Author Topic: Unicomp blue APL set  (Read 4750 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Unicomp blue APL set
« on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 19:39:42 »
Hey guys,

I was browsing Unicomp's website today and noticed they offer this APL key set with blue sublegends, which seems like a cool alternative to the standard orange ones:

In fact, the only APL color they're currently showing is blue. I doubt they've actually discontinued the orange—but as you know, they tend to overlook things online. (I understand they have a bunch of products they haven't even made webpages, which you have to order by phone.)

Your choice of 101- or 104-key set, $35 + shipping.

The good news is, since only alphanumeric and punctuation keys have the APL symbols, you needn't use any of their text-legend keys, which are so noticeably different from IBM's/Lexmark's originals. (Did anyone ever figure out why they switched to such an inferior font? They seem to have a general preference for mechanics over esthetics—but why mess with something that looked so good?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Unicomp blue APL set
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 19:49:00 »
Well that's just dandy!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 20:16:42 »
Ain't it? I'd rather tell people about APL sets than eat.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 20:21:02 »
that retro aesthetic with modern Windows logo keys is kinda weird haha

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 19:13:29 »
Gives the blue label case a reason to exist.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 19:36:03 »
that retro aesthetic with modern Windows logo keys is kinda weird haha

That'd be only if you were using them on a 104-key Unicomp board, of course. I was thinking of using them on a classic M. In fact, I've ordered a set for that purpose. This concludes the part of the GF thread where I mention if I've bought the thing myself or not.

Gives the blue label case a reason to exist.

LOL... You could also use them on one of Unicomp's paradoxical blue-logo industrial-gray cases.