Author Topic: [IC] Autumn 65 keyboard  (Read 7816 times)

Offline Stanky

[IC] Autumn 65 keyboard
« on: Thu, 12 May 2022, 10:06:56 »
Autumn65 keyboard

Designed by Stanky

INTEREST CHECK FORM: https://forms.gle/UZQXZoUhm3qRAWh46

Sound test Video

Hello, this is Stanky and this is my take on the 65%,
allow me to introduce you to the Autumn65, a 65% keyboard with a top-right blocker.
It has been a year since I started this project and finally, I find that it is in a stage whereby I am comfortable sharing it with the internet.

Prologue
The autumn65 is a 65% dual gasket mounted keyboard with a top-right blocker. What sparked this whole project was that I was not truly satisfied with the keyboards that are currently out there, some may look really good but lack in terms of sound and feel and some others excels in the sound and feel department, but design-wise don't do it for me.

some goals I set for myself when I started this project are:
1. a keyboard that has to sound flawless in the sense that the case should not be hollow without any filler materials ( such as foam and polyfill)
2. the keyboard should have a soft but not overly bouncy feel to it. just enough to absorb any vibrations to reduce hand fatigue, but not too much where it feels like a trampoline
3. low front height so no wrist rest is needed ( under 20mm)
4. have a decent weight to it
5. top right blocker!

Design process

Allow me to share about the design process of the keyboard, as it has been a long and fun journey and i really learned a lot of things in the process of it. Seeing my board from a simple rectangle on CAD turning into something that I am typing on right now is really something.

In the past year I have gone through many many many versions in cad and also half a dozen prototypes, the board is finally ready and dare I say, this is one of if not the best sounding and feeling board I have yet to type on thus far. (trust me I have been on countless boards)

Design philosophy
1. Why another 65% with top right blocker?
well...i like it :)
2. The word 秋 is chosen as I am born in the autumn season and 秋 means autumn in Chinese (Yes I am Chinese)

To get that pop I want in the board, I went with a two-tone design for the weight and this not only provides a visual pop to the back of the board, but it also serves as an access hatch to route the wire for the daughterboard.

Mechanical Design
In order to complete the first goal I set for myself, I have gone through a lot of testing and experimenting with case height and weight layout to get the optimal setup that allows for a board with no hollowness and yet doesn't sacrifice on feel.
In order to achieve a uniform sound across all rows and have no hollowness to the board, I choose to use a dual mount gasket system, however, if you choose, there is the option to run it fully as an isolated gasket mount or a gummy O-ring mount.

(the DB will be held in with 4 screws, I just ran out of screws :blank:)
I have chosen to place the daughterboard reversed hidden below the back weight is to firstly allow for easy routing of wires and also to allow for the USB port to sit low and near the table as I find low USB ports to be nicer as the cable will not be suspended in the air.

For the top case, I went with a uniform top and side bezel with a thin 6.5mm width to keep the board looking sleek. and also added a top-right blocker with it offset to follow the chamfered edges to keep the uniformity of the bezels.

The board is finished with a small fillet to keep the board looking sharp yet gentle to the hands.

In order to offer a comfortable typing experience, the front height is 18.5mm but with the lip, it is around 16mm, and a typing degree of 6.5 degrees

For the side profile of the board, I have gone with a classic shelf design to allow for easy pick up of the board and also with a slight contour to add a little bit of spice to it.
I have added a cherry lip to keep visual uniformity on the bezels and also to give your hands a more comfortable surface to rest on.

Next step forward
1.Due to the sheer amount of parts (total of 7 CNC parts) and machining needed due to the complexity, and also I choose to go with one of the highest quality manufacturers in the industry to guarantee the quality, the price of this board will not be cheap, definitely on the higher end of the price spectrum.
2. I have plans of running 100-150 sets as this is my first time running a GB so prefer to start with a smaller number ( also causes the price to go up a little)
3.please join the discord channel https://discord.gg/9nCenzuE4Kfor updates and also discussions or just to hang out and chill

4. This is still a work in progress so all things are subject to change.

I have plans to make badges or even weights out of titanium Damascus so stay tuned.

Thank you for reading, have a nice day!

Pictures

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 June 2022, 09:42:52 by Stanky »

Offline chorb

Re: [IC] Autumn 65 keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 May 2022, 11:05:58 »
mspaint engineering

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 May 2022, 11:17:13 »
!65
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline elvenmonster

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 May 2022, 16:12:27 »
Looks quite solid!

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 13:11:11 »
Very good looking design and the thought process behind the mounting style sounds like it will indeed sound and feel extremely good! I’ll be keeping an eye on this for sure and looking forward to seeing how things develop. Wishing you all the best on your first GB and lots of success with this and any potential future projects that you work on! 💪
Founder of FitLabb.com - an online fitness & nutrition platform
YouTube - FitLabb

Offline Bennettb

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 15:02:47 »
Looks amazing! Do you have videos of your prototypes? I would love to see how your design evolved.

Offline Stanky

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 23:16:54 »
Looks amazing! Do you have videos of your prototypes? I would love to see how your design evolved.

Thanks for the support! You can join my discord and i may post it there.

Offline nurungjii

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 May 2022, 10:38:30 »
This looks amazing! Do you plan on doing any other colors for the board?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 May 2022, 11:44:02 »
100-150 is too  much if it is your first time  try something like 10    Am  also doing this small group buy . and Yes yes
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline superjackie

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 May 2022, 11:46:37 »
love the circle logo on top right. looks better than qiu since there's already a big qiu at the bottom

Offline superjackie

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 May 2022, 11:54:59 »
love the light blue color. hotswap plz!

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 May 2022, 16:16:09 »
Kyuu 2

Offline geekonerd

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 May 2022, 02:03:37 »
Simple and sleek design. This is what's my ideal keyboard look. I am done with all the RGB extra neon light sh*t.
I created Gacha Neon Mod

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 May 2022, 14:40:47 »
looks great, and very inspirational to me. i'm currently starting my own keyboard design, but the layout I've chosen is slightly more... daunting. best of luck!
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline LegendsWorks

• thocc
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 May 2022, 15:08:30 »
What in the kyuu

Offline Stanky

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 May 2022, 00:05:11 »

So far from the ic, most probably will add lilac
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 May 2022, 00:06:46 by Stanky »

Offline Stanky

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 May 2022, 00:09:06 »
looks great, and very inspirational to me. i'm currently starting my own keyboard design, but the layout I've chosen is slightly more... daunting. best of luck!

Glad that you like it!, all the best to your upcoming project!