Author Topic: [IC] GMK Paper (Black on White) [GMK Renders In]  (Read 48088 times)

Offline silversung

Re: [IC] GMK Paper (Black on White) [GMK Renders In]
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 19:15:44 »
This is so clean and lovely, I really need this. It could go with literally any board. Let's make this happen, please!

Offline DocNoc

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 22:52:57 »
Wondering about the cost on this one. Any updates?

Offline zumu

• Professional Typist
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 23:40:24 »
Glad to see continued support for the set!

The raw quotes from GMK looked very reasonable -- which makes sense given we are using only stock colors. I'm hesitant to release any $ amount until I can properly account for things like holding and distribution. To that end, I've reached out to a couple potential vendors to try to get things rolling again.

I thank everyone for their patience :bow:

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 09:38:12 »

The raw quotes from GMK looked very reasonable -- which makes sense given we are using only stock colors. I'm hesitant to release any $ amount until I can properly account for things like holding and distribution. To that end, I've reached out to a couple potential vendors to try to get things rolling again.

Thanks dude! Looking forward to getting my hands on this set.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline vtachkov

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 10:10:39 »
I'm excited to see this moving forward.

Offline runningngunning

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 11:01:35 »
Definitely on board, this would match well to so many different keysets. Thinking GMK metaverse.

Offline txclack

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 12:00:23 »

Great to hear and you can count me in.  Finally, we get a proper pure black on pure white set.  I was hesitant to get into Monochrome due to it being WS2 - very glad you kept with WS1.  Having a GMK color ring on hand, I can state that WS1 is a pure white vs WS2 being more of a "smokers" white.

I'm on board!  :thumb:

Offline Lormania

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 12:07:28 »

Great to hear and you can count me in.  Finally, we get a proper pure black on pure white set.  I was hesitant to get into Monochrome due to it being WS2 - very glad you kept with WS1.  Having a GMK color ring on hand, I can state that WS1 is a pure white vs WS2 being more of a "smokers" white.

What does "smokers" white mean? Every photo I have seen has WS2 looking shades more white than WS1.

Offline txclack

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 12:11:47 »
WS2 has a slight tint to it where as WS1 is more of a pure white.  Very hard to see the difference unless you have a WS1 and WS2 key side by side.

When I get off work, I can take a picture and show you the difference and you can see what I mean.

Offline txclack

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 12:25:40 »

What does "smokers" white mean? Every photo I have seen has WS2 looking shades more white than WS1.

I found a picture off my cellphone that I had previously taken.  Please consider the lighting.

https://i.imgur.com/lXATSx0.jpg

If you notice, WS2 is slightly off-white.  If you aren't convinced, I'll take a picture with natural lighting when I get home and with a better camera than a cellphone camera.

Offline Lormania

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 12:53:47 »

I found a picture off my cellphone that I had previously taken.  Please consider the lighting.

If you notice, WS2 is slightly off-white.  If you aren't convinced, I'll take a picture with natural lighting when I get home and with a better camera than a cellphone camera.

Thank you for the photo. I still see WS1 as more off white but I personally haven't seen the two side by side. I appreciate your input!

Offline Koatl

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 16:10:13 »
Thought I read WS2 was created to be a brighter white. I think they're both a bit off-white though, at least from what I've seen online. WS1 toward the bone/cream side, WS2 toward the blue side. I haven't seen WS2 in person though.

Would anyone be able to give feedback on that? I wonder if this set would be better in WS2. Might be too late to even consider that though.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline txclack

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 18:45:55 »

Thank you for the photo. I still see WS1 as more off white but I personally haven't seen the two side by side. I appreciate your input!

Here you go:

https://imgur.com/a/wIBcYPV

Pictures are unedited.

Koatl is correct.  WS1 does lean more toward cream and WS2 leans more toward blue.  Both slightly.  I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion on which one is "whiter".  I guess its about perception? 

Anyway, hope the photos help!

Offline silversung

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 18:50:49 »
To me WS1 feels warm, and WS2 cool. Personal preference, WS1 hands down.
Can't wait to get in on the GB!

