad to see the great photos of the new homes for these lovelies.  :thumb:

I don't know if you've got this noted elsewhere, but I wanted both a ps2 (with a large built-in ferrite if you find one) as well as the usb.  The table above only has me for a usb.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #225 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 00:48:36 »
Awesome work!  Glad to see the great photos of the new homes for these lovelies.  :thumb:

I don't know if you've got this noted elsewhere, but I wanted both a ps2 (with a large built-in ferrite if you find one) as well as the usb.  The table above only has me for a usb.

It's not necessary as everyone who gets a USB has the option to pay the shipping only on the ps2 when I find them. You also have the option of having it all shipped together but it's possible it could be spring before Im able to get through all 5 storage locations as there are boxes stacked 8-15 foot high in some of them and as much as 25 feet deep. My friend/former boss who actually owns all this stuff has acquired all this through 4 businesses he's owned or worked at over the past 30-40 years as well as some auction buys.

As far as UPS goes, I would have to source boxes  as they will not allow me to use the USPS boxes. They have specifically told me so. So that ads about $5 to the shipping rate you are talking about. It's still cheaper yes, but here where I am getting boxes is much harder as they just closed the Staples so I would have to order boxes and pay shipping on those and that all ads up to the point where the USPS is about the same with less hassle but yes far worse tracking logistics (which everyone loves UPS for their amazing tracking). I have looked at several options and when you run all the numbers not just the surface shipping cost they all come out about the same. Unfortunately USPS is the easiest for me.

Once we have Off-Key off the ground all orders will be shipped UPS no matter what just because of the amazing logistics they have, that is if they quit trying to force me to use Windows to automate my shipping process! That will be a deal breaker as their scale, printer, software combination is Windows only at this time.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #226 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 03:04:40 »
A few of you had missing or wrong caps.  These are the two I know about. If someone is missing or has the wrong cap so far let me know.

I will triple check future shipments to try to prevent this.

hamilton:  "< ," key

afrokobe: "Q" key

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 09:41:36 »

It's not necessary as everyone who gets a USB has the option to pay the shipping only on the ps2 when I find them. You also have the option of having it all shipped together but it's possible it could be spring before Im able to get through all 5 storage locations as there are boxes stacked 8-15 foot high in some of them and as much as 25 feet deep. My friend/former boss who actually owns all this stuff has acquired all this through 4 businesses he's owned or worked at over the past 30-40 years as well as some auction buys.

As far as UPS goes, I would have to source boxes  as they will not allow me to use the USPS boxes. They have specifically told me so. So that ads about $5 to the shipping rate you are talking about. It's still cheaper yes, but here where I am getting boxes is much harder as they just closed the Staples so I would have to order boxes and pay shipping on those and that all ads up to the point where the USPS is about the same with less hassle but yes far worse tracking logistics (which everyone loves UPS for their amazing tracking). I have looked at several options and when you run all the numbers not just the surface shipping cost they all come out about the same. Unfortunately USPS is the easiest for me.

Once we have Off-Key off the ground all orders will be shipped UPS no matter what just because of the amazing logistics they have, that is if they quit trying to force me to use Windows to automate my shipping process! That will be a deal breaker as their scale, printer, software combination is Windows only at this time.
I don't mind waiting until spring to ship everything together.  :cool:  I know I'll probably one of the exceptions in this regard though.  It's a tremendous job you've got in front of you, especially with the weather now.  And if I end up making a trip to Indiana to visit some in-laws, I'll give you a heads up in case you want some free labor.  :thumb:

Thank you for the detailed reply on the shipping challenges.  Tell me what the ideal box is and let me see if I can find it for you.  I dealt with this problem regularly when I owned an auto parts distributorship, so I know some good places to get such materials and on the cheap.  (We were lucky enough to have a furniture distributorship right down the street and they would throw away a whole driveaway dumpster of packing material each week.  We would dumpster dive there about once every 6 months and have everything we needed.)  So far in my initial quick searches, I can get you a 13x13x6 box for $1.50/ea shipped (I put in an LA zip code for the shipping, so that might vary depending on where it needs to go).  I wouldn't mind even purchasing what you need for you and then you can just credit what I owe you for my ssk.  :thumb:  (If you need packing and the tape dispenser I can even get those for you.)

