Author Topic: My dream: a mechanical gaming keyboard with a trackpoint  (Read 11345 times)

Offline Warm Woolly Sheep

My dream: a mechanical gaming keyboard with a trackpoint
« on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 20:27:20 »
When this site first opened I curated a list of every desktop keyboard with a trackpoint. They were mostly out of production, and there were few mechanical options. (I could dig up the list and try to update it again if there's any interest.)

Mechanical keyboards have blown up since then, but it doesn't look like trackpoints have had the same luck :(

Aside from Unicomp's offering, am I missing a great mechanical keyboard with a trackpoint that's still in production?

Offline Lanrefni

Re: My dream: a mechanical gaming keyboard with a trackpoint
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 06:15:00 »
Tex Yoda,Tex Yoda II are the only ones I can think of.

Offline JeremyLLawson

• Jeremy Lawson [dot] com
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 12:39:12 »
Ohh I love this idea as I've always loved trackpoints.  I didn't even realize the Unicomp with trackpoint was still being produced.

On a random note one of the projects I've had in the back of my mind for a while now is a full sized custom keyboard of my own making that would have a trackpoint and the left/right click buttons vertical instead of next to each other similar to what my ancient Toshiba Satellite Pro had for better ambidextrous use.  I'd also like to integrate a scroll wheel and back/forward buttons on the left similar to my MS RT9450 keyboard for browsing/scrolling.  And it just so happens that I've got a junk RT9450 here I can play around with one of these days.  But I've never built a keyboard from scratch but I can learn, right? 
Resistance is Futile

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 21:44:13 »
For the longest time, I've wanted an ordinary full-size mechanical keyboard with unrestricted chording and a well-implemented TrackPoint. Sounds easy, right?

(By "well-implemented," I mean: with the correct, non-wobbly action, adjustable tracking speed (changing the operating system pointer sensitivity is unacceptable, since that setting will also affect other pointing devices), mouse buttons that use mouse-style switches, proper placement (in the center of the alphanumeric cluster-- I suppose it might be nice to have a pointing device near the arrows, probably upwards and to the right of them, for simultaneous use with the number pad, but this would have to be a second TrackPoint if present, as it does not substitute for having one in the normal position), and good quality overall.)

Well...the EnduraPro fails on chording and on some of the TrackPoint characteristics, while the various Tex products fail on form factor and other TrackPoint characteristics. The Access-IS keyboard with a TrackPoint fails on, at the very least, TrackPoint placement (I can't find information about its chording) and is difficult to obtain. The Lenovo ThinkPad board has a proper TrackPoint but fails at form factor, chording, and mechanicity. So this very simple-sounding ask is just plain unavailable, with nothing even on the horizon. sigh
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 02:11:23 »
Some great ideas in this thread! Keyboards have changed a lot this past decade, and almost all for the better. In 2007 a "high quality" keyboard was a membrane board with a bunch of media keys 😂 Maybe trackpoints will be the next big thing.

I've had my eye on the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard for its trackpoint module, but they're such a small operation it's hard to trust them. I'd also like to mention the EnduraPro has a 4 key rollover, making it useless for gaming.

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 12:12:39 »
Mechanical Keyboards w/ Pointing Stick currently in production / pre-production:

• Unicomp EnduraPro
  • Tex Yoda II
  • Ultimate Hacking Keyboard w/ trackpoint module
  • Tex Shinobi

Any I'm missing?

Offline blighty

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 14:22:44 »
If you don't mind MX blacks, this is a full size, NKRO (or  6kro, don't recall) with trackpoint.

I had one, let a friend borrow it, he spilled something in it.  Missed it enough to buy another one.  Lately it sits in a box, but when I need a scan a passport or credit card, I'm covered...  LOL

243026-0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCESS-IS-USB-Keyboard-w-Magnetic-Card-Reader-AKEATUA307-6-A1392/184232917671?hash=item2ae5233aa7:g:~tUAAOSw7RJegiOH
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)