Offline Koatl

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 19:01:00 »
Yeah based on that, I think WS1 is better. It will be more consistent with GMK Originative as well, which I'll be mixing this set with.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline ashwinv11

• give me foog
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 19:43:44 »
Yeah based on that, I think WS1 is better. It will be more consistent with GMK Originative as well, which I'll be mixing this set with.

Same here :thumb:

Offline runningngunning

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 16:23:19 »
Any updates on this?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 00:04:29 »
+1 for updates please!

Offline HOBI3CAT

• FraktalKaps.com
    • Fraktal Kaps Website
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 13:42:28 »
+2 for updates!  ;D
Eat, Sleep, Resin, Repeat.

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 13:44:56 »
I too would be eager for an update!

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 11:35:33 »
I would be in for the accent kit, but I already have BoW

Offline zumu

• Professional Typist
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 14:48:51 »
Currently trying to find a vendor, I will be back with updates once that happens!

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 15:31:58 »
Awesome! Glad to hear this one is still planned!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 21:19:22 »
I like the printer theme :thumb:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline zap2oz

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 16:46:42 »
Definitely in for the base set at least if this makes it to GB.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 20:31:11 »
CMY Spacebars instead of the novelties for me.

Offline AaronR

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 22:40:37 »
is it possible for Dailyclack to proxy for Australia?

Offline runningngunning

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 13:40:28 »
monthly check in on this keyset - crossing my fingers it makes it to GB!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 15:17:50 »
Yes, this set seems like a no-brainer.  Everyone needs something basic.  The only thing that would sway me would be doing this with ePBT instead and switching to dyesub :P

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 16:25:25 »

Please include the same LED windowed keycaps that came with GMK Muted.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 16:56:08 »
Yes, this set seems like a no-brainer.  Everyone needs something basic.  The only thing that would sway me would be doing this with ePBT instead and switching to dyesub :P

R2 of ePBT BoW (icon mods and all) is currently running, FWIW. I have R1 and the white is perfectly bright without being glaring and the legends are good IMO. Only thing it doesn't have compared to this IC are the colored accents kit.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline zumu

• Professional Typist
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 21:48:28 »
R2 of ePBT BoW (icon mods and all) is currently running, FWIW. I have R1 and the white is perfectly bright without being glaring and the legends are good IMO. Only thing it doesn't have compared to this IC are the colored accents kit.

While I much prefer GMK to ePBT, you're right. I am going to have to put this on the back burner again.

Sadly, part of the reason I postponed this over the summer was the announcement of R1 ePBT BoW. The timing of this new announcement of R2 is truly unfortunate.

Offline js

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 22:45:49 »
I preordered a set of epbt bow r2. For me at least, if gmk paper launched today, I'd still get a set (or 2 depending on the price) :)

Offline ExuDeCandomble

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 12:58:19 »
As somebody who just received epbt BoW, I would much much much rather have this GMK kit at twice the price. While there is nothing wrong with the epbt set, for some of us pbt is no replacement for the sound, feel, and look of high quality abs. If you decide to go forward with the GB, then I for one will at least be enthusiastically on board.

Offline Sputnik

« Reply #134 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 13:45:26 »
GMK is GMK dot
I'm in for shure.
Keep on and make this happen

Offline silversung

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 20:53:24 »
Well I did not join the ePBT BoW because of this set. I would prefer GMK over ePBT at any day. The way ePBT is going, I think they are going to have (almost) regular runs of keysets (such as 9009 and BoW), so I think you may just go with this now. (Based on my uneducated guess with no background info tho.)

Offline runningngunning

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 20:29:10 »

Seconding that. I think this set would easily hit MOQ even with the Epbt running alongside it, seems like they exist for a different marke. Especially with how cheap it was supposedly going to be.

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 20:48:12 »
I already own the epbt BoW and would still join the GMK Paper GB. As much as I love PBT for the durability, you just can't get the crispy legends like you would on an ABS GMK set.

Offline vtachkov

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 22:08:02 »
Echoing what others have said. I bought epbt BoW (typing this now on it) and I would still prefer to have it in GMK and would likely buy two sets as well. Please make this happen! I know Massdrop has favor with GMK, but if they can offer a WoB set for $100, there's no reason we can't get a reasonably priced BoW set.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 22:56:32 »

While I much prefer GMK to ePBT, you're right. I am going to have to put this on the back burner again.

