Author Topic: 'Nother noob  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Deimos

'Nother noob
« on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 00:28:42 »
Hello...very much the noob here (and a girl besides).

I'm going to be modding my first keyboard, but only just a bit
I have a background in electronics from working for an aerospace company for years, but I only modded black boxes (and they didn't have keyboards  :)) ) so I'm still going to need some help with my project.

Offline yuppie

Re: 'Nother noob
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 00:55:41 »

I have a background in electronics from working for an aerospace company for years, but I only modded black boxes (and they didn't have keyboards  :)) ) so I'm still going to need some help with my project.

Welcome! I recognize this name from somewhere... Do you happen to also go by the name "Dread"?
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Deimos

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 01:10:02 »

Welcome! I recognize this name from somewhere... Do you happen to also go by the name "Dread"?

Thank you. :-)

I am on other forums with the name Deimos (the RPF for one), but none with the name "Dread" .

Offline yuppie

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 01:17:32 »

Thank you. :-)

I am on other forums with the name Deimos (the RPF for one), but none with the name "Dread" .

It's a name from an old game I used to play.

So, what boards are your favorite? Are you into Artisans?
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Deimos

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 01:33:51 »
Remember the "noob" part?
I had to google what you were talking about with the Artisan question.  :-[

All I've ever used are your run-of-the-mill pedestrian desktop keyboards.

However (comma) ... (and this is my project which I will post about soon)... I've always liked the boards with the clicky keys, so I bought a Rosewill RK-9000V2 (full 104 keyboard) to mod.

Had to do a little reading before I bought it.
Considered  Duckyshine, DAS, Corsair, and read a lot of reviews.
I didn't want to spend a lot of money (paid $80 for mine) in case I mess it up, but I also wanted reliability (in case I DON'T mess it up   :))  )     

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 12:19:26 »
W00t! RPF:er here since '02 with another name ("Darth Lars" there... Don't ask. Stupid name, but I got stuck with it).
I found some of the same collecting and building mentality here as there... except that the (mental) age may be a bit lower. You'll fit right in. :)

I have been able to apply my skills acquired from plastic armour/prop making to modding keyboard cases - often also of ABS plastic, I.e. styrene blends.
"Artisans" that some people make and/or collect are keyboard keycaps, often cast in urethane resin.

Most keyboard building and modding don't require deep electronics experience. Most keyboard built "from scratch" use off-the-shelf microcontroller boards just hooked up to diodes and switches, and there is freely available firmware to load on them that are relatively easy to mod if you have some programming experience.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 August 2017, 12:38:52 by Findecanor »

Offline Deimos

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 14:30:05 »
W00t! RPF:er here since '02 with another name ("Darth Lars" there... Don't ask. Stupid name, but I got stuck with it).
I found some of the same collecting and building mentality here as there... except that the (mental) age may be a bit lower. You'll fit right in. :)

I have been able to apply my skills acquired from plastic armour/prop making to modding keyboard cases - often also of ABS plastic, I.e. styrene blends.
"Artisans" that some people make and/or collect are keyboard keycaps, often cast in urethane resin.

Most keyboard building and modding don't require deep electronics experience. Most keyboard built "from scratch" use off-the-shelf microcontroller boards just hooked up to diodes and switches, and there is freely available firmware to load on them that are relatively easy to mod if you have some programming experience.

Hey "Darth Lars"  :))  woot! Woot! right back!  Glad I have met a "familiar" face here.

I have learned an incredible amount of "how to" from the RPF....have built some props already, nothing so elaborate as armour, tho.

I have been taking woodworking classes for a year  (another semester coming up in Sept), and last semester I took a welding class at the local JC.
Welding can be pretty heavy duty, but I also learned brazing, and that comes in handy for doing finer/more detailed work.

The RPF "lessons" encouraged me to try the keyboard mod, but I'm also gratified that you have mentioned  your experiences and also have offered encouragement.
(I sometimes will suddenly lose confidence in my abilities to do something new).

Anyway, I have to take some pics of the keyboard I have already opened so as to show what I want to change, and also write up a little narrative with all my questions.
Will get to it maybe by the weekend.   
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 August 2017, 14:47:07 by Deimos »