We actually never used UPS's scale, printer, or, software.  We had a simple bathroom scale and rounded up by 1lb, and just used the website with a login for our account.  We printed the 'labels' on a regular laser printer and just taped them on the box.  Worked like clockwork.  I'll try to see how the website works on my wife's mac as I'm sure it would basically be the same thing.  :thumb:  I'll let you know.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #228 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 09:45:01 »
I just checked on my wife's Macbook 2011 running 10.12 and it's the exact same--you can print the 'label' to just a regular printer and tape it on the box.  :thumb:

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #229 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 14:55:55 »
Only just saw this so I'm too late, but just wanted to say this is a pretty amazing thread.  I would like to think I would do the same, but I dunno that I actually would have made the same choice to sell these for way under typical pricing and then even cover the extra cables to save people some more money. 

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #230 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 21:30:19 »
The plan is to start invoicing those of you with USB cables this week. The cables have already been started on but I don't have an ETA yet. I should have a better idea when he gets back with me to let me know how fast they are being produced. Keep in mind he does this in his spare time. I'll send out messages asking for emails soon, but if you want to get ahead of me send a PM with your number in the list and the email you want the paypal invoice to goto. I'll start adding that to the spreadsheet, I'll be using Avery software to help me sort the addresses and print labels. I use offline software so your personal information wont be in the cloud and susceptible to hacks. I know your info is out ther eon paypal and stuff but I'm a bit of a security advocate so that's me.

Offline bminhz

« Reply #231 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 22:12:38 »
pm sent

Offline reccatyo

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 23:28:01 »
PM sent :)

Offline typischt

« Reply #233 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 00:07:40 »
pm sent

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline Lord Lamington

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 02:07:31 »
Damn! So bummed I missed this.
Good luck with it all  :)
Let me know if you have any spares on your hands that you need to get rid of  :p

Offline tron

« Reply #235 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 15:29:50 »
pm sent

Offline zenless

« Reply #236 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 15:33:06 »
sent a pm

Offline supamesican

« Reply #237 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 09:36:32 »
pm sent =D

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #238 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 05:00:19 »
Requests have been set to everyone who has not already sent me you paypal info.  If you have not received one and have not already sent me your info then check the information in the list that you are listed on the USB list and then contact me with details.

I'm working on a solution for those of you wanting PS2 cables but it will be after the new year if it happens, if not it's going to be spring before the weather is suitable for me to be out in barns and sheds looking for cables. You all still have the option to get USB or source your own cable, but I should know in the next week if I'm going to be able to source the original SDL cables.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #239 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 06:38:19 »
I cannot see the list. Could be that I'm on tapatalk. I'll try to get to a real computer soon but I'm in the boonies of SE Asia so might be a few days. Pls don't give mine away.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #240 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 10:46:18 »
I cannot see the list. Could be that I'm on tapatalk. I'll try to get to a real computer soon but I'm in the boonies of SE Asia so might be a few days. Pls don't give mine away.

I'm sorry your connection is weak, if I read that correctly you said give yours away to a charity?   :)   Just kidding.

The list is in the OP. Here is what your status looks like:
8   heedpantsnow   12/21/10   Blue   USB

Offline typischt

« Reply #241 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 11:10:07 »
Can corfirm, the OP is kinda weird and incomplete on tapatalk. You‘ll have to check the site via mobile browser or an a computer.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #242 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 13:24:41 »
PM sent.

I'm still listed as blue label btw. I'm not sure if this is fixed in your offline list, but it's still not showing white in the OP. Thanks!
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline enchong

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 07:25:23 »
PM Sent. By the way, I would like also to request a USB cable if possible. Thanks.

Offline Darkblade48

« Reply #244 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 07:59:14 »
Just to clarify, do you want everyone on the list to send you a PM with their Paypal e-mail and address, or only the ones that are in the 'main' list (and not the flow through)?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 18:02:06 »
Just to clarify, do you want everyone on the list to send you a PM with their Paypal e-mail and address, or only the ones that are in the 'main' list (and not the flow through)?
I'm wondering about this too. It seems you've been focused on the cables, but are you also collecting information for the next round of keyboard invoices as well?

Offline cptbryan

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 09:12:30 »
I am interested in SSK.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 09:48:16 »
I am interested in SSK.

Makes an account. Ignores the entire forum, but comes straight to this thread. Ignored all of OP, and does nothing but post "Interested in an SSK".

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 00:04:17 »

Only people who are getting USB cables, but BOTH LISTS for those getting the USB Cable. The caveat is that those in the second half have to forego their chance at the white label, but it wouldn't matter as there are more people wanting white labels than I have. So if you are on the list at all and listed for USB or want a USB cable then you should contact me.

If you do contact me I need your number in the list, your paypaly email addy and if you are in the US or not.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #249 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 00:06:08 »
I am interested in SSK.

Makes an account. Ignores the entire forum, but comes straight to this thread. Ignored all of OP, and does nothing but post "Interested in an SSK".

Show Image

Show Image

Had he read he would know that there was already a cutoff.