Author Topic: [GB] (Shipped) Orthocode | Keyboard Kit w/ Encoder  (Read 5567 times)

Offline Jrodna

• OrthoCode Github
[GB] (Shipped) Orthocode | Keyboard Kit w/ Encoder
« on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 06:44:39 »
274070-0
274072-1
274074-2274076-3274078-4

GB Ends September 12th, Midnight EST
GB Now Closed
Hi Everyone! Orthocode is a through hole keyboard kit, designed to offer ergonomic improvements while still fitting with current layouts for games and keeping standard keycap compatibility.
It is equipped with a rotary encoder and utilises a USB C port.

Pricing
Full kit: $240 NZD
No Case: $160 NZD
No Case No Plate: $85 NZD

Check out the store page here orthocodekb.com
Interest check here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113873.0

Disclaimer

This is a keyboard kit and requires soldering to build.
All parts will be ordered once the group buy is closed, a lead time of around 8 weeks is expected but delays can happen.
Estimated ship date is mid-November.

Features:
  • MX footprints
  • All Through hole components
  • Thumb clusters
  • Rotary encoder
  • RGB underglow support
  • Grid layout
  • Standard keyset compatibility
  • USB C
  • Layered Acrylic case

Options:
  • Acrylic case colour: Black, Frosted, Clear, Dark Grey Tint, Green tint
  • Two plate options with flex cutouts and without
    • 274080-5
    • 274082-6
  • Keycap colour: Black NEM, White WFJ, Grey GTW, Green VCR

274084-7274086-8274088-9

Included in the box:
  • PCB
  • ATmega32A microcontroller pre-flashed with bootloader and default qmk firmware keymap.
  • All necessary components for a fully functional pcb
  • Aluminium plate (Choose your variation, shown in photos)
  • Acrylic layered case (Plate required to use case)
  • Aluminium Knob
  • 4x 2u DSA PBT Keycaps

Required but not included

• USB Type-C Cable
  • MX style switches and keycaps
  • 6x Screw in stabilizers (Plate mount not supported)
  • Philips head screwdriver
  • 2mm Allen Key
  • Flush / Diagonal cutters
  • Soldering iron
  • Solder
Build guide
Design Files / Github

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 November 2021, 17:09:56 by Jrodna »

Offline Jrodna

• OrthoCode Github
Re: [GB] Orthocode | Keyboard Kit w/ Encoder GB Open August 11th - 29th
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 22:44:10 »
Due to Covid lockdown in NZ being extended I am extending the groupbuy for another 2 weeks. Now ending September 12th, Midnight EST.

Offline PancakeGoon

• *•° tape hiss *•~
    • goonf!sh.beets~
Re: [GB] Orthocode | Keyboard Kit w/ Encoder GB Open August 11th - September 12th
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 23:27:35 »
Whats up with the lack of any pics with the acrylic case colors? What exactly is the $240 ($170 usd) actually paying for‽ Because that is tiptoeing the line of high quality, CNC/Laser cut, R&D-proto'd, All-the-Bells+Whistles-Money, so is there more than just a simple Ponoko-ordered sandwich case in this thing, and is the friggin' plate gonna look so...janky on the final build!?

Because I also see you call them "flex cuts", and I'm no engineer, but it looks like you were going for a leaf-spring aesthetic but that's definitely not how leaf-spring works... it doesn't actually look all that functional. So what was your reasoning behind the placement/shape/size of the cuts, and how do they effect the sound? Any sound tests (preferrably comparing the two versions, and showing flexibility differences)? Was there even an Interest Check for this thing (I have not checked, but figure it would have been linked)?

The aluminum cuts look like they were done with a handsaw & drill on a first-time project... and the fact that these were used for the group buy photos is cause for alarm, in my opinion.

Offline Jrodna

• OrthoCode Github
Re: [GB] Orthocode | Keyboard Kit w/ Encoder GB Open August 11th - September 12th
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 05:38:14 »
Sorry about there not being pictures of the different case colours, the supplier for the laser cutter I am using does not provide any real examples of the colour. Based on the interest check numbers (linked in the post but here it is again https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113873.0) I didn't want to spend the money to get each of them made since I wouldn't be making it back. It is a sandwich case but I am getting it made at the same place that is doing the plate here in NZ. The plate mainly looks jank due to the sticker residue that was on the aluminium in the prototype, at the time I didnt get any finish done on it. The production run will be finished at the laser cutter with an orbital sand so would be much less jank looking.

In terms of what the price is paying for, mostly the production and packaging, at runs this size even getting boxes is a significant cost. I dont expect to make much if any money off this, I created this design and a few people showed they'd possibly want to order one so here we are.

It is mainly the aesthetic, I thought it might do something but I doubt the do much. Hence the option to get the plate without the cutouts. There is a sound test but only of the original design with the cutouts here. Again like the acrylic colours getting aluminium cut is expensive and I dont have the resources to get the variation cut out as well. Not to mention I don't have copious amounts of switches and stabs to build all possible variations.

Lastly, if you don't like the case or even the plate you can order the kit without them. I have provided all the design files open source so if you want to adjust it yourself and make it better you are most welcome to.
This is the first time I have ever run something like this so I don't expect to get it all right, and I appreciate the criticism.

Offline Jrodna

• OrthoCode Github
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 16:59:59 »
Group buy is now closed, I am now starting to order the components and packaging.

Offline Jrodna

• OrthoCode Github
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 21:38:42 »
PCBs arrived today!!
276347-0
276349-1

Offline Jrodna

• OrthoCode Github
Everything has arrived!!
Hi Everyone,
The acrylic and aluminium has just arrived, now all that is left to do is build one up for test and program all the MCUs so you all get a default layout. Hopefully I'll be starting to ship out in just over a week.
278021-0
The ones of you that ordered green are in for a treat, it looks fantastic
278023-1
And a quick preview of the keycaps
278025-2
Super excited to get these out to all of you, will keep you posted on when I start shipping.

Offline Jrodna

• OrthoCode Github
Orders are being shipped!!!
Have a nice pile here going out all over the world.

278293-0

Can't wait for everyone to receive them.

Offline Jrodna

• OrthoCode Github
Re: [GB] (Shipped) Orthocode | Keyboard Kit w/ Encoder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 03:41:40 »
Now selling the spares from the group buy.

orthocodekb.com

Price for spares: $280 NZD ~$200 USD

Available Stock at time of posting
Total complete kits: 7

Cases:
  • 3x Frosted Acrylic
  • 2x Clear
  • 1x Green Tint
  • 1x Grey Tint

Plates
  • 4x With Cutouts
  • 3x Without Cutouts