Author Topic: Copper tape wiring  (Read 2138 times)

Offline DonnyD

Copper tape wiring
« on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 13:53:36 »
Anyone tried wiring something with copper tape ? Will it be enough for current in the keyboard ? It can help make hand wired keyboard a bit thinner, so i though i ask before i do it. Whats your thought on that ?

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
Re: Copper tape wiring
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 04:08:26 »
Anyone tried wiring something with copper tape ? Will it be enough for current in the keyboard ? It can help make hand wired keyboard a bit thinner, so i though i ask before i do it.

Don't worry about the current ;) the copper tape is likely thicker than the copper on a PCB and there is not really much current flowing anyways. As long as your traces are not like 0,05mm wide (which i doubt) you are save ;)
;)

Whats your thought on that ?

I think it's a good new idea. We only can move on if we try something new and also we me fail, but than we learned something. So I'm looking forward to your results  :thumb:

Offline DonnyD

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 06:54:56 »
I will most likely try it. I worst case, I can rip all tape ant stick to well-trusted wires :D I just need to figure out how i will do matrix, so the tape wont touch each other. I thought buying some sort of non-conductive film and place it in between row-column layers, so it wont touch(like on PCB). Cut holes for switches and pins to go trough and solder. I will do more research on that.

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 14:39:35 »
Hm... would have said copper -> electircal tape -> copper. Should be the cheapest option ;)

Offline DonnyD

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 15:00:51 »
I am will be using kapton tape, because why not, its meant for that. As big kapton pieces are expensive, I will buy 12mm width and wire matrix like that. So kapton-copper circuit will literally replace wires place.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 01:01:58 »
I personally don't think that you would gain much from this endeavor. There would be little gain for a lot of effort. If the goal is to make it thinner, enameled copper wire should get you as thin as you could go. I got down to where I had to cut or bend the contact pins off the switches, there was just enough space for the center pin. IIRC it was 7.5mm between the tops of the plates.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95389.0