Author Topic: Problem with converted Zenith Z-150 (XT)  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Wazrach

• Buckling Spring Fanatic
Problem with converted Zenith Z-150 (XT)
« on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 05:46:54 »
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with my Z-150 keyboard. I got the internal converter for it by Orihalcon a few weeks ago, and it technically works because I'm typing on it right now, but every so often a keypress doesn't register, forcing me to backspace and correct it. It also seems to register keys as always being pressed, although this doesn't happen often and stops eventually. I contacted Orihalcon himself about this, and he doesn't have a solution. He did mention someone else was having this issue though. I was going to sell this as a fully-refurbished keyboard, so this is a big issue obviously.

I'd really appreciate some help if possible, thank you.

Offline kokokoy

Re: Problem with converted Zenith Z-150 (XT)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 06:19:30 »

Offline fer.real

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 06:53:35 »
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with my Z-150 keyboard. I got the internal converter for it by Orihalcon a few weeks ago, and it technically works because I'm typing on it right now, but every so often a keypress doesn't register, forcing me to backspace and correct it. It also seems to register keys as always being pressed, although this doesn't happen often and stops eventually. I contacted Orihalcon himself about this, and he doesn't have a solution. He did mention someone else was having this issue though. I was going to sell this as a fully-refurbished keyboard, so this is a big issue obviously.

I'd really appreciate some help if possible, thank you.

I'm in a similar position as you.  I just got a Black Label Z-150 and am in the process of restoring it.

AFIK, Orihalcon's converters don't work with the Z-150 (neither does Soarer's converter, which is what Orihalcon's is based on).  This is because the Z-150 uses its own version of the XT protocol.

Hasu has added some support for the Z-150 to the TMK xt_usb converter.  I'm currently helping test it.  have a look at this thread:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94649.msg2577469#msg2577469.

One thing I'm not sure about.  When you say Orihalcon's internal converter, which one are you referring to?  Can you provide a link?  I'm only aware of the dongle converters he makes for XT.  The only internal converters that I know of are the xwhatsit controllers that he sells, but I thought those were only for beamsprings.

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 07:15:07 »
You need to contact Orihalcon to get one of these converters, he doesn't sell them on Ebay. Here's a picture, you can see it in the top left, where the original cable normally connects: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1435217073 (It is a huge shame I cannot use this keyboard with the original cable...)

I don't know if I can afford another converter right now, especially since I've already bought one.

Thanks for the replies by the way.

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 06:47:51 »
So has anyone found a solution yet? Can I still use the converter I bought from Orihalcon?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 13:55:04 »
If you are still working on this issue, take a look at the following thread on Deskthority (DT):

https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/xt-zenith-z-150-converter-t12972-30.html#p354189

It seems that Soarer's converter works only partially.

However, I have gotten my Zenith Z-150 working perfectly with my keymap hex file based on Hasu's xt_usb converter flashed to a Teensy. I have also tried to get this working with an Orihalcon internal converter built on a Pro Micro board -- I can get it to flash, but the keyboard is unresponsive. I think the discrepancy is due to different pin assignments between the Pro Micro and Teensy.