Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nautilus Nightmares - GROUP BUY IS LIVE AT DROP!  (Read 95060 times)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
Re: [IC] GMK Nautilus Nightmares
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 18:55:06 »
Massdrop buys extras, but they don't buy that many extras. And I don't think it is good to have GMK making kits that are nowhere close to the MOQ.
I also think that if the numbers aren't there, we shouldn't put strain on the economy of the sets in order to prop them up.  I get it- I have layouts that I want to cover that I pay a lot more because of the structure of sets, or can't even cover with certain sets.  But that was my choice to use that layout.  There is only so long that this situation can keep going on without affecting other areas, and it shouldn't be viewed as a sustainable situation.

Yes, GMK loses valuable production time when making those kits that aren't close to reach the MOQ. And since I like to see more and more brand new sets getting done with GMK, this issue is something I'd like to avoid.

Offline jobicoppola

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 21:28:22 »
this is a classy looking set, and wouldn't you know, green is my favorite color. ALL GREEN EVERYTHING

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 21:40:57 »
Damn. I'd be in for both this set and a limited edition verne.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 00:05:01 »
Zambumon !
Nautilus was the first GMK set I bought. This looks phenomenal. I love the colorway.
Its so awesome that its unique, and elegant with just a handful of colors. I love this direction you have taken recently with Jamon, and samurai blue as well.

I'm totally in !

Two requests/questions :

- The novelties look really nice, but could you perhaps do more league inspired novelties, something like the motto for the Nautilus for instance ?
  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Nemo#Emblem (I think the nightmare version with the acent colors would look pretty good)
- Nemo. The Keyboard. When ? I get the Verne reference, but to be honest, the Nemo might be an even nicer pairing.
  - Can I assume that when the Nemo becomes real (if?) you will add colorways on the keyboard to support your sets ?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 05:05:15 »
1. I already considered that novelty for Nautilus. For this set, the general consensus is that people want me to add some ocean creatures.
2. I don't know, I'm currently remaking Nemo, it was my oldest keyboard out there and there are many things I wanted to change. Regarding colors: sure, why not.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 09:47:53 »
I'm thinking about adding an extra B to the 40s kit, so people with LZ Ergo, TGR Alice and EM7 could have a proper keycap on their boards.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 September 2018, 10:17:46 by Zambumon »

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 10:21:33 »
For this set, the general consensus is that people want me to add some ocean creatures.

Can we get a Cthulhlu ? perhaps :) ?

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 10:26:23 »
I'm thinking about adding an extra B to the 40s kit, so people with LZ Ergo, TGR Alice and EM7 could have a proper keycap on their boards.
Aren't those lucky guys supposed to buy 2 full sets?  :p

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 10:27:52 »
Aren't those lucky guys supposed to buy 2 full sets?  :p

Usually, what happens is that people will skip the kit, so I want to add an incentive for them to pick one of those 40s kits.

Offline brooklynlou

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 12:09:18 »
Love the two sets ... the chocolate and the nautilus.

Important question. ... What is a Percebe, and where do I get one ?   :D

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 12:15:55 »
Percebe is a 48 key keyboard designed by me. It comes with an integrated 4.5mm plate, hotswappable PCB, and USB-C connector amongs other things. I'll post more about this project in the near future, once some things get sorted out.

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 12:31:47 »
I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread! Hope it makes it to group buy.

As an aside, is the Andromeda compact 1800 something you've designed also? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Offline brooklynlou

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 12:45:00 »
Percebe is a 48 key keyboard designed by me. It comes with an integrated 4.5mm plate, hotswappable PCB, and USB-C connector amongs other things. I'll post more about this project in the near future, once some things get sorted out.

Cool.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 12:50:28 »
I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread! Hope it makes it to group buy.

As an aside, is the Andromeda compact 1800 something you've designed also? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Yes. Oblotzky wanted a 1800-CP board with a Percent-like design, that's what Andromeda is.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 14:43:45 »
Verne and Nemo are beautiful but that F96H takes my breath away, so brutally retro.

Love the theme of the set, all the glowing green text is like a thousand unblinking eyes staring in the wet dark.
Do you think accent keys using the brighter green of the text color would be too distracting/noisy?

I’m very eager to see what your take on a purple themed set might someday be!

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 16:06:40 »

Yes. Oblotzky wanted a 1800-CP board with a Percent-like design, that's what Andromeda is.

I don't mean to detract from the IC, but is this going to be available sometime? It's beautiful, especially when paired with Nautilus Nightmares.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 17:55:24 »
Verne and Nemo are beautiful but that F96H takes my breath away, so brutally retro.

Love the theme of the set, all the glowing green text is like a thousand unblinking eyes staring in the wet dark.
Do you think accent keys using the brighter green of the text color would be too distracting/noisy?

I’m very eager to see what your take on a purple themed set might someday be!

I think it would be distracting and that dark accents fit better with the nightmare theme.

I don't mean to detract from the IC, but is this going to be available sometime? It's beautiful, especially when paired with Nautilus Nightmares.

:thumb: Once things progress I'll post more info about it.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 18:23:19 »
In fact, I think that the result of doing this will be that I get more complains for having a 120 USD kit and a 30 USD International that is should fit the needs of most people rather than a 150 USD base kit with just the UK keys.

Man if you can get a GMK TKL set for ~120, I'm definitely in for this.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 18:26:58 »
In fact, I think that the result of doing this will be that I get more complains for having a 120 USD kit and a 30 USD International that is should fit the needs of most people rather than a 150 USD base kit with just the UK keys.

