Author Topic: 3D printed keycaps from Shapeways  (Read 1787 times)

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
3D printed keycaps from Shapeways
« on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 11:35:12 »
I recently ordered some 3D printed keycaps from Shapeways to get a feel for what they're like. I gotta say, their "Strong and Flexible Polished" plastic leaves a lot to be desired. From a novelty standpoint they're fine, and especially for the price it's hard to complain (most are just $5-10), but they've got a ways to go before competing with artisan keys.

I recently found out there are 3D printers that can do multi-color plastic blends, but they're very expensive to own so not many of them are out there. In the future once 3D printing evolves to be able to do higher quality plastics in multi-color en masse, I think we'll see some really awesome stuff. Particularly, multi-piece designs that require exact precision are something I'm looking forward to. There's a 3-piece astronaut keycap below.

Here's a longer write-up of my thoughts with some more photos.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: 3D printed keycaps from Shapeways
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 13:58:32 »
There is an IC going on right now here on GH for a reactor keycap inspired by Iron Man shown here that is part CNC and part 3D printing that are shaping up to look very cool.  I certainly see 3D printing getting better and better in the coming years, but I do like the combination approach on the reactor that works towards both CNCs and 3D printings strengths.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)