Sadly, part of the reason I postponed this over the summer was the announcement of R1 ePBT BoW. The timing of this new announcement of R2 is truly unfortunate.

To be clear, I only mentioned ePBT BoW r2 in reference to PixelPusher's comment, and in no way intended to dampen the IC or dissuade you from progressing with this IC for GMK BoW. I agree that GMK ABS legends/texture are different animals, and many prefer double-shot GMK over dye-sub PBT.

I will say that if this can be run at a lower price than more intricate/complex GMK kits, it would go a long way towards more orders once it goes to that phase.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline leece3

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 17:20:37 »
Heh, don't understand all the ePBT BoW comparison? I have both the eBPT set as well as the GMK Pristine, and currently typing this on the fresh GMK Olivia, which has the wonderful WS1 alphas.

Now, I love the Pristine set, no doubt my favorite one. But I think I still prefer the WS1, is wonderfully looking and no surprise more and more sets use it for the alphas. It is no mega mega super clean teeth white, like the ePBT set, but let me tell you from my usage. The ePBT set looks a bit cheap. Quite cheap actually. The best thing is the feel actually, which has very nice texture. But in the looks department is no comparison to GMK.. If you want artificially white, then maybe go with something WS2 like Monochrome, which no one ever has seen a whole keyboard with it.. WS1 and ePBT are totally different animals. And I prefer WS1 for sure. I also like Pristine, which is not really white. But WS1 looks like a really beautiful while not extreme white. ePBT BoW looks extreme and much cheaper.. So just roll GMK Paper on and I will join whenever it happens. Should be one of the most easy sets, next to, what was it, and all L9 set.. Actually wouldn't need the alphas at all, as I got them already, and to me they are the best of the Olivia set, as the Rose keys look more Rosa to me (than were visible on the Renders), and I am not a girl.. So I am not trusting any renders anymore. If you want bleaching white, WS1 is not it, but I just wish I had received the Paper set already and not Olivia... the alphas are really beautiful and I imagine my whole board would look like it.

PS. If I had seen the ePBT BoW before in real, I would have gone for some other traditional ePBT set instead (white / beige combo like 9009 or something from KPrepublic).. as I like the texture very much, but really not that white..

Offline Koatl

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 02:22:18 »
OP

Still planning on bringing this out some day? With GMK Originative arriving soon, I'm gonna be even more eager to pick up Paper to go with it.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline zumu

• Professional Typist
« Reply #142 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 23:13:55 »
Still planning on bringing this out some day? With GMK Originative arriving soon, I'm gonna be even more eager to pick up Paper to go with it.

I'd still like to get it out. Once the holidays wrap up, and I have some more time, I will get back to finding a vendor.

Offline ashwinv11

• give me foog
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 13:24:20 »

Same here :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 21:25:17 »
Any news on pricing and timing?

Offline Rumai

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 15:11:45 »
likely

Offline zumu

• Professional Typist
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 19:00:56 »

Nothing concrete yet, but I'm hoping to keep the price down and get this going early-ish 2019.

Offline ian13

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 20:55:49 »
I recently saw ePBT BoW set and was planning to buy that with slight hesitations. For some reason, super white on PBT is just meh for me and I much prefer an off-white or grey in PBT.
Having said that, I generally do not like the shine on ABS plastics especially on darker colored ones BUT (I also can't explain why) shine on white/light-colored GMK sets are actually pretty good! It just... looks good! I guess? :P

So please make this happen, I'll definitely join! Hopefully, it's not as expensive as other over-the-top colored GMK sets. We need simple sets like this since it is easier to match with accents/accent kits from other sets as well. I will be waiting for this together with ePBT kuro/shiro (depending on how the white on that turns out). :)

Offline koduh

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 18:57:20 »
Icon mods. Bleh.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 12:43:59 »

Nothing concrete yet, but I'm hoping to keep the price down and get this going early-ish 2019.

It is great. Save something to get it.