Author Topic: Hello People!  (Read 2213 times)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Hello People!
« on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 21:45:44 »
Hello fellow enthusiasts!

While I've been a bit in the keyboard scene I've never gone past just buying a mech keyboard off the shelf.
About half a year ago I bought my first topre, the limited edition 89s (I'm a light typer and this is still my favorite keyboard to date).
Recently I ordered myself a poker 2 and IBM model M.
After seeing mods on massdrop and from extensive talks with my friend (who's much deeper down the rabbit hole) I've started aiming to make my own modified keyboard (and I also had an idea for a novelty keyboard that I want to design) and all this led me here!
I'm a bit known among my friends to go deep down the rabbit hole in hobbies I pick up. My main hobby is being an audiophile right now where I own about $3000 worth of equipment at the moment xp
(People on headfi might recognize my username?)

Anyway, nice to meet you all!

Offline Hundrakia

Re: Hello People!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 23:15:03 »
Welcome! I haven't really gotten to spend much time around head-fi, mostly because going on there makes me way more sad than going on here when I can't purchase all of the awesome stuff. What kind of setup do you have for audio?

P.s., Poker II is fun! I can't speak for the Model M, it's been YEARS since I've last used one of those :D

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 23:54:27 »
Welcome! I haven't really gotten to spend much time around head-fi, mostly because going on there makes me way more sad than going on here when I can't purchase all of the awesome stuff. What kind of setup do you have for audio?

P.s., Poker II is fun! I can't speak for the Model M, it's been YEARS since I've last used one of those :D

I have the Astell and Kern AK120 on the way in the mail (sold my fiio x5). I will be getting the Lyr 2 hybrid amp.
For headphones I have the limited edition W3000anv from audio technica (stunning wood cups on those) as well as the JH Roxanne universals.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 23:57:22 »

I have the Astell and Kern AK120 on the way in the mail (sold my fiio x5). I will be getting the Lyr 2 hybrid amp.
For headphones I have the limited edition W3000anv from audio technica (stunning wood cups on those) as well as the JH Roxanne universals.

I've been really intrigued by the Schiit gear. From the aesthetics to the glowing reviews, it does seem like it'd be right up my alley in terms of what I'd want. Now to try to find one for listening up here, that's a true challenge lol.
I basically have to buy blind!

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 01:42:54 »

I've been really intrigued by the Schiit gear. From the aesthetics to the glowing reviews, it does seem like it'd be right up my alley in terms of what I'd want. Now to try to find one for listening up here, that's a true challenge lol.
I basically have to buy blind!

That's always the problem!
I've owned almost every flagship headphone at some point and keep feeling disappointed in one way or another. The most enjoyable was the TH900 from Fostex.
I didn't like any of the higher end schiit gear, though they use very different designs for each piece so going higher end isn't necessarily a direct upgrade.
I've had such bad experiences when buying blind (Final audio FIBASS and beyerdynamic T5p). Gotta be so careful about reviews.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:55:21 »
oh so now you are looking for another place to spend your money :) my colleague is an audiophile, and we are always trying to convert eachother.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:57:30 »
oh so now you are looking for another place to spend your money :) my colleague is an audiophile, and we are always trying to convert eachother.

Damn right!
I hit a bit of a road block in audio. Having tried most of the top of the line headphones, I understand that I'd have to spend about $4000 to go up a step for my end game purchase and I definitely don't want to do that.
Instead I'll get myself a nice pair of custom earbuds but getting those depends solely on the sale of a couple of things, the main one being my audio technicas. In the mean time I have a bit of disposable cash so I ordered a bunch of cherry mx springs from the group buy that's up and I'll just test different weightings and such and see if I prefer it over my 30g topre.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 20:24:57 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There are a few audiophiles around here, and most of us are trying to juggle several hobbies.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 20:36:34 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There are a few audiophiles around here, and most of us are trying to juggle several hobbies.

I feel like both hobbies do well together (unless you use open back headphones with a clicky switch!)

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 21:16:01 »
I want to try the AKG K712s I think. Or senns of some variety, one day soon! But I like the clack, it helps me rhythmically get in the zone

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 21:17:57 »
I want to try the AKG K712s I think. Or senns of some variety, one day soon! But I like the clack, it helps me rhythmically get in the zone

AKG and Beyer are definitely not for me =[
And I agree that while nice open backs are impressive they don't really pair well with clacks!
(I'm using my JH Roxannes at my computer at the moment and can still ear the clacks of my blues through the double flange tips I put on)

Offline Sniping

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 23:13:53 »
Hey man, I'm glad that you liked the 30g Topre and dug deeper into the keyboard world!

I'm pretty much done with headphones too, but my setup isn't as nice as yours. Geekhack is a totally cool place to get addicted to keyboards.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 00:21:48 »
Hey man, I'm glad that you liked the 30g Topre and dug deeper into the keyboard world!

I'm pretty much done with headphones too, but my setup isn't as nice as yours. Geekhack is a totally cool place to get addicted to keyboards.

Not really done ;P Just at a stand still
I'm aiming at getting a CIEM (Noble K10) but that's completely dependent on the sale of my W3000anv