And possibly under 100 USD at higher tiers.  ;D

Offline Delirious

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 19:15:33 »
1. The main set has two of the tab key, I dont know if anyone pointed out for you yet.
2. Can we have some alternate color F keys? I for once actually enjoy uniformed F-row.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 19:28:48 »
1. The main set has two of the tab key, I dont know if anyone pointed out for you yet.
2. Can we have some alternate color F keys? I for once actually enjoy uniformed F-row.

1. It's intentional, and I point in the OP why

A second  R2 1.50U Tab key has also been included on this kit. This eccentric addition allows
you to potentially reuse some of your extra modifiers on another keyboard. For instance, you’d be able
to cover a standard ANSI TKL keyboard and reuse the extra modifiers on an HHKB layout.

2. Fewer kits are better, and alternate rows are not essential, as they don't provide any extra coverage and there isn't a huge demand for them.

Offline godinjointform

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 22:20:57 »
This is right up my alley, both for the theme and colors. Definitely excited! :D

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 06:47:35 »
A couple days ago I mentioned the idea of including an extra B on the 40s kit. My goal with it is to encourage more people with high-end split keyboards which have doubled Bs (such as the EM7, TGR Alice, and LZ Ergo) to have a good reason to get this kit and not skip it. For clarity issues, I've also been thinking about updating its name "splitboards and 40s".

Let me know what you think about this idea.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 08:19:10 »
A couple days ago I mentioned the idea of including an extra B on the 40s kit. My goal with it is to encourage more people with high-end split keyboards which have doubled Bs (such as the EM7, TGR Alice, and LZ Ergo) to have a good reason to get this kit and not skip it. For clarity issues, I've also been thinking about updating its name "splitboards and 40s".

Show Image

though it will make me sad to buy a big kit like that for 3 keys, still worth it.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 08:23:26 »

Show Image

though it will make me sad to buy a big kit like that for 3 keys, still worth it.

I think it's a win-win situation. The kit should be roughly the same price as a spacebar kit, so for most it shouldn't be a huge difference getting this or the spacebar kit. At least this way split keyboard users would be more keen on getting one of these instead of just the spacebars.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 September 2018, 08:25:10 by Zambumon »

Offline Owl-

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 09:53:18 »

Show Image

I think it's a win-win situation. The kit should be roughly the same price as a spacebar kit, so for most it shouldn't be a huge difference getting this or the spacebar kit. At least this way split keyboard users would be more keen on getting one of these instead of just the spacebars.

I'd be extra keen if there's an extra 2u bar in the kits. The extra B and name adjustment work for me.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 10:22:31 »

Show Image

I'd be extra keen if there's an extra 2u bar in the kits. The extra B and name adjustment work for me.

Same here.  I haven't explicitly asked for this before- but it would be nice so I don't have to hunt down another after the fact.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 10:42:25 »
Same here.  I haven't explicitly asked for this before- but it would be nice so I don't have to hunt down another after the fact.

Most layouts with split spacebars are using 2.00 and 2.75 or 2.25 and 2.75 (that way you can use any decent GMK base kit to cover it) so I asume this is for a 40 percent layout, am I right?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 11:15:42 »

Most layouts with split spacebars are using 2.00 and 2.75 or 2.25 and 2.75 (that way you can use any decent GMK base kit to cover it) so I asume this is for a 40 percent layout, am I right?

The fact that it's not common is the reason that I haven't asked... but the symmetrical spacebar layout is becoming more popular it seems.  No, mine isn't for a 40%, it's for a split Keyboard and the Clueboard.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 12:45:18 »

Yooooo that would be amazing. That would be a GMK set for lower than any stock kb I own :P

Definitely excited to see how this goes.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 15:04:48 »

I'm really liking how this sounds

Offline garbo

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 15:20:55 »

Planck PCBs support double 2u spacebars as a standard layout as of the latest revision. (It has also been a thing on a few of the Chinese planck-like PCBs and probably a few split ortho boards, too, FWIW)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 15:32:25 »
Good to know.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 20:37:09 »
JD40 also has double 2U space bar option

Offline ablehart

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 10:22:07 »
Very nice set. I’d get it.

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 09:43:31 »
I realise it's not going to happen, but I'm dreaming of a Norde/International kit for this set! Looks even better than the original Nautilus IMO :)

Offline jacobavenkraft

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 10:26:43 »
A mod-colored quotes key would be a nice addition for the 40's kit for additional planck/preonic support.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 10:49:38 »
A mod-colored quotes key would be a nice addition for the 40's kit for additional planck/preonic support.

That's up to how much interest there is on this set.

Offline jacobavenkraft

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 10:57:07 »

Understood, thanks!  I prefer original Nautilus colors and wasn't very interested in this set at first, but it is starting to grow on me. Hopefully it will grow on others too.

Offline saucybulgogi

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 11:06:54 »
Love the color way! Hope I can join when GB drops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 11:21:41 »
Love the color way! Hope I can join when GB drops

You've got plenty of time, I don't think this will get into the GB stage any time soon.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 12:36:33 »

I second the motion!

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 10:40:07 »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects

Offline AtariZeroTV

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 11:07:05 »
 ;)

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 06:57:38 »
I am auto in for this set but looks like this is far from GB stage yet.  ;D

Will you add new novelties?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 07:01:06 »
I am auto in for this set but looks like this is far from GB stage yet.  ;D

Will you add new novelties?

Most likely

Offline Champalan

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 13:28:37 »
Count me in for 2 sets from the looks of it!

Offline NicoWilde

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 15:08:21 »
Getting into this hobby earlier this year, I thought the GMK Laser would be the only set id want...now im in the Monochrome, and now seeing this set reminds me of my HP Lovecraft love and the fandom Cthulhu games...This is going to be an insta buy from me!

Offline nachie

• KapCave
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 15:17:50 »
I really like the green. Might be the first GMK set I get if I don't get Chocolatier :)
AHKB | GSKT-00 | Arya | Båge | Paladin64