Author Topic: Unicomp blue APL set  (Read 4817 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Unicomp blue APL set
« on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 19:39:42 »
Hey guys,

I was browsing Unicomp's website today and noticed they offer this APL key set with blue sublegends, which seems like a cool alternative to the standard orange ones:

In fact, the only APL color they're currently showing is blue. I doubt they've actually discontinued the orange—but as you know, they tend to overlook things online. (I understand they have a bunch of products they haven't even made webpages, which you have to order by phone.)

Your choice of 101- or 104-key set, $35 + shipping.

The good news is, since only alphanumeric and punctuation keys have the APL symbols, you needn't use any of their text-legend keys, which are so noticeably different from IBM's/Lexmark's originals. (Did anyone ever figure out why they switched to such an inferior font? They seem to have a general preference for mechanics over esthetics—but why mess with something that looked so good?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Unicomp blue APL set
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 19:49:00 »
Well that's just dandy!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 20:16:42 »
Ain't it? I'd rather tell people about APL sets than eat.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 20:21:02 »
that retro aesthetic with modern Windows logo keys is kinda weird haha

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 19:13:29 »
Gives the blue label case a reason to exist.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 19:36:03 »
that retro aesthetic with modern Windows logo keys is kinda weird haha

That'd be only if you were using them on a 104-key Unicomp board, of course. I was thinking of using them on a classic M. In fact, I've ordered a set for that purpose. This concludes the part of the GF thread where I mention if I've bought the thing myself or not.

Gives the blue label case a reason to exist.

LOL... You could also use them on one of Unicomp's paradoxical blue-logo industrial-gray cases.